Free advice from a cop to young black males on this site.

Jack Handy jr

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
On how to have a "normal" interaction with Police. And by 'Normal" I mean not ending in arrest, being shot, Tazed, pepper sprayed or Killed.

A little about me I am currently a Fed. but I started out in the military and worked local PD for 6 years before I took a position with the Feds. I was raised in a "Ferguson", " Baltimore" type of city. My Mom is white dad is a Vietnam vet who is black. So my brother and I fall into the "light skinned" category of black men that some of our dark skinned blacks say makes us less likely to be assaulted by police "colorism" it's not for this thread and too faceted to delve into anyway.

I refer to myself as black because well that's what I look like, simple explanation. I don't deny my white half. Just if you look at me you don't see a white guy so now to the thread topic.

If you're a young black guy reading this. You might say well "why do I have to follow this sellouts advice?" (that's what black kids call black males in law enforcement lol)

Because I have what's in my opinion a unique purview of both sides of this issue. I will freely admit that they're are "racist cops" that said there are racist Krispy Kreme/Dunkin artisan, airline pilots, clergy, hair stylists, pro wrestlers, mechanics, news reporters, of course I could go on but you get the point.

Everything esp in America is viewed through unconscious and conscious stereotypes or racial/culture pre conceived notions good or bad Asians are good at math GOOD! Asians are bad drivers BAD just an example every not every Asian guy is a math wiz nor is every Asian a bad driver.

Just like not every Young black man that has dreads, gold teeth, sagging, pants and a bad attitude a thug. the problem with this outward projection of other ethnicities pre conceived notion of what a "thug" looks like, will in many instances get you treated like a thug.

Now am I advocating every young black guy start dressing and acting like Steve Urkel I mean that would help tbh. But that's not realistic. I only advise any young black guy that'll take the time to read all this that PERCEPTION is REALITY to most of your fellow humans. And a HUGE part of how you will be initially categorized by a stranger, or the police initially. So my advice is choose your style of dress and your public behavior(act like you got some damn home training and manners) ....wisely.

Now one thing many blacks some in my own family fail to ever admit is that blacks are very emotional, pride filled beings. and imo anytime one is emotionally ruled or filled with pride a fall of some sort or fashion is coming. Be it in whatever fashion it's coming.

So you young black guys reading this. You need to try and control the urge to cuss at sass, fight, run from, or assault the police in general when stopped. I know in a perfect world you shouldn't get tazed or arrested for having a pissing contest referring to the poor body language, cursing, or being a smart ass with a cop. But it isn't a perfect world.

If you get into a situation with a cop and you're deemed what we as cops term "un compliant" it is our duty to make you compliant. Depending on the cop, his mood, his level of training, and what you're saying to him. The cop may

1.De-escalate the situation by taking the "high road" or

2.Go into full alpha mode and make you respect him.

in either of those choices you still have to understand that the Police officer is in control. Even in the worst case scenario when a cop gets shot and killed at these traffic stops. ultimately you will lose.

if it's a minor traffic thing and you fell you've been racially profiled. My advice is to go along with it. Then if you feel that your constitutional rights have been violated, or infringed. Make a legal issue out of it, simply sue.That's the tried and true American way anyhow.

There are lawyers like Geoffrey Fieger in Detroit that all he does is live to sue PD's for apparent misconduct. If the cop was in the wrong and you follow the proper legal channels. You'll more than likely end up with a settlement check and that'll be the end of it.

The other choice of challenging a cop, running from a cop, resisting a cop, verbally berating a cop, 99% of the time will see you end up in jail, or maybe even dead. Now if a video like Charleston surfaces where there appears to be clear police misconduct. And by misconduct, I'm referring to the FACT that there is NO police Tactics, polices, or procedures, nor does any accredited Police Academy teach that you should shoot someone in the back.

The problem is with the Charleston case being an example is. That your ass is still dead. Yeah your family might get a fat check from the City. But you're dead. If the guy in Charleston never ran, right now, today, he'd be alive somewhere in Charleston doing whatever. if he had not ran, not struggled with the officer he'd be alive.

The exact same for the Michael Brown shooting. Young black male that has zero home training, basic respect for authority, or manners. Assaults a cop and gets killed.

