from the heart - you're greatest hero boxer and why - 1 line

Tyrone Woodley : "Go Big"

Seriously though:

Roberto Duran: "I'm not God - but I am something similar."

Bernard Hopkins - Left prison and dedicated his life to boxing and set MW title defense record, on his own terms, giving a big F-U to the promoters. Truly based

I also like that he changed his nick name to the Alien and came out with an Alien mask. God bless him

The Alien was wack as hell as both a nickname and a mask when compared to The Executioner. Like B-Hop otherwise though.

The Alien was wack as hell as both a nickname and a mask when compared to The Executioner. Like B-Hop otherwise though.

Oh, i def like the executioner much more too. Just thought it was goofy as hell, especially the mask. The mask was like that 1990's Alien fad design, made me legit LOL when he came out with it

Don't doubt his greatness. I grew up watching him, Benn, Eubamk and Collins etc etc. I saw him v Lacey. One thing nags me though, and it nagged me then, he fought fighters out of prime, RJJ, Hopkins..

I always felt he could have done more...small details I know but when you're talking about degrees of greatness.
He wasn't really in his prime either though, if i remember right (it's been a while obviously) i'm sure i read somewhere that he wanted fighters to come to him, if you want me come and get me kind of thing, but eventually realised there would be a few question marks if he didn't fight Roy Jones, then Hopkins got it because of his racist comments, not a bad way to end a career.
Jones and Hopkins were past their best but names like Kessler, Lacey etc certainly weren't.
Again I'm sure i read all this in an article or saw it in an interview but if I'm wrong and pulled it out of my arse i won't argue.

Crazy that considering Haglers mentality about testing himself that years and years later McCallum still seething he felt he was avoided by Hagler.
hate to say it but I got Hags beating my boy especially if it's 15

Tyrone Woodley : "Go Big"

Seriously though:

Roberto Duran: "I'm not God - but I am something similar."
has there ever been a boxer as arrogant as Duran? I really don't think so.

Oh, no not at all. He didn't take any liberties with me & was very cool & respectful.
ray was a mean SOB, there's a docu where he spars some british guy, the guy tries to really hurt him and Ray turns it up that fast. I heard a story from one of my college profs who had an autographed pic, where he said, he watched ray prep for hagler, he saw ray get hit really good one time and then he proceeded to either kayo or put down his partner.

ray was a mean SOB, there's a docu where he spars some british guy, the guy tries to really hurt him and Ray turns it up that fast. I heard a story from one of my college profs who had an autographed pic, where he said, he watched ray prep for hagler, he saw ray get hit really good one time and then he proceeded to either kayo or put down his partner.

Oh, no doubt about it. I witnessed that side of him myself in camp. If a fighter got the better of him during an exchange, Ray would take charge & clean house. But I wasn't competitive enough with him in our sparring sessions to bring out that side of him.

I wondered if he was getting at that but that is how a casual would view just the headline without watching and understanding the fight. The fact is Duran couldn't go to war because Leonard wouldn't engage on Duran's terms, Leonard ran. When Leonard played Duran's game and went to war Duran, the smaller man won.
Exactly. Duran is a warrior but SRL got into his head and definitely frustrated him.

Yeah. This would have to be my pick. When I first started watching boxing (as a child, lol), Sugar Ray was just beating everyone, and he was so quick. He had powerful energy, and he believed in himself. I don't even remember that much else about that point in my childhood, because I was so young, but I remember being put in front of the t.v. on weekends as babysitting, basically. I would watch Wide World of Sports and the replays of the boxing events. That started my love for combat sports, which still persists to this day.

I'd say most hardcore boxing fans hated Ray while acknowledging his greatness. I'm surprised to see he had real fans. I didn't and don't like him. No denying that he may be the greatest fighter of the last 40 years inspite of his career interruptions. Some just thought he was a media creation and the truth is, he did benefit from the vacuum left by Ali and the great heavyweight era ending so suddenly. Still, he was everything you want in a fighter. It's too bad that he didn't fight throughout the 80's like most great fighters would have. It would have been fascinating watching him either lose, rematch and win or brutally beat the likes of Curry, Honeyghan, McCrory, Breland and Starling. All good fighters who knew their crafts. I still have to wonder about his chin and his defense, he wasn't that good defensively especially given his rep as a boxer.

Hero might not be the best or your favourite, so I'm going with Éric Lucas.

The guy had a very little talent and natural athleticism, but still managed to have a great career. The epitome of heart.

Ali.

Outside the ring he fought for civil rights and even sacrificed boxing itself to stick by his principles. He used his fame to spread messages of anti war and for peace.

In the ring he was an absolute warrior who fought in two of the best HW eras and won the belt back outside of his prime after being wrongly stripped off and suspended for years.

Paradoxically that's part of his charm - wonderful.
yes it is, what's the other quote to some request? "Because I am Duran" Jim Jones and Hitler put together couldn't say it better.

Back