Freestyle/catch wrestling in the UK......

xfire

Orange Belt
@Orange
Reaction score
I was wondering since both catch wrestling and freestyle wrestling both originated in the UK, and are both considered to be very good base styles for MMA, why don't we see any British MMA fighters coming from these backgrounds? Almost all top level UK MMA guys are strikers.

In the last 50 years people in the UK turned their back on wrestling in favor of boxing(strangely enough, UK pro wrestling was huge in the 70's and 80's).

Clubs began shutting down due to lack of numbers and old knowledge was lost, now with the rise of MMA there is more interest in wrestling in the UK, but they're starting from a deficit. Due to being a niche sport in the UK there is a lack of good sparring partners to work with, no competitive wrestling competition scene, it's not in schools and coaches severely lack in knowledge compared to countries where wrestling is a strong part of the culture.

Now compare it to boxing. There is a boxing club in every town, probably two or three, a healthy amateur and pro scene, real emphasis on developing kids and great coaches.

That's why most UK based MMA fighters have great stand up yet lack wrestling.

The only submission grappling in the UK nowadays is in MMA clubs. It's a shame really.

A lot of grappling clubs these days will have straight wrestling classes. I used to train with United Wrestling which was one of the top wrestling clubs in the country. There are very few straight wrestling clubs around - as well as a lack of interest - which is why United has now shut down.

I was wondering since both catch wrestling and freestyle wrestling both originated in the UK, and are both considered to be very good base styles for MMA, why don't we see any British MMA fighters coming from these backgrounds? Almost all top level UK MMA guys are strikers.

theres been a few in the ufc

you just dont know

Back