From a technical standpoint. Why couldnt Iuri get the sub

hunt12

Orange Belt
@Orange
Reaction score
watched again and comeeee on. How did he not tap. Can any Bjj practitioners give insight

Heart.

He said after the fight that his arm popped out, and he popped it back in, to keep going.
I want to know what else Iuri could have done to get the sub. tough prick if he did get his arm popped

The guys arm was broken and he was looking relaxed as if he was about to calculate his tax returns for the year. Meanwhile his arm was bending in the opposite direction. I don't understand what the hell happened myself

watched again and comeeee on. How did he not tap. Can any Bjj practitioners give insight

He did everything right.

Ask Sandhagan how his arm is feeling rn tho. It’s definitely hyperextended. Sandhagan showed some incredible relaxation in that chaos, not many can dig that deep.

Maybe he could've transitioned to a Triangle?

I want to know what else Iuri could have done to get the sub. tough prick if he did get his arm popped

Get the triangle properly.

Cross the arm over, and pull the head down.

Not a prominent enough fulcrum to snap his arm. When your in that weird one leg over the head armbar situation I think it's easier to hyperextend the arm if you go belly down. Otherwise you can't lift your hips enough to bend it enough for the tap.

But then again talking about it is alot easier than pulling it off mid scramble.

What I don't understand is why people in that position don't just hammerfist the defenceless guys face into hamburger meat.

Iuri had a triangle on. Mounted triangle was sitting there. Should have went for it instead of extending limbs.

Honestly, Alcantara should have just held the arm with one hand and kept hammering Sandhagen with the other. Dude was in a super vulnerable position and got cut bad almost immediately. He escaped only once Iuri tried adjusting the sub.

cory-sandhagen-iuri-alcantara-ufc-fight-night-135-1.jpg

But yeah, sometimes you focus so much on a close sub that you can't see better options

from a technical stand point i believe irui owed that ref money...

good lawd lol...

overhooking the arm like he did can give you more torque on the armbar, but the downside is that they can sometimes rotate their wrist just the right amount to change the angle at which the pressure is being put on the elbow. if you watch closely, sandhagen managed to rotate his wrist just enough.

had he grabbed his wrist, he would've had better control of the wrist and hand, but a lesser angle to break the arm with. maybe it would've worked, maybe not.

from a strategic point, he probably should've stuck with the triangle, but i can see why he'd assume he'd get the armbar. it was really fucking deep.

that, and sandhagen has some pretty good flexibility... and i heard he hyperextended his elbow anyway.

Honestly, Alcantara should have just held the arm with one hand and kept hammering Sandhagen with the other. Dude was in a super vulnerable position and got cut bad almost immediately. He escaped only once Iuri tried adjusting the sub.

But yeah, sometimes you focus so much on a close sub that you can't see better options
He threw 2-3 hammer fists and then he start focusing on the submission.. Totally agree

overhooking the arm like he did can give you more torque on the armbar, but the downside is that they can sometimes rotate their wrist just the right amount to change the angle at which the pressure is being put on the elbow. if you watch closely, sandhagen managed to rotate his wrist just enough.

had he grabbed his wrist, he would've had better control of the wrist and hand, but a lesser angle to break the arm with. maybe it would've worked, maybe not.

from a strategic point, he probably should've stuck with the triangle, but i can see why he'd assume he'd get the armbar. it was really fucking deep.

that, and sandhagen has some pretty good flexibility... and i heard he hyperextended his elbow anyway.
That’s about it. So maybe he could’ve done something to get it, maybe not. You can pick option A or option B, each one could be correct and done right but you don’t know before you go for it.

It was very, very close. Sandhagen toughed it out long enough to escape and injured himself (I bet) in the process.

This is Aoki doing pretty much the same move...just going hard for the armbar...

If you watch carefully his arm only hyperextended for about 2-3 seconds before alcantara has to adjust his grip. After that it was tight sure, but he got his arm turned a little and his elbow was bending in the proper direction.

If he wanted to finish with the arm he needed to do that modified Ronda rousey grip that’s more like a foot lock and be physically stronger than he is.

He was in much better position to finish the triangle imo. Needed to get the arm across the face and pull down on the back of his head with both hands and squeeze like you know he is gonna black out. If his dumb ass won’t tap then, it’s night night time.

yep when he did that I thought that was gonna be the stoppage but for some reason he stopped hitting him <Fedor23>

Back