And to hit on all the "Unarmed" furor of late. We're all MMA fans. That's what initially brought us to Sherdog. I'll assume most of at least train and many have probably jumped in the cage or the ring.

So if you're on these boards even as someone who doesn't train or fight. You know that someone can be knocked unconscious, or beat the fuck down without needing a gun, bottle, knife, brass knuckles, whatever to do it.

One thing you guys don't know is that almost every police academy the first or second day of the academy. The instructors shows us dash cams and prison video never released to the public of Cops and corrections officers getting beatdown and killed, physically assaulted their duty weapons taken and assassinated.

One video they showed us in Georgia a cop gets into a fight loses the fight the criminal gets his gun and before he shoots the cop point blank in the face you here on the dash cam "I've got a family" in which then you hear the perp respond "fuck your family" then the shot.

in conclusion. Obey what the cop is asking you to do, don't run from the police, don't fight with the police, don't charge at a cop (or any man) pointing a gun at you telling you to get on the ground. and you'll be fine.

from the time I've been an LEO I've been pulled over several times for speeding. I've yet to be tased, arrested, shot, or assaulted by a cop, and I never "badge" when I get pulled over. below are several links of cops who have been killed by unarmed suspects" so you anti cop haters can see what in the back of our minds when these confrontations go down. feel free to PM me.

http://www.odmp.org/officer/22056-police-officer-david-w-smith

http://www.breitbart.com/california...ficers-were-fatally-shot-by-unarmed-suspects/

http://www.policeone.com/close-quar...Own-Guns-Likely-Will-Not-Change-R-I-Policies/

Last edited:
That's good advice for everybody. Problem nowadays is that many don't learn that bad behavior has bad consequences til life gets serious.

This thread is actually well thought out

This was better than I thought.

It was still pretty bad.
We need to fix police culture, especially in regard to our racial history. Once we start making substantive gains in that area, I can finally get on board with the parental pandering to blacks.

This was better than I thought.

It was still pretty bad.
We need to fix police culture, especially in regard to our racial history. Once we start making substantive gains in that area, I can finally get on board with the parental pandering to blacks.

People need to stop acting like assholes in general, cops and citizens alike. The issue isn't one way. Police often deal with scumbags and as a result start treating everyone like a scumbag which causes people to retaliate.

Use common sense to be more concise.

Da bruvas need cliff huxtable notes, son.

Great post....thanks for posting.

I'm sure you'll get a lot of snide remarks, and hateful comments....but fuck them.

And in before proboxinginsider says 99 percent of cops are terrible

People shouldn't be out doing what they're not supposed to be doing if they don't want bad interactions with Police. When I see the police I am always polite and do what ever they say. They're only doing their job. But I am not American so I have no real perspective on the issue.

People need to stop acting like assholes in general, cops and citizens alike. The issue isn't one way. Police often deal with scumbags and as a result start treating everyone like a scumbag which causes people to retaliate.

It isn't one-way, I agree. I was ostracized on the only super-duper-far-left community I've ever seen, because I said that Ferguson cops have reason to fear for their lives and use their means.

However, the burden is on the cops in this country. While American blacks may be more violent then other racial demographics, the disparity compared to other demographics here and abroad is NOT EVEN CLOSE to the disparity between American cops and cops in Europe in regard to killings and brutality.

EDIT: Aren't you a Rams fan? Why don't I ever see you in the NFL threads? I live in STL so I'm somewhat invested in them.

Very well said. Ive had plenty of interactions with cops and always been extremely polite and respectful, even when I thought they were being an asshole. Low and behold, every interaction ended with me not being arrested.

That's good advice for everybody. Problem nowadays is that many don't learn that bad behavior has bad consequences til life gets serious.

True a lot of these young black males have no positive father figure so perversely the criminal behaviour they exhibit is well....normal in their personal thought matrix/reality. They take those behaviours they intrinsically feel are normal then run into cops and there's conflict they can't "win" for lack of a better term.

Then they look confused because they are. There's a line from the movie menace to society we're Kane is talking to some OG during a prison visit. and the guy tells Kane to raise his son differently "teach him how we were raised was bullshit"

Last edited:
However, the burden is on the cops in this country. While American blacks may be more violent then other racial demographics, the disparity compared to other demographics here and abroad is NOT EVEN CLOSE to the disparity between American cops and cops in Europe in regard to killings and brutality.

