Frank Mir's Road to the Title

BBMN

Pancakes?!
@red
Reaction score
His only good win since December 2011 is Bigfoot.

He is 2-4 in his last six fights.

Why all this talk about a title shot? Just a lot of older fans of his knowing he has a limited shelf life and having high hopes for the veteran?

I don't get how this translates to a title fight. If he beat Andre, he's still not on some monster tear.

His win streak would be small, yeah, but Andrei is at the top of the list for a title shot, so beating him would be big. I'd still say Frank would need another win after that, though. Then he'd have a 4 fight win streak, two over contenders.

So yeah, if he beat Andrei, he'd rightfully be very close to a title shot.

he will need a few more wins to bet in title talks. I wish he was not finding Andrei though

I can agree if he beats Andre, and then another top name, yes. It would be a decent call to have him fight the champ.

But there is all this talk about if he beats Andre.... title fight!

I don't think the last 4 years matter as much as your last 4 fights. If he wins against AA, he's probably and conceivably one top 5 win away from a title shot. Hate all you want, god knows Frank is a magnet for it, but 2 first round finishes look good, and Silva is no joke. A win against AA would defintely make the talk real.

But there is all this talk about if he beats Andre.... title fight!

Yeah, I agree that'd be bullshit. He needs another top 5 win IMO. Would love to see him vs. the loser of Cain/Werdum.

I don't think the last 4 years matter as much as your last 4 fights. If he wins against AA, he's probably and conceivably one top 5 win away from a title shot. Hate all you want, god knows Frank is a magnet for it, but 2 first round finishes look good, and Silva is no joke. A win against AA would defintely make the talk real.

Exactly. People always criticize MMA fans by saying "you're only as good as your last fight to these damn fickle keyboard warriors." Well, isn't that true? As we've all seen, the transition from being at the top of the mountain to unconscious in a heap on the mat comes very quickly. Similarly, things can move the other direction just as quickly, and sometimes guys can fluctuate throughout their career in terms of success. It doesn't matter that Chuck was the baddest dude out there at one point, nowadays he'd get KOed by any decent fighter around his weight class. That doesn't mean he's always sucked or had a glass jaw, it just means his last few fights have shown what Chuck is capable of now--his glorious past is not an indicator of current Chuck's abilities.

If Mir can put together a streak over good opponents, it's irrelevant that he was in a bad spot there with 4 (I think it was 4...) losses in a row. Winning now is what matters.

simple:
1) take his history with the UFC.
2) Take how he beat those guys
3) This is obvious his last chance to get close to the belt.
4) let us not forget this is the shallowest of all divisions.

Add all together, I am not really mad they give Mir a shot.

because he's a legend and a fight vs Werdum is interesting if it hits the ground

I don't know that it is actually hate, but if for some reason, Frank won the Title. How would that look. There are 4 or 5 guys that beat him 99 out of 100 times every time: Lesnar, JDS, Carwin, etc. I appreciate what he has to offer and respect a great come-back run, but I just can't buy Frank and Champ.

with werdum as champ, mir can be marketed as a contender. if he beats AA, it almost guarantees him a title shot.

I don't know that it is actually hate, but if for some reason, Frank won the Title. How would that look. There are 4 or 5 guys that beat him 99 out of 100 times every time: Lesnar, JDS, Carwin, etc. I appreciate what he has to offer and respect a great come-back run, but I just can't buy Frank and Champ.

Well, I mean, if he BEATS the champ, ya kinda gotta "buy" him as the champ. The way you write "If for some reason Frank won the title", like there's gonna be a lottery or a banana peel incident. He'll have to WIN the title, in which case, like any fighter, he'd be champ. I don't think it's LIKELY, but I also don't think 99 out of 100 is a likely number for his odds against most HW's. Except JDS. I think 99 out of 100 is about accurate there.

As far as the "Hate" reference, it's not the only reason to not see Frank as a potential champ, I agree. Frank though, does get a LOT of haters.

Back