freestyle customs kimonos?

Discussion in 'Gear & Equipment Discussion' started by ohmalley, Jul 14, 2010.

1. ohmalley

ohmalley Blue Belt

anyone have experience with these? mind sharing thoughts on cut/fit, esp in comparison to a keiko, lucky, atama or shoyoroll?

i think the grey gis are sexy as hell. sadly, nearly everything is out of stock right now. have an email in to them -- hopefully they'll get back to me.

cheers!

2. Sloth

Sloth Brown Belt

Damn, I wanted to check out the gray ones too. Pretty sweet.

3. snakepitz

snakepitz Orange Belt

GOOD FIND!

GOD DAMN that grey is nice!

4. GFG

GFG Green Belt

yeah i really like the grey too

5. LongVN

LongVN Blue Belt

i say ney on these, take off some patches and logos, drop the price to 100-110 then I might consider it.

6. Nickynoneck

Nickynoneck Purple Belt

minus the patches the gi's would look amazing the have enough little sutle embrioderies to make that gi look great i say get rid of the shoulder and chest patches and the gi's will look super classy .

7. ohmalley

ohmalley Blue Belt

yeah i'm mostly into them for the color. most of the patches can be easily removed (which i'll def do -- i'm not a huge fan of patches, especially when they just repeat the brand name over and over). i also don't care for the logo, esp the big one on the back, but my school patch is going there anyway. honestly, it's the color and stitching that sold me. it's the little details that always get me in the end.

8. Nickynoneck

Nickynoneck Purple Belt

minus the patches I think it would just look cleaner the grey is just cool .

9. ohmalley

ohmalley Blue Belt

update: i heard back from Tres at freestyle customs. they're getting some sizes back in stock next week, and should have the rest by the end of the month. he said he'll keep me posted on when stuff comes in. if/when i get one i'll be sure to do a review.

an interesting aside: i asked him what the main differences were between the mens and womens cuts (some of you may recall my fixation on a black gi with hot pink stitching, which freestyle has in their women's line). he had this to say: "The difference on the womens gis is that they are cut tighter in all areas. Sleeve opening, arm width, arm length, body width etc. You would need to get an F4 to bit your width, but it might be too big height wise and legths of the sleeves." sounds like it puts me in the exact same situation as the men's gis: the A1 fit great in the body but are usually a bit long in the sleeves and pants. a totally familiar and livable situation. looks like i might get my black and pink gi after all!

10. snakepitz

snakepitz Orange Belt

Yeah the lapel patch def has to go...in the pics it looks like it is not stitched under lapel which is awesome.

The shoulder patches may be a bit difficult though.

Without the patches I love it man

Would love to see a review. I will prob get for fall/winter as it looks to be a warmer gi and my academy is so hot anything other than hck lite or koral lite is unbearable

11. ohmalley

ohmalley Blue Belt

oh yeah, that reminds me. he also said they'll be developing single/pearl weave gis in the coming months. dunno how long tho. in any event their current offerings are all goldweave. and yeah, that's kinda intense for summer heat.

12. StoicDude

StoicDude Blue Belt

Tres is a nice guy. The gis are nice. They are fairly thick gold weaves.

I have a bunch of people that I train with that wear them. I don't need a new gi, so I won't be picking up any new ones any time soon, but can see if I can borrow somebody's to take pics or measurements.

13. Sir Tapsalot

Sir Tapsalot Orange Belt

Looking at the pics, the top looks similar to a Shoyoroll - the join on the front between the upper and lower sections of the top is shaped and positioned like on the SYR. Pants look different though, more like a Lucky Gi style stitching of the knee re-enforcement area.

The grey looks amazing - would be very tempted if they did a lightweight singleweave, I'd also like it without patches, but nothing a few mins with a stitch ripper can't fix.

James

Last edited: Jul 18, 2010
  14. Siva

Siva White Belt

Would a grey gi be tournament legal? My faded black gi kinda looks grey.

15. revad3

revad3 Blue Belt

looks good, wonder about the quality and comfort of wearing plus cutting. anyone's have any first hand reviews on them?

16. StoicDude

StoicDude Blue Belt

Depends on the tournament. The "accepted" colors are White, blue, black, navy blue.

17. snakepitz

snakepitz Orange Belt

Single or pearl weave in grey would be bad ass

Not a fan of gold weave

18. DizzyChizzy

DizzyChizzy White Belt

I ordered the grey and pink kimono for my wife in a F2. She says that the fit of the top is a little bigger out of the bag than her Atama in the same size. Nothing a washing and drying can't take care of. It's a well constructed Gi. It's feels durable but I won't be able to know for sure until she puts it through some good use. The only issue that we have with the gi is the Freestyle customs logo in the back. It's embroidered so it makes it difficult to remove. Remove the logo on the back and this would be a really nice gi. I was planning on ordering one of these in a white when they are in stock again but that logo on the back is becoming a deterrent.

19. StoicDude

StoicDude Blue Belt

I remembered that some of you guys were asking about these and since I was looking for a gi for somebody I cam across these guys again.
    They are running a 20% off sale right now.

www.freestylecustoms.net - BJJ MENS - ONLINE

20. acsubie**

acsubie** Orange Belt

Out of stock in my size for the gray :( emailed them and they said they had no intentions of restocking in A4