In the last 15 years in the UK 25 police have been killed.

In the last 15 Months in the US 143 police officers have been killed.

The Disparity between the dangers of being a cop in the US and being a cop in Europe is mind boggling. More US police officers are killed some years than European countries have lost in recent wars.

The simple fact is if we train out cops like Sweden or the UK trains theirs and sends them out with billy clubs and orders not to protect themselves we will have not only more police deaths, but the overall murder rate will increase.

Look at Baltimore the police have specifically reduced their interactions on the streets out of fear of a incident and the murder rate has skyrocketed to levels not seen in decades.

And before you say anything about me justifying police brutality the whole point of my post has nothing to do with defending police it has everything to do with you making a nonsensical comparison between wildly different situations in different countries on different continents with different populations, cultures, and societal realities.

The US is not Europe.

The other choice of challenging a cop, running from a cop, resisting a cop, verbally berating a cop, 99% of the time will see you end up in jail, or maybe even dead.

1. I don't condone running from the police, but I question whether 99% of the folks who run from the police end up in jail.

2. It helps to be polite to the police. They see a lot of dumb shit through their day, and your best experience is always going to be by playing nice.

3. There are a lot of good cops. They seem to be the majority. That said, it's hard to think of another profession with such a high concentration of absolute dicks. That can make being polite harder in some individual cases, but it's still worth it.

In the last 15 years in the UK 25 police have been killed.

In the last 15 Months in the US 143 police officers have been killed.

The Disparity between the dangers of being a cop in the US and being a cop in Europe is mind boggling. More US police officers are killed some years than European countries have lost in recent wars.

The simple fact is if we train out cops like Sweden or the UK trains theirs and sends them out with billy clubs and orders not to protect themselves we will have not only more police deaths, but the overall murder rate will increase.

Look at Baltimore the police have specifically reduced their interactions on the streets out of fear of a incident and the murder rate has skyrocketed to levels not seen in decades.

And before you say anything about me justifying police brutality the whole point of my post has nothing to do with defending police it has everything to do with you making a nonsensical comparison between wildly different situations in different countries on different continents with different populations, cultures, and societal realities.

The US is not Europe.

Firstly, let's narrow our scope to a European nation with reliable state reports for clarity and so I don't have to spend the entire night chasing reports.

United Kingdom:
1 (reported/est) police killing in 2014
Population: 64 million
Persons killed per population: 1 in 64 million

US:
1050 (reported/est) police killings in 2014
Population: 319 million
Persons killed per population: 1 in 304 thousand

That translates to the US having 10.6 times more police killings than the UK per citizen.

The US is not Europe.

The reason police are different here is that unionization has been stripped down so much that unions are now protective private entities that protect their persons in the interest of the state and membership and at the expense of their purpose. We're militarized and without actual oversight. Europe (in this case, the UK) is not.

Completely agree. Any relationship can benefit from more communication of a positive or constructive manner

Use common sense to be more concise.

Da bruvas need cliff huxtable notes, son.

No no please no more bill Cosby I'm a Christian but I believe in karma. Makes you think why his son Enid was randomly murdered? Sins of the father maybe? Any way before his sexual predator alter ego was made known the cos had some legitimate critiques of the inner city black community.

Sadly now he's lost all credibility and should be in prison tbh.

I LOLed when you, as a cop, listed donut maker as a random job in your list.

Here's the problem.

Guns.

Too many.
Too easy to attain.

We as a nation can't do anything about it because the people we elect are already worshiping at the altar of Mammon. No one dares stand up to the mighty gun associations for fear of losing the gravy train. We CAN change things.. We're just too afraid to try. For those "misfits" who even try, they're labeled as traitors to the constitution.

So we accept people who get scared, run from the Police, getting shot in the back.
We accept people getting choked to death on video by the people sworn to protect us because they were selling single cigarettes.

We accept kids getting rolled up on and blown away without a "Kid you'd better drop it or you're going to get blown away!" warning.

This is our new normal, fear of the gun makes it our reality.

Back