frankie edgar's boxing

segasaturn

Green Belt
Reaction score
i didn't know where to post this, but i thought i would get better responses from the boxing fans on sherdog.

what do you guys think of edgar's boxing? looking back on the penn fight, i thought edgar showed great footwork. penn relies too much on his jab and i think edgar exposed him a little bit. he has the best footwork at lw imo. what do you guys think of his head movement and things like that? and do you think he'll defeat bj penn again? i personally think he's a bad matchup for penn.

By MMA standards, Frankie Edgar showed very good boxing...

Edgar, BJ Penn, Kenny Florian and George Soto (spelling abridged) have effectively implemented boxing into their fight plans...

BJ penn won his fight against Sean Sherk using simple boxing,

Kenny Florian dismantled and controlled the entire fight against Gomi using a simple jab.

Soto embarassed Kurt Pelligrino using simple boxing.

i didn't know where to post this, but i thought i would get better responses from the boxing fans on sherdog.

what do you guys think of edgar's boxing? looking back on the penn fight, i thought edgar showed great footwork. penn relies too much on his jab and i think edgar exposed him a little bit. he has the best footwork at lw imo. what do you guys think of his head movement and things like that? and do you think he'll defeat bj penn again? i personally think he's a bad matchup for penn.

For MMA fighters his Boxing is very good.

Soto embarassed Kurt Pelligrino using simple boxing.

Till he got absolutely creamed with a knee to the dome in the last 10 seconds. Soto looked great in that fight in all aspects, but faded as it went on, and Pellegrino showed he's as gully as anyone you're likely to find at LW, from start to finish.

Edgar is a quick one, uses his speed well, i was impressed the way he handled Sherk

His hooks are pretty sharp.
Good accuracy, not too looping, turned over pretty well.

He bounces around too much and doesn't sit down on his punches.

first thing that popped in my head. he doesnt like getting hit... i mean who does... but damn, he moves like a rabbit. imo thats no good, especially if you wanna finish guys off.

with subtle head movement, sitting down on his punches + his footwork... he would be a tough fight for anyone

In the Penn fight I saw the same thing as in the Forrest-Jardine fight. One fighter is basically standing still in the center of the ring throwing out punches, and the other fighter is moving around, controling distance, controling the pace of the fight, and basically dictating his own will.

Edgar still looks like he is trying to immitate a good boxer by hopping around like crazy and hasn't quite mastered how to move smoothly (this will come naturally if he keeps practicing), but he had a gameplan and it worked really well. Penn made the mistake of being a stationary target (guys like Toney can get away with it, but it ain't easy). If you are that much bigger and physically imposing you need to corner and kill your target, not just wait around and assume something will happen. Penn has good boxing, but he sure didn't show it there. Edgar showed that good boxing and footwork fundementals can shutdown an opponent who doesnt know how to deal with it, and doesnt know how to chase you down.

In the Penn fight I saw the same thing as in the Forrest-Jardine fight. One fighter is basically standing still in the center of the ring throwing out punches, and the other fighter is moving around, controling distance, controling the pace of the fight, and basically dictating his own will.

Edgar still looks like he is trying to immitate a good boxer by hopping around like crazy and hasn't quite mastered how to move smoothly (this will come naturally if he keeps practicing), but he had a gameplan and it worked really well. Penn made the mistake of being a stationary target (guys like Toney can get away with it, but it ain't easy). If you are that much bigger and physically imposing you need to corner and kill your target, not just wait around and assume something will happen. Penn has good boxing, but he sure didn't show it there. Edgar showed that good boxing and footwork fundementals can shutdown an opponent who doesnt know how to deal with it, and doesnt know how to chase you down.

To say Edgar shut Penn down (or won the fight) is a bit of a stretch. Actually, it's just plain incorrect.

bump.

edgar`s boxing was even better for the rematch. like i said last month, i believed edgar was a bad matchup for penn and it looks like edgar proved me right. he is too fast for bj.

He doubled up on that left hook countless times and landed it at will.

hes not a bad boxer, he has good handspeed and foot speed, but he is strictly a points boxer. He takes away a lot of his power by stepping away as he throws. If he would mix it up a bit more and occasionally step into his last punches in his combinations, he could probably land some much more effective punches.

He utilizes good lateral movement. A little too much, as he lands a punch he faints away, taking any sting out of it. Changes levels after a jab lands instead of following it up. Hold his right hand a little low and moves to the right at the same time. Was hoping to see a southpaw (Florian) capitalize on that point.

Back