Friends Arena wants Jones/Gus rematch; new UFC crowd record

If UFC and MMA are to grow they need to start putting big fights in Europe, this is the best opportunity they will have in a long time.

I agree with this. If they stacked the card I think they would sell it out, and that would be huge. I would do everything I could to fly to Sweden for this fight.

As everyone's pointing out, the catch is the PPV. If they were to sell that sucker out they would have to do it with a line-up that wouldn't be financially feasible to put on free TV; I don't think they would even have Jones fight on free TV. And to maximize their gate revenue I think they would have to have it at a decent time in Sweden (which would hamper PPV sales back in North America enough that the fight still might not be feasible to have in a Swedish stadium).

the us just isnt into mma as much as other countries..you know why? oversaturation!!!!

That would be epic. With 14-16k ufc fight night tickets being sold out in like an hour last year I can't see why a rematch like this and a fairly good card won't sell out in Friends Arena.

Its a neat idea, but I don't find it likely. Gus alone can draw the Swedish crowd. The rematch will be huge for MMA the world over, which makes the US the most likely venue.

Don't Euro UFC events get killed on the USA PPV sales because of the time zone? What will occur there at local prime time, will be at like 3pm Eastern time? So either if you broadcast it live in the afternoon, or broadcast it delayed at night, either way you're losing a huge portion of the PPV because people will either be busy, or they will already know the results.

I don't see a card this big going to Europe unless the numbers make sense, it will likely continue to be free cards only that go there until then.

Don't Euro UFC events get killed on the USA PPV sales because of the time zone? What will occur there at local prime time, will be at like 3pm Eastern time? So either if you broadcast it live in the afternoon, or broadcast it delayed at night, either way you're losing a huge portion of the PPV because people will either be busy, or they will already know the results.

I don't see a card this big going to Europe unless the numbers make sense, it will likely continue to be free cards only that go there until then.
But if they are truly going to expand into the european market they need to take a small hit and invest in that market.

Don't Euro UFC events get killed on the USA PPV sales because of the time zone?
I think it's rather because nobody wants to buy a tape delayed event where they already know the results.

Jones-Gus 2 would sell huge in Sweden I am sure.

Maybe they could do a PPV that starts at 6pm EST (12 in Sweden), so the main event would start at 8pm EST (same time as UFC on Fox 1) and it would be 2am in Sweden.

Tough compromise though could limit gate and PPV sales. Only way its possible is if they would still sell the stadium for a high gate, and promote the shit out of the event to make sure ppl remember the early PPV time.

I think that's too late. Why not have it at 10 pm in Sweden, so 4pm EST here, and the main title fight would be around midnight in Sweden and 6 pm here?

Time Zone = No Chance In Hell

Good idea in theory, 0% chance of it happening in money-based reality. Zero.

It's a cool idea but highly unlikely. The UFC will want to sell the rematch for optimal PPV audience. Outside of Penn/Stevenson, I can't think of too many high profile championship fights that the UFC was willing to put on during the afternoon.

Global expansion is great but the UFC's bread is still buttered by PPV buys. The UFC will continue to ship marginal cards overseas until they can create a bigger revenue stream out of them.

There's no way they'd even get half enough people to fill that arena. Especially in Sweden with Gustafsson headlining.

Put conor mcgregor and Michael bisping on the card as well.

Gustafsson vs Jones
Bisping vs Magnus Cedenblad (assuming he wins over Sakara)
Kampmann vs Gunnar Nelson
Pickett vs Wineland
McGregor vs Akira Corassani
Tom Niinim

Back