Freestyle and Greco World Championships coming up!!

Discussion in 'Grappling Technique' started by skey91***, Sep 3, 2010.

1. skey91***

skey91*** Banned Banned

This link has all the previews and a lot fo good stuff.
    2010 World Championships of Wrestling - TheMat.com

U.S. seeks success at World Wrestling Championships in Moscow, Russia, Sept. 6-12 | TheMat.com - USA Wrestling

Last edited: Sep 3, 2010
  2. D4rthKitty

D4rthKitty Black Belt

USA USA USA USA

Sadly very few, if any of these guys will ever come to MMA though. If you have got that far, it is very rare for them to switch sports

Obviously some have, Warren, Linland, but not most

3. skey91***

skey91*** Banned Banned

I could see Herbert doing it if he wins Gold.

Metcalf wants to be the next Gable so I don't see him crossing over.

4. Team Sleep

Team Sleep Black Belt

Spenser Mango FTW!!!

Love to see that guy come to MMA...

YouTube - Spenser & Ryan Mango Highlight Video

5. D4rthKitty

D4rthKitty Black Belt

Has he said something like that? Or is it just in his personality?

I only watch wrestling when I can find it, which is rare, so I am not up to date as I would like

6. J Sho

J Sho Green Belt

I would love to see Tsargush in -77kg, Gatsalov in -99kg and Mijian Lopez and Makhov in +99kg at the next ADCC.

7. Gregolian

Gregolian .45 ACP Platinum Member

Great, I get to watch some of this (essentially):

And cringe every time someone gets thrown because I know how bad that could potentially hurt. If I watch this, I may get sore from watching it.

8. fourfif**

fourfif** Banned Banned

9. skey91***

skey91*** Banned Banned

I know Herbert has done some BJJ and his personality.

Makhov is a fucking animal. When he is determined he is unstoppable at HWT.

10. GBDaz

GBDaz Blue Belt

Not when taymazov shows up which is the case this year, why isn't dlagnev wrestling is he injured he's the us's best chance of a medal, I reckon a breakthrough will be yazdani going up to 96kg and goudarzi he is probably imo the most exciting agressive wrestler p4p in the world right now i love wathing his matches if he's on I think he will storm through 74kg, when he's on he can beat gatsalov. Russia will win most in freestyle pretty obvious to say with it being in moscow, Iran or Azerbeijan will be second then the rest will pick up the scraps, in greco russia and iran.
    My Picks:

120kg-If taymazov is in(he's on the entry list) he wins, otherwise probably makhov, masoumi has been giving makhov better fights recently but gasses and they would meet in the final and masoumi's cardio would come into it.
    96kg- I'm going with Yazdani(depending on cardio or injury) or Gatsalov.
    84kg-uzbek or keotev(If he wrestles at 84)
    74kg- goudarzi
    66kg- taghavi or sahin
    I don't follow the lower weights, probably be baitrov or an iranian then japanese at the lowest.

Last edited: Sep 4, 2010
  11. JZMinotauro

JZMinotauro Orange Belt

Wow was just about to make a thread on this then say yours lol.

Any way WAR RUSSIA!!

Picks

120kg: Makhov=physical specimen and won the 07 and 09 world championships. He should be the Olympian in '12, don't know how he didn't make the '08. I don't know the brackets yet but Irans wrestler (can't think of the name atm) will be silver or bronze. I like the U.S chances, especially with Sigman who beat Mocco and Dlagnev but I'm not expecting a gold from any one other than Mahkov.

Also any one know why Tamymazov didn't enter? (well not to my knowledge)

96kg: Again another weight class Russia has dominated for a while. Who ever the Russian is will win the gold. I think Gatsalov is the representative this year, but I'm not sure. I haven't heard of Shirvani (08 gold medalist) competing in the world championships. Azerbaijan or Iran should be second depending on the bracket.

Disappointed in Jake Varner for not making the team, but Bergman must be pretty good.

