Brown Belt
@Brown
Reaction score
1 - Cerrone
2 - Henderson
3 - Henderson
4 - Cerrone
5 - Cerrone

How the hell did the judges give this to Henderson? These judges clearly hated jujitsu. Also Rubber Man Ben Henderson.

Awesome! Thanks for sharing! Haven't seen this in a while

It goes down on how you score the first round IMO. I could see how they scored it for Benson and I understand why you would give it to Cerrone. Awesome fight that could easily be a draw.

One of my favorite fights ever. I thought Cerrone took it.

Also, damn do I miss the WEC. I thought they did everything better than the UFC

The only way to score that fight for Benson is if you consider surviving submission attempts Octagon Control, or some dumb shit.

if only the WEC bought the UFC instead of vice versa...

The only way to score that fight for Benson is if you consider surviving submission attempts Octagon Control, or some dumb shit.

Every submission attempted is obviously defended

Every submission attempted is obviously defended
If you're on the defensive, your opponent is on the offensive.

No matter what technique you are scoring, by unified judging standards, offense > defense every single time.

One of my favorite fights ever. I thought Cerrone took it.

Also, damn do I miss the WEC. I thought they did everything better than the UFC

I definitely have some WEC nostalgia.

Benson easily deserved the nod in this fight. He spends like 1:20 fighting off submissions attempts, and half that time he is dropping gnp on Cowboy. Mostly because Cerrone can't finish the triangle. Due to Benson having the majority of his head out and trapping the hand of Cerrone preventing any armbar attempts. Benson tries to lock Cerrone's head in guillotine during a scramble and fails so he hits him with a knee and glancing head kick. Ben lands a leg kick and so does Cerrone.

Then Benson spends some time getting the take down off Cerrone's kick, and for nearly 2 mins he is standing over Cerrone throwing gnp. With one brief omoplata attempt, that was easily escaped and Benson just went back to the gnp.

Benson rounds 1,2,3.

Weird hearing them refer to Varner as the WEC champ after his most recent string of losses

Benson was terrified of Cerrones standup. Every second that he didnt have Cerrone down, he was desperately striving for only the TD. This is how I remember the fight, but it has been awhile. This is also why Cerrone is a fan favorite and Benson is just, ehh, when it comes to exciting fights that the fans want to see. 2 weight cuts in 2 weeks has got to be hard on your body. Cerrone should just stick with 1 fight every 2 months if possible. Him and Bendo are friends, but I hope he finishes Ben in the first.

If you're on the defensive, your opponent is on the offensive.

No matter what technique you are scoring, by unified judging standards, offense > defense every single time.

It matters though if the offensive technique does not succeed in it's intention to finish the fight. That's how Clay beat Pettis.

It matters though if the offensive technique does not succeed in it's intention to finish the fight. That's how Clay beat Pettis.
Clay beat Pettis because Pettis never even came close to locking in a submission.

Cowboy had Benson in 4 submissions that lasted minutes at a time. That's minutes of being the aggressor that score for that round.

great fight, i could of have it to either guy, that was a war

Three rounds just doesn't seem adequate to decide this third fight.

Back