Freestyle and Greco World Championships coming up!!

Sucks for Ruiz.

I think Byers can bring back the gold.

I really don't know about that one. I just cant see anyone beating lopez. But the good thing is byers is on the light side of the bracket and baroev and lopez are on the same side so one will take the other out. because the only way I see byers winning another title is if baroev takes out lopez.

I really don't know about that one. I just cant see anyone beating lopez. But the good thing is byers is on the light side of the bracket and baroev and lopez are on the same side so one will take the other out. because the only way I see byers winning another title is if baroev takes out lopez.

Yeah he got a good draw and he is def the underdog. But I'm hoping he can pull off the upset.

Yeah he got a good draw and he is def the underdog. But I'm hoping he can pull off the upset.

I am too, but lopez is the dominant greco guy of this era. he's this era's version of karelin. I'm not saying byers can't win but it's as long of a shot as you can get. Byers only shot with lopez is using the circle more for pushouts.

I am too, but lopez is the dominant greco guy of this era. he's this era's version of karelin. I'm not saying byers can't win but it's as long of a shot as you can get. Byers only shot with lopez is using the circle more for pushouts.

nice one. Like I said before, I hope he wins the world championship again and ties Gardner with 2 world level golds but how do you defeat the total package that is lopez?

Byers has won a world title before and only Joe Warren, Rulon Gardner, Dennis Hall, and Mike Houck have ever done that as well. He's already going down as a legend of american greco. I hope him all the best tomorrow and War USA!

It absolutely blows my mind how amazing some of these guys are. I don't like watching Olympic wrestling quite as much as collegiate wrestling though. Although I do sometimes get angry at college wrestlers when I see them make fundamentally wrong moves. I once yelled at the tv at Buffalo Wild Wings when I saw a wrestler, from I think Wisconsin, reach back while on bottom. I jumped up and yelled "Sit out and turn, don't just reach back you f*****g idiot." I received a few awkward stares...... Sorry, off topic.

I think your getting a little over the top with Lopez comparing him to the GOAT. AK manhandled and destroyed everyone.

Last year Byers won the first period and was winning the 2nd period 1-0 before the the pin.

The man is a stud and the guy to beat but lets not compare him to the greatest Greco guy to ever step on the mat. Byers has wrestled with and beaten the best in the world over the past 9 years.

I think your getting a little over the top with Lopez comparing him to the GOAT. AK manhandled and destroyed everyone.

Last year Byers won the first period and was winning the 2nd period 1-0 before the the pin.

The man is a stud and the guy to beat but lets not compare him to the greatest Greco guy to ever step on the mat. Byers has wrestled with and beaten the best in the world over the past 9 years.

I'm not trying to compare him in terms of mat dominance to karelin. but dominace in terms of winning golds he doing very well there and racking them up but does have a long way to go. And out of all the weights he is probably the hardest #1 guy to topple. you said it yourself, he found a way to get the fall over byers. anyone who knows wrestling knows that falls don't happen at the top level like you'd see in high school.

I'm just saying, he's the closest thing we're ever gonna see to karelin again. the fila rule changes from 5 years ago to the present have made dumb luck too big a part of wrestling. the rule changes coupled with the way matches are wrestled now means we're not gonna see someone go on a tear as long as karelin did.

Last edited:
I'm not trying to compare him in terms of mat dominance to karelin. but dominace in terms of winning golds he doing very well there and racking them up but does have a long way to go. And out of all the weights he is probably the hardest #1 guy to topple. you said it yourself, he found a way to get the fall over byers. anyone who knows wrestling knows that falls don't happen at the top level like you'd see in high school.

I'm just saying, he's the closest thing we're ever gonna see to karelin again. the fila rule changes from 5 years ago to the present have made dumb luck too big a part of wrestling. the rule changes coupled with the way matches are wrestled now means we're not gonna see someone go on a tear as long as karelin did.

I'm not going to lie I don't follow Greco like I do Folk or free.

You are right on the rules. As for pins while the competition is not the same as highschool or college he was still down 2-0 before getting the pin. I won't take anything away from Lopez but lets not act like he manhandled him in that match.

If people could beat Saitiev in Worlds and the Olympics then Byers can beat Lopez, and he has shown he deserves to be on the mat with the man

two golds out of 3 for iran marshallah. Ruiz was unlucky there.

The ''r'' in mashallah is from your carribean/jamican accent correct? Just curious.

Anyways war iran....wait...peace iran....go iran...yeah thats better

The ''r'' in mashallah is from your carribean/jamican accent correct? Just curious.

LMFAO!!!!

Tomorrow the US akes thier mark I'm hoping.

Byers gets us started strong.

as always respect to Iran, but I'm really hoping the US gets it going tomorrow as well.

really bummed Mango got bumped so quick. What was he seeded? He got a tough draw man.

I apologise for the typo ayatollah please forgive me, don't cut off my hands and stone my wife.

davis got beat in his first match. jake clark made the quarterfinals but lost to the polish wrestler. And dremiel byers made the semi finals before losing to the armenian/russian partikeev so he's going for bronze.

What an idiot

and thanks for the updates guys

No I don't think so, I only ever post here about good grappling, in this thread all I wanted to talk about was the wrestling giving updates on matches as a lot of americans would most likely be a sleep or just getting up and wanted updates on the action, as an Iranian in the Uk I support them, and was giving my respects for a stunning first day, but you came in on your high islamic horse taking the piss of a minor typo, when it really wasn't necessary at all, I can't stand muslims like that.
Rant over this thread is about the best wrestling in the world.

Byers lost in the bronze match to take 5th. I was also surprised to see svec lose the other bronze match. And mijain Lopez beat yuri patrikeev for the gold at 120kg title.

Back