freestyle wrestling or judo?

I hate to say this but the fact is that you have a better chance at finding a "good to decent" Freestyle wrestling coach than you do finding a "good to decent" judo coach. Now, before you go running to sign up for lessons. Let me know where you live and I can see if there is someone in that area that I could recommend, because there are some great judo coaches out there who will respect the fact that you do BJJ and instruct you accordingly.

So hit me up at [email protected] remind me of the post and let me know where you live and I can help you out. You can give me your phone number and I'll call you back.

Take care.

Just some advice... its hard to learn wrestling at your age... If you were in High School I would def recommend wrestling and but at your age Judo would be better.

Rhadi Ferguson said:
I hate to say this but the fact is that you have a better chance at finding a "good to decent" Freestyle wrestling coach than you do finding a "good to decent" judo coach. Now, before you go running to sign up for lessons. Let me know where you live and I can see if there is someone in that area that I could recommend, because there are some great judo coaches out there who will respect the fact that you do BJJ and instruct you accordingly.

So hit me up at [email protected] remind me of the post and let me know where you live and I can help you out. You can give me your phone number and I'll call you back.

Take care.

im in the uk bud. im just outside london. ive just found out the a big national judo centre is being built near me for the 2012 olympics. its gonna be finished in december.
this is it
http://www.britishjudo.org.uk/home/dartford.php

im gonna go to the freestyle wrestling on tuesday and see how i find it.

BJJWrestler said:
Just some advice... its hard to learn wrestling at your age... If you were in High School I would def recommend wrestling and but at your age Judo would be better.

why do you say this?

wrestling is good for any age

The Budokwai in London is one of the oldest clubs in Europe. Can't go wrong.

There are some decent wrestling places around. London Shootfighters have wrestling classes. Rob Sulski is a solid wrestler and runs classes near Canary Wharf. There are also classes at Tokei Gym and Crystal Palace Leisure Centre (why did they have to move from Bromley? WHY???). However in general you are going to find more skilled judoka than skilled wrestlers over here. It's kind of sad folkstyle and catch wrestling really started over here in Britain and Greco-Roman wrestling started in France but the USA has it as part of their athletics program while we have crap like rounders.

Rhadi, if you are ever going to be in the UK it'd be a pleasure to train with you. Could maybe set up a seminar or something also. You had some awesome throws at ADCC, couldn't hurt to learn them.

i had my first night tonight of freestyle wrestling
it was so different to what im used to
it was only the instructor and his son at the class tonight
we went through a few single and double leg takedowns and positioning work and then we had some sparring
what was funny for me is im usually getting moaned at for using to much strength at bjj and csw and now im getting moaned at for not using enough strength at freestyle.
also pulling guard!!!
through habit everytime i saw a guillotine open i was going for it and falling onto my back and putting my hips through which is totally wrong
lol
oh well i guess it will just come with practice

grappler1979 said:
i had my first night tonight of freestyle wrestling
it was so different to what im used to
it was only the instructor and his son at the class tonight
we went through a few single and double leg takedowns and positioning work and then we had some sparring
what was funny for me is im usually getting moaned at for using to much strength at bjj and csw and now im getting moaned at for not using enough strength at freestyle.
also pulling guard!!!
through habit everytime i saw a guillotine open i was going for it and falling onto my back and putting my hips through which is totally wrong
lol
oh well i guess it will just come with practice

Just the instructor and his son? Doesn't sound very appealing.

A good class should have a bunch of people you can train with. The more variety the better.

That might be a sign that the club you're at isn't very good, if only the instructor and his son show up.

they reckoned the tuesday class was quiet because of the summer holidays
they claimed the friday class will be alot busier

im still confused with the whole back on the floor with
will it be detrimental trying to lear both?
did anyone else suffer trying to do both at once?
i just cant understand giving your back up in wrestling
however i love its throws

grappler1979 said:

having your back on the floor is blasphemy in wrestling

i gathered that after i did it the tenth time and he started getting the hump

grappler1979 said:

After you train a while, you can kind of teach yourself to be able to enter either "Wrestling" mode or "BJJ" mode. When I first started training BJJ, I tended to give up my back alot. Now, I've learned to shut out my wrestling instinct while doing BJJ. Likewise, when I go to my old school's wrestling practices, I can switch off my BJJ instincts and go back into my wrestling instincts. It just takes time to be able to do this.

Back