Free speech on the internet?

There are plenty of things you cannot say online. Free speech your *ss.
you seem to be confused, free speech is not the same as other people being required to give you a platform to speak on. You want to post on sherdog, you get sherdog approved speech.

If you dont like that, post somewhere that allows the kind of speech you want. If nowhere allows the kind of speech you want (pretty unlikely on the internet) then email it to someone.

You are still free to say anything you want, and Jeff Sherwood is free to not have it posted on his site.

It completely baffles my mind the level of juvenile angst/ignorance that is displayed on the Internet, and in this thread. People were hanged for saying "King ______ is not even half the king his father was". You would be tortured and executed for that, or for not subscribing to the church du jour.

That is what freedom of speech means. To state your beliefs, or displeasure with the government, or reigning religion and not be imprisoned or killed for it.

To have your privileges revoked or curtailed to not spew racist hate speech or threaten someone is not impinging upon your right of free speech. No government agent is knocking on your door, you got kicked off of a private site, or received a penalty. Grow up, baby.

Nor is freedom of speech the right to say anything you want anywhere you want because you feel like it. You dont have the right to cause panic or fear because it amuses you in a public setting. So to be clear, freedom of speech allows you to express opinions and beliefs without being locked up or executed, provided those beliefs are not criminal in nature. It does not provide the right to break laws and cause disturbances and claim the right to impede others, or cause fear is protected-because it is not.

To be fair, when places go unmoderated they end up Just becoming a haven for trolls trying to grab attention. I wouldn't call places like 4chan open and honest.

You get more honesty when you somewhat keep people in check.

Why would 4chan even attempt to become more PC? They will always carry their vile history with them as long as that site operates. I've been on it twice in the past five years and both times I regretted it.

I don;t really know what you mean by free speech though. I feel like you can still say a ton of shit online and people often say far more than they would in real life because of the veil of anonymity. People frankly are tolerated far more online than anywhere else because there isn't a way to hold them to their words. They blab garbage and have no consequences to it.

I'm a moderator on a video game server, and we kick people and occasionally ban them for racial or homophobic slurs.

You wouldn't believe the amount of nerds working out their anti-authority issues that come out angry about it. Private entities are entitled to self police, because after a long day of work people don't want to hear hostile drivel while they try to relax.

I'm all for it. I wish we could get some of that on X-Box and PS4.

It completely baffles my mind the level of juvenile angst/ignorance that is displayed on the Internet, and in this thread. People were hanged for saying "King ______ is not even half the king his father was". You would be tortured and executed for that, or for not subscribing to the church du jour.

That is what freedom of speech means. To state your beliefs, or displeasure with the government, or reigning religion and not be imprisoned or killed for it.

To have your privileges revoked or curtailed to not spew racist hate speech or threaten someone is not impinging upon your right of free speech. No government agent is knocking on your door, you got kicked off of a private site, or received a penalty. Grow up, baby.

Nor is freedom of speech the right to say anything you want anywhere you want because you feel like it. You dont have the right to cause panic or fear because it amuses you in a public setting. So to be clear, freedom of speech allows you to express opinions and beliefs without being locked up or executed, provided those beliefs are not criminal in nature. It does not provide the right to break laws and cause disturbances and claim the right to impede others, or cause fear is protected-because it is not.

Beliefs are not criminal in nature? Like what? If I want to advocate for something illegal like removing speed limits on the highway or decriminalizing drugs or being able to marry my toad no one is going to arrest me.

But the freedom to offend even if it's sexist, racist, anti-religion, or w/e is something that is perfectly fine. Now, a private institution doesn't need to provide you a platform. But then again a private institution shouldn't have to provide you admittance or membership either if we are going to allow private institutions that power.

Beliefs are not criminal in nature? Like what? If I want to advocate for something illegal like removing speed limits on the highway or decriminalizing drugs or being able to marry my toad no one is going to arrest me.

But the freedom to offend even if it's sexist, racist, anti-religion, or w/e is something that is perfectly fine. Now, a private institution doesn't need to provide you a platform. But then again a private institution shouldn't have to provide you admittance or membership either if we are going to allow private institutions that power.

I was referring more towards pedophilia, but I should have worded it better. You can discuss legalization of illegal substances like drugs, in public or on the internet and it is not going to be a criminal offense. To discuss matters of a pedo nature, would be trickier. Not outright illegal, but it will get you attention and retaliation-deservedly so. If you carry out such conversations on the net, it may get you watched.

Go ahead and marry your toad, she is a slut and has hopped around with nearly everyone in the warroom. I know a few posters that got warts from her.

There's a subreddit for everyone. Stop complaining.

Go ahead and marry your toad, she is a slut and has hopped around with nearly everyone in the warroom. I know a few posters that got warts from her.

Isn't there a rule against divulging information shared via PM?

Isn't there a rule against divulging information shared via PM?

You can share with everyone, just not post the PM. There is a reason why Old Goat's tadpoles look like everyone but him. Just sayin.

people become culturally more PC than before.

its not good for people who appreciate Liberty and freedom.

you seem to be confused, free speech is not the same as other people being required to give you a platform to speak on. You want to post on sherdog, you get sherdog approved speech.

If you dont like that, post somewhere that allows the kind of speech you want. If nowhere allows the kind of speech you want (pretty unlikely on the internet) then email it to someone.

You are still free to say anything you want, and Jeff Sherwood is free to not have it posted on his site.

This, but why whould website like 4Chan stop providing platform for absolute freedom of speech.

Why did you taze Herman? You were trying to get his autograph, weren't you? :icon_lol:

I tased him cause he said "Jiujitsu doesn't work".

As a BJJ purple belt, i'd take that as an insult.

[YT]wpk8Bti0RzA[/YT]

Well, not really free speech.. websites are owned and moderated by individuals. But does anyone notice that there's less and less websites where you can say anything you want anymore? 4chan just made a big thing where moderators are no longer allowed to be anonymous and threads are getting deleted left and right, even if they don't break the rules. 4chan is like the last bastion of a place where you could say ANYTHING and post ANYTHING you want.. but that was gone a long time ago. But now, they are turning politically correct.

The government has nothing to do with this, but the general culture is going towards a future where free speech ends where another's feelings begins.

*fewer

also you can still be racist on stormfront, if that's your thing, bud. they'll always be there for you.

and speech has always been controlled in private settings (like internet forums, workplaces, etc). that's just not new. you're just bothered by it more now, and that's what's new.

Back