Free agent Marlon Moraes calls out Dominick Cruz for UFC vs. WSOF superfight

Discussion in 'Worldwide MMA Discussion' started by MMALOPEZ, Aug 6, 2016.

1. MMALOPEZ

MMALOPEZ Gold Belt

Undefeated in his last 12 bouts and with four World Series of Fighting title defenses under his belt, Marlon Moraes has just won the last fight on his current contract. Now, he’s looking for a fight against UFC bantamweight champion Dominick Cruz.

"I want to be the best in the world and for that to happen, I need to beat Dominick Cruz, who is the best, in theory." Moraes told Globo Esporte. " I suggested a super event never done before and a superfight: UFC vs. WSOF, Cruz vs. Moraes. Let's see what happens. I want this fight and I will chase it. It's really hard, but I trust my weapons. I wouldn't want to be on the other side."

The 28-year old, Marlon Moraes (17-4-1), just knocked out Josh Hill with a head kick in his last title defense, at WSOF 32. He also holds notable wins over names like Miguel Torres and Tyson Nam.

CDF47 and DoMeFavors like this.
  2. InfinityLens

InfinityLens Black Belt

The UFC has much at stake with their "we are the NFL of mma" narrative. If Moraes beats him it would be too much of a blow to that (we just saw a former Strikeforce guy take the belt from another former Strikeforce guy). A good idea would be getting WSOF to participate in Rizin and than doing Moraes v Dantas.

3. Guile

Guile Double Yellow Card Double Yellow Card

Dude has improved so damn much since joining WSOF. To think he went from 5-4-1 to 17-4-1 is crazy.

4. CDF47

CDF47 Gold Belt

Would be cool to see UFC make this fight. Really it's up to UFC. I know their custumers/fans would love it. I think Moraes would have a shot at beating Cruz based on what he has accomplished in WSOF but Cruz is tough. Win or lose, it would just be cool to see UFC put on a fight like this, or, better yet, send a mid-tier fighter over to Rizin. It's their business though so we'll see what they do.

5. Gendry

Gendry Green Belt

I am not sure what you are talking about. Moraes is a FA so he can sign with UFC tomorrow and hope to one day fight Cruz. If you are saying he can sign with WSOF and then UFC is going to co-promote this fight then you and him are on the strongest drugs ever invented.

UFC doesn't co-promote and never will. They are the 800lb gorilla of MMA. Why the hell would they co-promote with a promotion that draws flies on NBCSN, can't sell tickets, and most MMA fans don't watch? UFC doesn't give a bleep about Bellator, WSOF, Rizin, ect. They are irrelevant compared to UFC. They are the NFL/NBA/MLB/NHL/EPL of MMA. If a fighter like Moraes wants people to pay attention to him and fight the best like Cruz, he can sign. Otherwise they can continue in their irrelevancy.

Phillyz, mindturking and CC27 like this.
  6. Sicarii

Sicarii Purple Belt

Yeah man I remember the first WSOF i was thinking who's this scrub fighting Torres, definitely has improved immensely, would love to see him fight in the UFC next

7. InfinityLens

InfinityLens Black Belt

You mean that promotion were 4 of the top 10 of the division we are taking about aren't even signed with them? Yes clearly they are the equivalent of the NFL.

Dangus, agibmxmma and CDF47 like this.
  8. qw3rty

qw3rty PM me for free filler-room uppercuts

He should sign with UFC, but no way in hell he would receive a TS in his first fight

He has all the tools to earn it with a couple of fights tough.
    love the guy

agibmxmma likes this.
  9. qw3rty

qw3rty PM me for free filler-room uppercuts

Moraes, Bibi, Dantas
    Who is your number 4? Serious question
    In my book the rest of top 10 are UFC fighters

CC27 likes this.
  10. CDF47

CDF47 Gold Belt

Nice post

11. HendricksPunch

HendricksPunch Quick jab by Hendricks

He deserves an immediate title shot if he signs with the UFC.

12. Kung Fu Kowboy

Kung Fu Kowboy RIP Kobe Bryant You will be Missed!!! Staff Member Senior Moderator

Now that's a Cruz fight I'd pay to see. Moraes v Cruz would be a war!

13. CC27

CC27 Gold Belt

Thats it, Galvao isnt top 10.

And Bibi and Moraes havent even fought a top 15 BW in their life and yet they are ranked 4 and 5 by mmajunkie.

14. UJustGotChaeld

UJustGotChaeld Steel Belt

That's why they kept Alvarez from a Title shot.

15. UJustGotChaeld

UJustGotChaeld Steel Belt

If someone wants to play in Canada rather than the big boys in the NFL no one can force them to do it.

16. InfinityLens

InfinityLens Black Belt

I doubt there are more than 5 of top 100 pro gridiron football players in orgs outside the NFL. With the MMA 63 of the top 100 bantamweights are outside the UFC, they aren't even close to the NFL.

17. agibmxmma

agibmxmma Ex Pro Fighter. Omerta, Live Aloha!

If he signs with the UFC, he should fight TJ or Assuncao first.. Then possibly Almaeida or Sterling.. Then maybe Dodson or Faber.. Then look at Cruz or Cody, maybe even his buddy Edgar who both have said they would fight if they had to one day.

18. Gendry

Gendry Green Belt

And most of those "top" batamweights outside of UFC barely make any money and are mostly anonymous. What a dumb analogy you make. UFC does not need to employ every fighter alive to be compared to the NFL. They already have a bloated roster. They only need most of the top 20-30 which they already have.

UFC is compared to the NFL because its brand is synonymous with the sport and recognized as the place where the best are fighting or playing. Compare UFC to the Champions League. Not every great player in the world plays in the Champions League, but 90% do and that is enough. And the 10% that don't want in.

19. skylolow

skylolow Silver Belt

Well if your a free agent and that is what you want then go get a deal from the UFC. One off fight doesn't accomplish anything long term win or lose.

I'm sure the UFC offer today will be much different than it was previously for him.

20. Canned Tuna

Canned Tuna Silver Belt

If the ufc is the premier league, who is la liga?