From someone who has broken their ankle: Varner is not human

When I was 15 /16 I broke my ankle skateboarding in a similar way by rolling the ankle. When I felt the ankle roll I fell but it didn't feel much worse than a light sprain. When I tried to stand up however, I felt sharp blinding white pain and my shit immediately swelled up. Just putting any weight on it was out of the question.

That dude just fought with that shit what the fuck.

I can't believe Varner fought out that round and even more so I can't believe how calm he was post-fight even hopping over for the official decision.

I don't understand it honestly. I have had surgery on my right humerus from being taken down ending with it badly breaking requiring a steel rod put in and took that with no problems at all in a similar way to Varner.

The ankle though....I bitched out hard when I stood up and felt that pain how the hell does Varner not even seem much more than inconvenienced?

i broke my ankle skateboarding also. After it broke, i had to walk two blocks on it to get home. sometimes you just do what has to be done.

i broke my ankle skateboarding also. After it broke, i had to walk two blocks on it to get home. sometimes you just do what has to be done.

damn dude that's crazy. Making me feel like a bitch but fuck it I cut my sock off and sat down till someone picked me up to take me to the hospital

damn dude that's crazy. Making me feel like a bitch but fuck it I cut my sock off and sat down till someone picked me up to take me to the hospital

oh, if i had had the option to not walk home on it, i would have taken that option.
(other than hopping, because i don't hop)

Like i said, sometimes you just do what has to be done.

I don't think I even seen him wince at all from the point it happened until the fight was over. He just started limping

I know adrenaline has a big part in things, but I think to always point to adrenaline is taking away something from the person. Anyone can go on youtube and see nasty injuries where adrenaline didn't stop the person from writhing in pain as soon as the injury occurred.

For example, look at Anderson Silva. I think a lot of it has to do with one's mindset as soon as the injury happens. If one can look down, breath, and accept what has just happened and keep a calm mind, I believe it helps tremendously.

Of course, there's many factors, and I'm not an expert.

adreneline, nothing more

lol, fuck off. There are many fighters who would have declined to fight when they broke their ankle. Give the guy credit, I mean, he tried to finish his opponent with a broken ankle! That is hardcore.

Props to Varner, and hopefully Dana and the Fretittas take care of him. That was crazy.

Broken ankles aren't that bad, my left one broke racing mx and I was able to finish the race(the boots do provide a lot of support though) Ended up driving home before going to the hospital, had work the clutch with my right foot, as well as the brakes. The pain kicked in pretty good at that point, and I have no idea how the hell I drove a stick with one foot. Thank god it was Ohio farm country with no traffic.
For reference, I dislocated my right elbow, and that was pain. Adrenaline didn't mask shlt, from about 5 seconds from it happening I wanted a bullet in my head to make the pain stop.

It was hard to watch, his corner should've thrown in the towel.
That ankle was rolling over badly, he probably has done some additional damage.
People call it heart but I think it was stupid, chances of winning after break were very, very slim.

Funny how a person can rehabilitate their image. It wasn't that long ago that people were claiming that Varner milked a foul to get out of the Cerrone fight.

It was hard to watch, his corner should've thrown in the towel.
That ankle was rolling over badly, he probably has done some additional damage.
People call it heart but I think it was stupid, chances of winning after break were very, very slim.

No disrespect intended, but that is the difference in mentality between fighters and everyone else.

No disrespect intended, but that is the difference in mentality between fighters and everyone else.

None taken.
I don't blame the fighter, hell I would've carried on fighting.
It's his corner who should put fighter's wellbeing as priority before potential victory at the expense of health.

None taken.
I don't blame the fighter, hell I would've carried on fighting.
It's his corner who should put fighter's wellbeing as priority before potential victory at the expense of health.

Yeah, I definitely see that. Chuck Liddell's coach John Hacklemen would've had the fight stopped, for example.

Fucking twilight zone here. The only time I've broken a bone was at 15-16, and, just as you had to, walk on it for a bit. Though the adrenalin was pumping as we were fleeing from hucking snowballs at cop car. Did that ever suck after when the swelling set in, had the cast on for a good 6 months.

Back