From each of these groups whose skillset would you rather have?

It's an interesting point, and Cain along with JDS are total experts at just out and out beating guys up. How many subs does Cain have though? None. Look what Overeem did to JDS, he made it look easy. JDS had nowhere to go. Overeem and Rockhold actually lose by arrogance. They have so many ways to win. Plus, look at the overall number of fights Overeem's been in, that experience helps, even though he isn't what he once was.

Cain probably could have mercy tapped loads of guys early in his career. Seriously, there was more than one fight where Cain was just beating the holy fuck out of a guy, dude was practically begging to be RNC'd and Cain refused to oblige

I dunno about Rockhold's striking defense and offensive wrestling being so good he should never lose a fight on paper...

Edit - what the heck with the KOed guy emoticon?
Can you picture another middleweight doing to Weidman what Rockhold did? His defense is suspect, stupidly shows no fear (again, just like Reem). But the question is, whose skill set would you like to have when that cage door closes? They aren't my favorite fighters, but I have high regard for their skills.

Cain probably could have mercy tapped loads of guys early in his career. Seriously, there was more than one fight where Cain was just beating the holy fuck out of a guy, dude was practically begging to be RNC'd and Cain refused to oblige
Big foot agrees. I love watching Cain fight, after Fedor, the most fun guy to watch at HW. But Fedor has more skill, and went for subs (still damaged his hands a lot). Cain is punch, clinch, cage-pin, takedown, hammer fist, win. Not scientific, but brutishly effective. Maybe part of reason Cain can't stay healthy.

Big foot agrees. I love watching Cain fight, after Fedor, the most fun guy to watch at HW. But Fedor has more skill, and went for subs (still damaged his hands a lot). Cain is punch, clinch, cage-pin, takedown, hammer fist, win. Not scientific, but brutishly effective. Maybe part of reason Cain can't stay healthy.

Me watching Cain fight most dudes not named Werdum is like

giphy.gif

I think Fedor is the most skilled HW ever.
I think Cain could potentially beat any HW ever because of what you mention there
My dream MMA fight in an alternate universe is prime Cain vs prime Fedor

Overeem or Cain or prime Fedor?
Fedor

DC or Rumble or prime Shogun?
Rumble

Rockhold or Romero or prime Anderson?
Rockhold

Wonderboy or Woodley or prime GSP?
GSP any time of his life

Alvarez or Pettis or prime BJ?
RDA

Conor or Aldo or Frankie?