freestyle wrestling or judo?

grappler1979

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
i have two spare days a week to train when im not at bjj
would you advise joining my local judo or freestyle wrestling class on this day?
opinions please

Both have their respective advantages and benefits. Why don't you try out both and decide to stick to whichever one you enjoy more?

true bud
what i dont like about bjj is that we hardly ever do takedowns and im really looking to work on this.
im just turning my back on jkd after two years of training because i prefer bjj so much more.

the most relevant question is: what do you want to do with your training? do you want to do mma? submission wrestling? sport bjj?

for mma and submission wrestling i would do freestyle....not to say judo is not good for mma or sw (it certainly is), but you will spend your time learning throws with a gi, then need to modify them later for no gi...unless you are at a truly revolutionary judo club.

judo - i love the aesthetics of it. truly beautiful throws. youll start every sport bjj match up 2 points. the ground fighting is also more applicable to mma, bjj, submission wrestling (dare i say streetfighting....please dont digress to a sport grappling vs streetfighting thread or i will flip shit)

wrestling - imo, techniques are just as fascinating as judo (and anyone who says wrestling is just double and single legs and is based on strength is a retard). wrestlers are known for great conditioning, speed and athleticism. groundgrappling in wrestling is mostly about control/pinning. control is good for anything but the pinning combos might not be as useful. i trained with a bjj brownbelt who used to wrestle and he had some out of this world moves. used half nelsons a lot and other grips ive only seen in highschool wrestling.

yeah bro, it depends on your plans for your matrial arts future...if none, then do what is fun

i would say go for wrestling. i think the learning curve on it is less steep

Do you train more gi or no-gi right now? That should play in your decision.

Most of what I train right now is gi - not to say I don't train no-gi, but most of what I do is gi. I enjoy competing in gi competitions, because getting good with the gi helps both BJJ tournaments and Judo tournaments. In Modified Pankration, I wear my gi. I loves my gi.

My point is, I do Judo with my BJJ. If I had the same love of no-gi that I have for gi, I'd be doing wrestling instead.

i started doing combat submission wrestling with my jkd club and that was all no gi.
i joined my local gracie barra and fell in love with it
ive found myself going less and less to my jkd club and more to bjj (although its a pain in the arse because jkd is 5 minutes away while bjj is a 45 minute drive)
i really enjoy the gi aspect of it but freestyle wrestling interests me and i guess i will give it a go first and see how i find it.
also i was kinda getting annoyed with my jkd training. as great as my instructor was i think he crosstrained to much. we would do a 2 hour class and he would be teaching us moves from 5 or 6 styles and i was always walking away from class confused about what we learnt and struggled to pin anything down in muscle memory. what i love about bjj is we spend like a half hour going over one move and it helps me feel like i won that move. where as with jkd im trying to remember to much and it always falls to shit in sparring.
sorry if i went on abit.

Then do the wrestling. You appear to prefer no-gi.

If u wanna learn to defend yourself properly. Learn to strike in addition to grappling.

It is really up to you both definitly have there strong points. so go check them out.

you should try both and see which one your best built for
ex: if you're really tall judo maybe best as it would be hard for you to shoot which as far as helping bjj goes is the main benefit of wrestling

hamoom said:
i would say go for wrestling. i think the learning curve on it is less steep

Even though I am a Judo guy, I agree with this comment. Wrestling is easier to learn since it requires less mechanics.

On the other hand, Judo will help your transitions from throw to submission.

alexgncw said:
you should try both and see which one your best built for
ex: if you're really tall judo maybe best as it would be hard for you to shoot which as far as helping bjj goes is the main benefit of wrestling
im a short arse
5,8 and 200lbs

grappler1979 said:
im a short arse
5,8 and 200lbs

Seems pretty stocky to me. Stocky is good in Judo. Your centre of gravity is lower, making it harder to throw you.

At that size I don't know if you'd be fast enough for shoots.

i think you can do both so you're better of trying both and deciding which is working best for you you should have a good idea after a couple weeks

Back