Frank Shamrock: "Hero Shot" as Strikeforce ends...

and we finally get the fights we've wanted to see

I know! this is so GREAT!!!

UFC-157-Poster.jpg

Not the same. In those leagues, players negotiate with specific teams. If they don't like the terms, they can field offers from other teams, and still be able to compete at the same level. With MMA, if you want to compete at the top, you have to go to the UFC and take whatever they give you.

With an independent Strikeforce, there was at least a viable alternative, same as there was with Pride (some would argue that the UFC was the "alternative" at that time). They were the "teams" fighters "played" for.

Granted, with everyone under one roof, there is the greater likelihood of getting the matchups we want, and truly seeing how good fighters are. It's just that the UFC knows it, and can use that to potentially lowball fighters during contract negotiations.

The NFL/NBA/NHL/MLB also have players unions, so that players can have more clout while negotiating to combat the might of the leagues. MMA doesn't. It's every fighter for themselves.

Great points. Maybe it's time for the MMA fighters to unionize.

very sad to see SF go, i thought they put out a MUCH better product as far as fights, professionalism and atmosphere are concerned. If Fedor had won his fights they would still be a viable alternative to the ufc for talent.

Not the same. In those leagues, players negotiate with specific teams. If they don't like the terms, they can field offers from other teams, and still be able to compete at the same level. With MMA, if you want to compete at the top, you have to go to the UFC and take whatever they give you.

With an independent Strikeforce, there was at least a viable alternative, same as there was with Pride (some would argue that the UFC was the "alternative" at that time). They were the "teams" fighters "played" for.

Granted, with everyone under one roof, there is the greater likelihood of getting the matchups we want, and truly seeing how good fighters are. It's just that the UFC knows it, and can use that to potentially lowball fighters during contract negotiations.

The NFL/NBA/NHL/MLB also have players unions, so that players can have more clout while negotiating to combat the might of the leagues. MMA doesn't. It's every fighter for themselves.
You're a whiney idiot. Increasing te talent pool will only serve to increase the viewership,and with that comes more pay. Instead, you imagine that the fighters will be screwed over and would rather divide the talent and dillude the product, depriving fans of the best fights because you have a fear of somethinghappeningthat has not happened. Youpeopleannoythefuckoutofme.

I know! this is so GREAT!!!

UFC-157-Poster.jpg

Stupid. Let's hear what you would do, over the next five events. Taking into consideration who is not injured, the timeframes of their last fights, teammates refusing to fight, local fighters to the venue, payroll restraints, etc and see these endless epic fights you would bring forth with your marketing genius. And then I am sure NO ONE would bitch. There would be any hard to please whiney bitches anymore as 100% of the fans would support what you managed to put together.

I am gonna miss strikeforce for sure...
UFC/ZUFFA monopoly is not the way to go imho.

I agree entirely, makes the mma landscape as a whole much less interesting. Sucks to see Strikeforce go the way of Pride and Wec.

I'm gonna miss StrikeForce for sure. There would always be entertaining and fighters would always go for the kill.

Back