from the heart - you're greatest hero boxer and why - 1 line

I know of what you speak regarding Dave. Back in the mid-'80s, I was a sparring partner for him, Alex & Matt. And, other than a few loud, drunken nights with them after their fights, I never saw anything that would indicate what would occur with them in the years ahead. It all went so tragic & sordid for them. Such a shame.

Damn that's cool. How would you rate each of them

Damn that's cool. How would you rate each of them
Oh, Dave was the best pure boxer of the three but Matt was the biggest puncher without a doubt & the one with the best overall talent. The last time I sparred with Matt he bruised & separated my ribs with a left hook that I thought broke me in half. I still have a knot of scar tissue from it that hurts when it's damp & cold outside. Matt should have won titles in two more weight classes but... Life & alcohol got in the way.

Oh, Dave was the best pure boxer of the three but Matt was the biggest puncher without a doubt & the one with the best overall talent. The last time I sparred with Matt he bruised & separated my ribs with a left hook that I thought broke me in half. I still have a knot of scar tissue from it that hurts when it's damp & cold outside. Matt should have won titles in two more weight classes but... Life & alcohol got in the way.

In Quebec, they usually say that Dave was the best talent, but I'm not sure it was indeee the case, as Matthew was a real little beast. Him vs Benn would have been a drean fight

In Quebec, they usually say that Dave was the best talent, but I'm not sure it was indeee the case, as Matthew was a real little beast. Him vs Benn would have been a drean fight
Oh, hell yeah. It would have been a barnburner for sure. And it was just one fight away from happening but Matt lost to Doug Dewitt for the WBO title & Dewitt's next fight was when he lost the belt to Benn.

What a shame. There's no way that Matt should have lost to Dewitt but by then he wasn't training properly & he had all those distractions with his family & legal issues. Plus Dave Sr. did a horrible job in the corner that night. Dewitt was a good fighter but he was already half shot by that point & wouldn't have even been competitive with Matt when Matt was at his best.

Probably Lennox for no reason other than him being the top dog around the time I was fanboying over boxing more than any other era in my life.

but if I have to give another reason.

because I believe at his best, motivated and in his best shape, he was as close to unbeatable as we have ever seen, Ali, Foreman, etc. All would have had trouble with a prime lennox.

now sometimes we didn’t get that version and… that’s another story.

Lewis is a close 2nd for me. And I took so much money off my mates at the time, who couldn’t stand him, and stupidly always bet against him

So tough this one, from a historical perspective Jock McAvoy, but in modern times Nigel Benn. Honourable shout outs to Carl Thompson, Michael Gomez (mad as a box of frogs in and out of the ring) and Katsidis.

love the Irish Mexican!

Smokin' Joe, Thrilla in Manila is my favourite...
Big Nigel Benn and Lennox fan too.

545014_3037354343610_73678116_n.jpg
nice to see a guy like Leonard has heros in the sport too

Benn was so much more willing to prove himself than Eubanks. Eubanks pretty much wasted his career fighting third class opposition, and robbing a few of them. terribly overated imo
Eubanks fights with Carl Thompson were pretty ballsy though. Fighting a good puncher 2 divisions above his last weight division he was champion in and putting up a hella of a performance was awesome.

Benn was so much more willing to prove himself than Eubanks. Eubanks pretty much wasted his career fighting third class opposition, and robbing a few of them. terribly overated imo
Was Eubank overrated when he stopped Benn? Or was he overrated when he ruined Michael Watson who also stopped Benn?

0_Nigel-Benn-v-Chris-Eubank-WBO-Middleweight-Title-Fight.jpg

Last edited:
Was Eubank overrated when he stopped Benn? Or was he overrated when he ruined Michael Watson who also stopped Benn?

0_Nigel-Benn-v-Chris-Eubank-WBO-Middleweight-Title-Fight.jpg

Overrated doesn't means he sucked. Benn was a great victory, but Nigel at that time wasnt that hard to beat. Fought way too aggressively and stupidly (was a bit of a kamikaze, bit that's why he also was amazing). And he got a gift against Watson the first time around, and was getting beaten all over the ring before he caught Watson coming in for the kill (seconds after getting up). That fight was pretty much the definition of fluke. I might be a bit too hard toward him, but his bum tour really made me soured on him. And he had way too many ckose calls/gifts against these second class fighters

Again, I'm not saying Eubank sucked, and in fact i liked the guy, but some put him among the best sw ever and i think that's crazy. Hell, ive seen slme people claims he would destroy froch, and i think thats total nonsense

Last edited:
Oh, yeah. Just a clubfighter/journeyman-type but I also got a lot of steady work as a sparring partner for a lot of champions & top contenders from the '80s - '90s.

Great. Sparred a few times with some low level pros, and couldnt believe how good and tough these mf were. Pretty much ended my dream of turning pro lol. Do you mind if i ask what your real name is

Back