Freeman's Training Log

Friday – went to an hour long beginner MMA session. It was not physically demanding, however I did learn some pointers on working on my guillotine.

Saturday – Between skipping on cement Thursday in my garage and throwing kicks at MMA on Friday my left knee was starting to bother me again. I went to advanced BJJ class and had a good session. Did some rolling with higher belts and got pwnt, as a class we went over the scissor sweep, cross choke and went on to spatula aka wing sweep.

There are funny little things that you learn going over simple things like the scissor when you’re working in the advanced class, when trying to get a nice deep grip on the collar I would always pull down on the collar the get a deep cross grip. If I push up on the same side collar, giving slack, you can get a deep grip so much easier.

Good hard session on Saturday that made me earn my supper.

My knee and shoulder are feeling beat up today.

Tonight: Advanced BJJ - got beat up by everybody, including fellow whitebelts. 1 hour.

I have mat burn on my face.

mat burn on the face is never fun, now its time to make up some wild story about how rabid dogs caused it while saving a baby.

Thankfully the mat burn wasnt' that bad. I just had the hang-over, unshaven look at work the next day.

Friday evening: Lifting - first time in a few weeks (since I decided to be 'a man' and not tap).

Bike 10 min to warm up

Deads worked up to 318 x 5 x 5
shoulder felt fine. Grip was sucking I forgot my chalk but had my straps so I used them the last 3 sets and did one last DL mixed grip hold with 225 for as long as I could.

OHP
sucked
worked up to 3 x 5 x 90 lbs. Cleaning the weight up felt fine. pushing up sucked.

Bench 135 x 3 x 5 that hurt too :S

Dips bw x 10 x 5

1 bw pull up that really hurt.

I had hoped to lift again this weekend but it didn't work out.

Last night: attempt at lifting

I worked in the garden for an hour and a half after work, so I didn't get to the gym until late, giving me 45 min before close.

Squat - I spent 10 minutes stretching and working under the bar, but my shoulder prevented me from holding it correctly without making my back do funny things.

Clean and Press
50kg x 1 x 6
60kg x 1 x 3
C& power jerk
70kg x 1 x 3

I took a long time between sets This was just fooling around, however it's a lift I would like to learn more. My shoulder had a sharp pain after the heavier set. Cleans were easy but pressing was a challenge.

Leg press (I miss squatting)

whatever x whatever.

Last night: Lifting

Slowly getting more mobility back in my shoulder. I played around with holding a broomstick accross my shoulders, it felt better than last week but still not the way it should.

FS (clean the first rep)
45kg x 5
65kg x 5
75kg x 5
95kg x a few rides on the fail boat trying to clean
75kg x 5
75 x a lot of misses on the clean
75x 5

OHP (clean the first rep)
100 5x5
shoulder mobility was off but it felt easy.

Bench Press:
work up to 185 x 5x5

This was better than I thought it was going to be. Shoulder feels odd if I struggle at a sticking poing and move my elbows (I know this is bad form but I like it better than the roll of shame). My shoulder was holding my benching back but I think if I tried to max out I probably couldn't get 225.

I had the goal of a 300lbs bench by the time my child was born but I don't think this will be happening with my crappy shoulder/low training rate.

Glad to hear that your shoulder is improving. Do you know if you are having a boy or girl yet? How far along is she now?

Thanks man.

We decided we didn't want to know what we were having, so it will be a surprise. Most people in our prenatal class knew what they were having.

We're ~5 weeks away from the due date. It's getting close.

Yesterday AM:

Deads
work up to:

352 x 3
374 x 3 x 3
330 x 3

I did some cleans, jerks, c+j with the bar for a while.

Tried to do some wtyl's and other rehab stuff for my shoulder.

Thanks B3!

Tonight Lifting:

(had company over for supper, didn't go to the gym until late)

Bench
warm up sets x a lot.
225 x 3 x 5

YTWLs

Gym closed

Home:
CoCs for a bit (I've lost some hand strength not a great deal though... )

Band dislocates, side raises, face pulls and other shoulder stretching.

It felt good to bench somewhat near what I used to even though it was ugly as hell.

Today: Lifting

I woke up with a headache like I was severly hung-over (but not). Lifting made the headache worse but I wanted to lift harder heavier.

warm up: bike and shoulder stretching,

Squats:
could barely BARELY hold the bar. It still felt good to try.
after a warm up set with just the bar I did some leg swings to loosen the hips.
warm up to
225 x 10 x 5 WOOOOOO!!!!!!!
my groin was hurting mid way through and this made me sweat but it was good to squat again. This is the first time I've squated since Apr 15th. :redface::redface::redface:

Cleans (in kilos)
45 x 3
65 x 1 x 3
75 x 1 x 2
85 x 1
85 x fail x 2

Deads
singles warmed up to singles of
396 (kilo conversion fail)
406 (pinched my finger with my wedding ring)
+ straps
406 x fail
I guess this would be the third time I've lifted over 400lbs.

Since my goal of pre-baby-bench press of 300lbs maybe my goal will be a pre-baby-450lbs dead.

DB rows 75 x 10 x 5

started doing curls, but it bothered my shoulder. called it a day

you should have started with the curls that way you would make sure to get them in since they are the most important lift there is

^^^It's a shame when injuries prevent a person from doing the most important exercises, isn't it?

Last night:

Bench
warm up to 185 x 5 x 5

DB SOHP
30 x 5
40 x 5 x 2

Shurgs with 75 dbs x 10 x 3

gym closed

gym time: 25 min

later in the night: walk 45 min

My wife has been swelling up lately, so I'm doing more cooking and cleaning. We also spent a little less than an hour installing the baby seat in the car. (It wasn't that complecated, more just double checking every thing).

I had to remove a carseat at work the other day (so I could show some lady that didn't believe me that a fridge would NOT fit in her car). It was pretty complicated.

Tonight:

first lifting session in almost 3 weeks.

Deads
320 x 5 x 5

Bench
warm up to
185 x 5
190 x 5
200 x 5

The weight felt good, my hands hurt because I have so few caluses.

Gym membership has run out, I'm looking to buy some stuff again, as the child could be born any day and I think lifting at home would be cool.

Yesterday AM:

Squats
warm up to 300 x 5 x 5

Bench
205 x 3 x 4
210 x 3 x 1

DB curls
Row machine

My legs are stiff as hell today.

My (9 month prego) wife and I went to the sports bar for UFC last night, we were there in time for the prelims and the place was filling up. When it came time to switch to the PPV somehting happened with the satalite. I thought there was going to be a riot in the packed sports bar, eventually they got it started (45 minutes late).

Last edited:
I bought about 550lbs of steel weights, a 7 foot bar, an ez curl bar, and clamps 2 days ago. I still need to get a rack, bench, and some mats to put all this stuff on.

Last night I got to use it for the first time.

push press (clean for the first rep)
95 x 10 x 5

ex bar reverse curls and tricep extentions
55 x 10 x 5

Hot as hell the garage last night.

Does your garage have A/C? It's hot as shit when I'm lifting as well. It's a true gut check on 5x5 sets.

Back