Frank Shamrock=most underrated fighter in MMA history?

blacknblue104

Green Belt
@Green
Reaction score
IMO Frank Shamrock was the prototype for modern MMA fighters...The first guy who could strike, grapple, be well conditioned, as well as being a very strategic fighter.

First ever UFC Light Heavyweight Champion, had 4 straight title defenses in the UFC (finished every fight), including submitting Olympic Gold Medalist Kevin Jackson in 16 seconds. His fight against Tito is a forgotten classic, probably the greatest fight in UFC history that rarely gets talked about.

I know he retired at a young age, but Frank should be held in just as high esteem as Royce, Ken, Sakuraba, Coleman, Rickson, etc when it comes to the pioneers of the game. If anything he did more to develop the actual art of "MMA" than any of those other guys I listed.

I know that he and Dana White are on really bad terms, but Frank should have been put in the UFC Hall of Fame years ago. Frank getting inducted will be a major step in legitimizing the UFC Hall of Fame, he more than deserves the recognition for his contributions.

I think he's pretty accurately rated when he's brought up, unless not being brought up often means being underrated.

There's some truth to this but his last name is shamrock so he'll always get shit

Cung Le who
IMO Frank Shamrock was the prototype for modern MMA fighters...The first guy who could strike, grapple, be well conditioned, as well as being a very strategic fighter.

First ever UFC Light Heavyweight Champion, had 4 straight title defenses in the UFC (finished every fight), including submitting Olympic Gold Medalist Kevin Jackson in 16 seconds. His fight against Tito is a forgotten classic, probably the greatest fight in UFC history that rarely gets talked about.

I know he retired at a young age, but Frank should be held in just as high esteem as Royce, Ken, Sakuraba, Coleman, Rickson, etc when it comes to the pioneers of the game. If anything he did more to develop the actual art of "MMA" than any of those other guys I listed.

I know that he and Dana White are on really bad terms, but Frank should have been put in the UFC Hall of Fame years ago. Frank getting inducted will be a major step in legitimizing the UFC Hall of Fame, he more than deserves the recognition for his contributions.

He retired aged nearly 37 after getting half the bones in his body broke by Cung Le and then got knocked out cold by Nick Diaz who isn't known as a KO artist.

Frank-Shamrock-KOs-Igor-Zinoviev.gif

When mentioned I am sure fans and fighters are well aware he was a pioneer for the sport

Ya because u are surrounded by conor retards. If u talk to any old schooler they will tell u frank shamrock was the shit

He was even humble in defeated when he was past his prime and guys like nick diaz were beating him

Frank shamrock is a legit legend

I wouldn't put too much weight on whether someone gets in the UFC Hall of Fame or not. People that have followed MMA know that Frank is a legend.

Cung Le who

He retired aged nearly 37 after getting half the bones in his body broke by Cung Le and then got knocked out cold by Nick Diaz who isn't known as a KO artist.
It was a TKO, he didn't get knocked out cold by Diaz

Great fighter no doubt.

His biggest problem though has always been his mouth and he really started running it as the MMA world was ramping up on the Internet. So instead of people talking about his greatness they talked about what the hell did he just say. Frank seem to got his mouth under control in the later part of his career. But what was suppose to be his prime years he sat around running his mouth on the internet.

Considering Frank is only really discussed by people who have been following MMA since the beginning? It's impossible for him to be underrated because he is considered one of the greatest to ever live by us. He was most certainly the very first "complete" fighter and it was an extremely exciting time watching him compete.

Most fans today don't really talk about or mention him because Dana has blacklisted him from the UFC. The truth is Frank should have been the 2nd person to ever be inducted into the UFC hall of fame.

He's truly one of the greatest fighters of all time.

I couldn't agree more with everything you just said.

Cung Le who

?

He got his arm broken in the first round vs Le. Quite remarkable seeing he lasted another 2 rounds, and almost knocked him out while fighting with 1 arm well past his prime. Half the bones in his body?

Also, Diaz never knocked him out cold. It was a TKO and it came from body shots.

Colonel Mustard called. He said get a clue.

There's some truth to this but his last name is shamrock so he'll always get shit
Only because of extremely ignorant Johnny-come-lately's. Both shamrocks deserve mad respect. Ken fighting longer than he should have and making a bit of a spectacle of himself at times should'nt negate that. That being said, Frank was better.

Loved me some Frank. Wish his career would have been a bit more illustrious at the end.

Back