Friendly Rolling Session.

Podgorny

Green Belt
Reaction score
YouTube - Friendly Grappling [ David v Steve ]

A friendly rolling session between myself and one of my senior training partners, I believe he was taking it easy on me. I'm in the black without my Gi top (yes, I know the stigma that comes with the Gi vs NoGi but it was hot and I wasn't feeling well). This took place on my birthday, and I was testing out my new camera.

I'd love any advice you guys could give me, I rolled like shit that night I think. But oh well, it's all for the love of the game.

NOTE: This is my Judo school, we focus on groundwork quite a bit.

looks like he was trying to rape you

work on guard retention/side control escapes..I stopped after that unfortunately.

You need a lot of work on your escapes from bottom. He held you down way too easy, and I could see several times his center of gravity was elevated and you could have got guard back or rolled.

Your guard was passed way to easy. You need a lot of general work on guard retention - need to abandon lost submission and get guard back before he passes. Your arm posture could use work. Check out the BJJmemoir guy's grip mastery pdf. would help.

btw only watched first half of video.

How long have you been training?
Just looks like you need to drill some of the basics regarding guard retention, sweeps, and escapes. It looks to me like the guy is just out muscling you. Build up your defense and it should neutralize him pretty well.
Your arms are all over the place when he has side control on you, keep your elbows in.
And stop midget wrestling, if the guy really wants to be on top that bad, pull guard and let him. Working takedowns from the knees is useless.
But this is just some stuff I saw. Props for posting the vid. Keep working.

I'd definitely recommend training side control escapes and maintaining guard.

Thanks for the advice guys, I've been training on and off for a few years, but I'm just now taking it seriously. I'm looking to tighten up the MASSIVE holes in my game, and you've blown my guard retention and side control escapes wide open, haha. I really appreciate it fella's.

Back