freezing protein shake, is it ok?

Leafs42084

Blue Belt
@Blue
Reaction score
Hi everyone,

basically, my shake consists of blended oats, frozen blueberries/blackberries/raspberries, whey protein and milk/water.

I want to drink them as im driving home from the gym post workout. But that would make it go very warm because thats about a 2 to 2.5 hour wait. So what I do is stick it in the freezer after I make it for about 45-60 mins. This doesnt freeze it entirely, but maybe freezes the outside, happens quickly cause its already kinda slushy cause of the berries

then it'll sit in my bag for a total of about 2 hours before I drink it

question is.... is it ok to:

1) freeze the protein, not solid but to some extent
2) not consume it immediately but wait about 150mins or so

if I cant do what im doin now, what do you guys normally do? do you wait till you get home even if it takes a bit of time?

thanks!

I have no problem drinking them warm but I see no problem with freezing them slightly either. Have you tried just throwing a few ice cubes in your shaker? That's what I would probably do.

I'd basically be the same as freezing a steak

No problems as far as I can tell

i wait till im home, but it takes me 10min to get home from the gym. you could always just buy a shaker cup, keep the protein in there and add water at the gym? might not be as good without the berries, but you do what you gotta do sometimes

Yeh I was wondering the same thing sorta. I've been making protein shakes some time in advance and leaving them in the fridge (I can't use the blender at night it wakes up everyone lol) but a part of me felt that something weird might happen with the protein (I don't know, there's so much more to food than I thought!). Good to know it's fine haha.

The berries would be the big concern, but freezing them should be fine (there's no effect on the protein).

BTW-Don't try to trick us into thinking that you have a freezer. You really just leave the drink out in your igloo, right? :icon_chee

GO LEAFS!

The berries would be the big concern, but freezing them should be fine (there's no effect on the protein).

BTW-Don't try to trick us into thinking that you have a freezer. You really just leave the drink out in your igloo, right? :icon_chee

GO LEAFS!

hahaha yea, biggest concern are the polar bears out to get my protein shakes

what did you mean by the way "big concern would be the berries".. do you mean as in they would go bad?

I thought maybe freezing would degrade the protein or something.. but sounds like it should be ok

what did you mean by the way "big concern would be the berries".. do you mean as in they would go bad?

Have you ever frozen fruit before? I assume nothing untoward would happen. I think the point being made is that there is so little problem with freezing the protien in the shake, that if anything was to mess up, it'd b the berries. Try it and see - everything will be fine.

Have you ever frozen fruit before? I assume nothing untoward would happen. I think the point being made is that there is so little problem with freezing the protien in the shake, that if anything was to mess up, it'd b the berries. Try it and see - everything will be fine.

I think people are insinuating that when you blend the fruit it begins to degrade, whereas the protein will not (as much), hence the concern.

Frozen fruit is fine (but I have never refrozen I must admit).

Buy an insulated lunch bag and keep a freeze pack in your freezer.

Problem solved.

Buy an insulated lunch bag and keep a freeze pack in your freezer.

Problem solved.

this is hte most practical solution I guess... just dont want to have to buy anymore stuff. Budget took a bit hit when I bought a hayabusa rashy along with fairtex mma gloves...

but today, I went through teh same process, but added slightly less milk/water which made the shake very slushy... put it in the fridge for a bit longer, 90mins? when I took it out, the outer edge of the bottle was kinda hard while inside was just really slushy

sat in my bag for about an hour and a half, and when I drank it after class, it was awesome. it was like drinking ice cream or something hahaha

also with the insulated lunch bag, its gonna be too big in my gym bag which is already full. And I cant leave it in the car during summer

High antioxidant fruits like the, berries we use, get oxidized very quickly when blended. Freezing will slow this down.

[actually a berry /protein shake sounds pretty damn good about now]

Back