1. Sherdog will be undergoing additional maintenance in a few hours, lasting until 6am EST. The site may experience some technical difficulties during this time. We apologize for the inconvenience.

Freestyle/greco 'Out-of-bounds rule' in grappling

Discussion in 'Grappling Technique' started by DFWGrappler, Jan 20, 2015.

1. DFWGrappler

DFWGrappler White Belt

I would like to see this rule in grappling. Had an opponent run from me this past weekend. and kept going to the out of bounds line and stepping out to avoid getting taken down!

1. Out-of-bounds;
    a. The 1st time a wrestler pushes his/her opponent out-of bounds without attempting a maneuver or if a wrestler inadvertently steps out-of-bounds; he/she is warned. Subsequent offenses result in a penalty point for fleeing-the hold. If in the legitimate attempt of a takedown, a wrestler steps out-of-bounds, it should be scored as completed, i.e.; 1 pt, 2 pts, 3 pts and /or a caution.

2. rmongler

rmongler Black Belt

i like scoring forceouts too personally, it simplifies officiating, creates more action, and helps emphasize dominance in the clinch.

3. QuicksandBJJ

QuicksandBJJ White Belt

There are already penalties for stalling..you have a responsibility as well to keep the action in the center..and the more your opponent is moving towards the boundaries, the more blatant you have to be about keeping the action in the center..

4. PointyShinyBurn

PointyShinyBurn Purple Belt

Very infrequently called on the feet. You have to back out blatantly five or six times at least.

5. November

November Yellow Belt

In folkstyle wrestling it is encouraged to go out of bounds to prevent your opponent from scoring. It is also encouraged to stall when you are up on points.

6. lechien

lechien Gold Belt

5.7 Examples of Advantage Points*
    Advantage from takedown
    • When an athlete, in attempting a single-leg takedown, traps one of the opponent’s legs and causes the opponent to exit the
    match area to avoid being taken down and oblige the referee to interrupt the match.

Serious Foul

6.4.2 When a standing athlete flees the bounds of the match area, avoiding combat with the opponent

6.4.3 When a standing athlete pushes his/her opponent to outside the match area without clear intent of attempting
    a submission or scoring.

6.4.13 When an athlete deliberately exits the match area to prevent the opponent from completing a sweep or a takedown.*
    * In this case and only this case, the referee should signal two points be awarded to the opponent and one penalty point be
    added to the score of the athlete who exited the match area.

7. Givvee

Givvee Purple Belt

I fucking hate that shit as well, I also think you should call for stalling, it is very frustrating to grapple with BJJ guy's standing sometimes on the feet, even in training, a lot of guy's are afraid of engaging in order not to get thrown around, and at the same time they are always whining when you refuse to play their butt scooting game. As wrestler, I'm never going to become a wizard from my back, that's just not my game.

8. Kenny from MD

Kenny from MD Less angry than before.

How does wrestling experience make you any different from anyone else? You don't have a guard because you don't practice it, not because it "isn't your game"

9. DFWGrappler

DFWGrappler White Belt

^^What he said^^