From Kettlebells to Barbells (Cleans, Jerks, Squats)

Discussion in 'Strength & Conditioning Discussion' started by Vanish, Aug 4, 2010.

1. Vanish

Vanish White Belt

I'm currently slinging double 32 kg's for swings, military presses, front squats, renegade rows etc.

I'm looking to hit the barbell game with compound lifts but I'm really struggling figuring out the proper positioning of the wrists on cleans, squats, and jerks.

Are my wrists supposed to be bent back on barbell cleans? It's really uncomfortable on the wrist and goes against everything Pavel advocates with keeping straight wrists when using kettlebells.

On Squats, the wrists are also bent back, and it feels very unnatural.

Thanks very much in advance!

2. Yakobi

Yakobi Green Belt

Your wrists will stretch-out after awhile. It was uncomfortable for mine as well when i started getting into squat cleans, but after awhile my wrists loosened up and became flexible enough to bend backwards quite a bit more than i expected.

Also, check some youtube vids and watch some of those lifts and their wrist positions.

3. hymn

hymn Green Belt

In a barbell clean, you want your elbows pointing forward and the bar racked on your shoulders, instead of your arms and wrists, as you catch it. Then your shoulders bear the weight and the angle of the wrist isn't as harsh. Like this: