Free Fight Cain Velasquez vs Minotauro Nogueira

I was in a bar in Miami with a fellow brazilian. We were shocked how many punches Cain landed. 3 standing, 5 on the ground.

Shew, I was rustled pretty bad that night.

Well, most bigger fighters seem to peak around 34-35, but by that stage, Fedor and Nog were seemingly starting their descent down the other side of the mountain already. Just seemed a little early, and again, coincided with fighting outside of Japan.

Inb4 "mileage!", even though 23 of Fedor's first 33 MMA fights (before the loss to Werdum) were over in the first round (usually by way of a dominant win). 10 of Nog's first 21 MMA fights (before he lost to Fedor in 2003) were over in the first as well.
Nogueira, GSP, and Aldo are the only fighters in MMA history to be a top 5 fighter for 9+ consecutive years. That is legendary longevity.
To put that in perspective neither Stipe or DC have even been fighting that long.

i rarely have ill will towards fighters but browne seems to hit a nerve..
this was also a gem.

Tyg2bo5.gif

That was amazing.

Nogueira, GSP, and Aldo are the only fighters in MMA history to be a top 5 fighter for 9+ consecutive years. That is legendary longevity.
To put that in perspective neither Stipe or DC have even been fighting that long.

Why is Silva not here?

He was number 1 WW in the world around 2004 and was still ranked top 5 in MW in 2015. Did he fall out of the top 5 at any point there?

Thanks for posting. This was Cain's 8th fight...damn. Combos, kicks & a knee. That right hand in the finish was brutal.

that was nine years ago

time for ngannou to do the same to ime

BLACK POWER SMASHES BROWN PRIDE, BLACK HISTORY MONTH BABY

WAKANDA FOREVER

That fight brings back memories. Hell of a trip for me that week.

Loved seeing that. Almost as much as CC getting decapitated against GG. Many of the Pride guys just couldn’t hang with the best in the UFC.

Why is Silva not here?

He was number 1 WW in the world around 2004 and was still ranked top 5 in MW in 2015. Did he fall out of the top 5 at any point there?
I used the word consecutive. Anderson beat Sakurai in 2001. In PRIDE Anderson wasn't ranked in the top 5 after he lost to Chonan. He regained his top 5 status after he beat Leben in 2006. And he lost his top 5 status after he lost to Weidman the second time/took time off from the injury. So Anderson was a top 5 fighter for 7/8 consecutive years .

I used the word consecutive. Anderson beat Sakurai in 2001. In PRIDE Anderson wasn't ranked in the top 5 after he lost to Chonan. He regained his top 5 status after he beat Leben in 2006. And he lost his top 5 status after he lost to Weidman the second time/took time off from the injury. So Anderson was a top 5 fighter for 7/8 consecutive years .

So he was top 5 then lost his top 5 ranking when losing one fight? What was he ranked ... 6th?

So he was top 5 then lost his top 5 ranking when losing one fight? What was he ranked ... 6th?
He lost two fights. Takase and Chonan. Takase was ranked in the top 10 somewhere. Chonan wasn't ranked, so he'd be in the 20s somewhere.
Obviously that dropped Anderson low on the rankings. DQing Okami a year or whatever later didn't help his ranking.

This isn't complicated. Getting 2 Ls in the span of a year to low ranked opponents drops you out of the top 5 pretty easily.

good fight. Rogans commentary at the end is hilarious, "bing, bing, bing"

Fedor

Watched this one live, 'twas a gooden. Lytle took a leg home from memory too.

Back