84kg: JAKE HERBERT!!! Seriously U.S freestyle really could use a gold medal. I hope he wins. That Uzbek guy is also pretty good it's either him or Herbert for gold imo. I haven't heard about the Georgian Olympian competing here, and he didn't compete in the 09 worlds, any news anyone?

74kg: I have to start with saying what a shame it is that Buvaisar Saitiev retires. Easily the GOAT in freestyle wrestling. He had 1 or 2 world championships left in him imo.

Any way Russia has not slacked off in 74 kg, Denis Tsargush should take gold like last year another great Russian. The wrestlers from Azerbaijan and Iran should take bronze or silver maybe even India.

I like Travis Paulson but I don't think he is good enough to medal. Hope he proves me wrong.

66kg: I don't know why Shahin (Turkey 08 olympian) entered he would win this year. Russia has a new wrestler on there roster this year so he must be better than the 09 guy who won silver. Iran or Russia gets gold here, and the Ukraines representative was a silver in the 08 olympics.

I really liked Metcalf in college, but he is going to get beat by any one good. Hope I'm wrong.

60 kg: Besik Khukodov will win the gold. I see it going alot like last years championships. Moving up in weight has helped Khukodov alot.

55kg: Don't really watch lol, Henry Cejudo isn't wrestling so I don't have too much interest. I like Obe Blanc so I will cheer him on. Some one from Russia should win here.

12. JZMinotauro

JZMinotauro Orange Belt

Is Taymzov wrestling in this years worlds? I don't know, i didn't think he was, he didn't wrestle at the 09 worlds.

Dlagnev got beat out Les Sigman at the trials. SIgman alos beat Mocco who was the 08 olympian and both are great wrestlers, I'm expecting a bronze from Sigman.

Is that serious? Would be cool to see Herbert try mma.

13. skey91***

skey91*** Banned Banned

I don't know man I think Makhov is losing any time soon, he is so young and big and strong and I think he is going to be on top for a while.

211 is so stacked as usual, toughest weight in the world.

But don't sleep on Bergman, he is a legit top quality and has had nice year in internaitonal tournies.

Dlagnev couldn't beat Sigman, lost to him both at Nationals and World Qualifiers. Sigman also beat Mocco and the other World Bronze medalist from 2009.

He is a very good and could medal.

14. RJ Green

RJ Green Black Belt

War iowa!!!

15. GBDaz

GBDaz Blue Belt

Suprising dlagnev lost sigman must be very good, dlagnev has been wrestling quite a lot of internationals doing well, he got to the heavyweight final of the habibi and movahed cup in Iran but was beaten by masoumi. Taymzov is registered on fila as the uzbek 120kg wrestler.

Last edited: Sep 4, 2010
  16. fourfif**

fourfif** Banned Banned

I guess it can go either way, here's Dlagnev beating Sigman in 09

17. skey91***

skey91*** Banned Banned

Dlagnev also beat Masoumi this year too, I think it was right before qualifiers.

The US is usally very competitive at HWT.

18. skey91***

skey91*** Banned Banned

Yeah he has beaten him but for most of thier careers Sigman has gotten the better of him.

Sigman has been fighting off some injuries for a while and just seems healthy this year and moving to PSU to train with Sanderson has obviously helped.

I was hoping for Dlagnev to win because he was looking better in international tournies before the qualifier but Sigman has really turned it on this summer and I think he is very very good chance at a medal.

But I can't see him beating Makhov.

19. skey91***

skey91*** Banned Banned

Thats what you call manhandling!

20. GBDaz

GBDaz Blue Belt

He beat masoumi at the very start of the year in january in the final period a very good win, but that match was dead rubber as Iran had already won the team match, so there was nothing to wrestle for, but a win is a win, no-one goes out to lose, but masoumi beat him comfortably and that was the end of july but that was also on home ground, it will be interesting to see how everything goes seems quite open, But its clear russia will win, then i reckon Iran second azerbeijan third. But Iran depends on the mental of Yazdani and goudarzi some days they can be the best wrestler in the world others they can be very dissapointing, I just hope they have the conditioning down.