Frank Mir >>> Nogueira

Deal with it history

I don't know about that! Nog has by far a better resume and record......same amount of losses but nog has actually lost to pretty much only high level fighters....so has Mir but Mir has also dropped some fights vs lower and mid tier guys. And nog has 3 times as many wins.

And I'm not convinced that Mir is the better fighter either despite the 2 wins. I think that Mir had the circumstances on his side. He showed he was better in certain elements of the game at the right time.....there's not much to go by here.....that's just my opinion. And I'm not biased towards nog cause I'm a big fan and don't like Mir. I think the same thing about wanderlei/rampage despite wand having those 2 wins.

Some think that Mir is the better fighter and that's fine, people can see things differently....I certainly think that Mir does some things better. Even if that's the case, nog has proven that he's the better fighter by beating the better competition.....1 fight doesn't define a career.

Lol can't believe he snapped nogs arm while rocked as shit.

Talk about nogs magic BJJ haha

I predicted that nog would either win a decision or tko Mir in the rematch, but I said that if they hit the ground, Mir will get the sub. Nog has great bjj overall.....but his sub defence is very suspect and he leaves himself wide open.....Mir is a excellent submission artist....prolly best at hw with Barnett

He knocked out one of the greatest stand up fighters of all time in Mirko Cro Cop... enough said.

I'm kidding around.....Mir has has great wins!

Although I do think cro cop is overated as a striker. And this is coming from a big pride fan

I predicted that nog would either win a decision or tko Mir in the rematch, but I said that if they hit the ground, Mir will get the sub. Nog has great bjj overall.....but his sub defence is very suspect and he leaves himself wide open.....Mir is a excellent submission artist....prolly best at hw with Barnett

I'm still shocked at how sloppy the sub attempt from nog was... Still the greatest sub victory in the UFC IMO.

I'm still shocked at how sloppy the sub attempt from nog was... Still the greatest sub victory in the UFC IMO.

The only other one that springs to mind is Silva over Sonnen, purely for the circumstances, not necessarily that Sonnen's BJJ was better than Nog's ha ha

Wow... but everyone knows Nog wasn't healthy in the 1st fight because of a staph infection and 4 surgeries.

In the 2nd fight the ref was bullshit because Nog should have finished Mir if not for that warning and stuff.

They need to have a 3rd fight because Nog has looked really good recently and would totally beat Mir even with a missing toe and tooth decay.
But can he beat gingivitis? Because nobody wants to interview a 9-toed guy with terrible breath.

Besides, that fight would involve 2 guys that need to retire, not take more damage

that's not real talk.

Real talk is that even if Mir is stylistically a bad match up for Nog (ala Hallman to Hughes) and he got his hands on him earlier Nog's record against top comp of wins and losses would still be much better then Mir's. That is a statement of fact and not opinion. That is Real talk.

There is a reason so many consider that Nog would have been the GOAT had Fedor not come along to derail him. You never hear that of Mir as even UFC GOAT let alone overall.

Too much Real Talk to handle.

Damn, that is some real talk. If Fedor wasn't around to kick Nog's ass, Nog would be more highly regarded. If we ignore the occasions that Mir kicked Nog's ass, then we can totally decree that Nog > Mir.

LOL

Who doesn't know this by now?

They fought twice and Mir finished him.

Twice.

Its not even debatable.

Damn, that is some real talk. If Fedor wasn't around to kick Nog's ass, Nog would be more highly regarded. If we ignore the occasions that Mir kicked Nog's ass, then we can totally decree that Nog > Mir.

LOL

so say it. Man up.

Hallman is a better WW than Hughes.

Own your logic.

Or don't and expose yourself.

Who doesn't know this by now?

They fought twice and Mir finished him.

Twice.

Its not even debatable.

then state Hallman the greater WW over Hughes and own your logic and point. Stand by it as if you honestly believe it and are not just trolling.

I was being sarcastic... Cro Cop was done when he got KO'd,

Mir is actually lucky that a few great fighters had degenerated for him to add to his resume,

What about Barnett though, he's been around longer than Mir, what happened in that fight?

Hmmmmm

I agree on those points as well....Barnett just a bad man! He beat Mir where he's worse, I was hoping that fight would hit the grou pond

Depends if you also think overeem's a better fighter than vitor or hallman better than hughes or Weidman better than Silva, etc etc

Wand was considered 'better' than Rampage for a long time, until fight #3 (but then again, Wand was on the slide of his career)... Penn might beat Edgar in fight 3, who knows. It all depends on when the fights happen.

We'll never know if Nog in the form he had in Pride would beat Mir. We just know that towards the end of his career, he was worse than Mir. IMO if you hypothetically matched up the 'best' Nog vs the 'best' Mir, Nog would probably win. That's just my opinion though.

Career wise, Nog has shown more against better, higher level fighters. Nog is Mir's best win, but Nog has has a number of better wins than Mir

Good post.

I like your examples. Each of those could warrant it's own discussion.

Mir and Nog are interesting comparisons. They both have their share of bad injuries that affected their career, and they both have excellent long term credentials.
Head to head, Mir has the edge.
In their primes, I believe Nog would do better against a certain variety of opponents.
Head to head counts, but only in case of a tie in long-term records, but I don't know if Nog's long term record is THAT much better than Mir's. So it could go either way.

Deal with it history

COme on Petey!
here, I won't even waste time on it.
Magnum wrote better than I could ever think of, and I agree 100% with him.

Depends if you also think overeem's a better fighter than vitor or hallman better than hughes or Weidman better than Silva, etc etc

Wand was considered 'better' than Rampage for a long time, until fight #3 (but then again, Wand was on the slide of his career)... Penn might beat Edgar in fight 3, who knows. It all depends on when the fights happen.

We'll never know if Nog in the form he had in Pride would beat Mir. We just know that towards the end of his career, he was worse than Mir. IMO if you hypothetically matched up the 'best' Nog vs the 'best' Mir, Nog would probably win. That's just my opinion though.

Career wise, Nog has shown more against better, higher level fighters. Nog is Mir's best win, but Nog has has a number of better wins than Mir

Last edited:

I regard that as the greatest submission in mma history.....and coming from a huge nog fan. There have been more tricky and spectacular subs......but the history of those 2 at hw and the circumstances surrounding that sub makes it #1 IMO. Those who are long time mma fans understand this. And the fact he broke his arm

Good post.

I like your examples. Each of those could warrant it's own discussion.

Mir and Nog are interesting comparisons. They both have their share of bad injuries that affected their career, and they both have excellent long term credentials.
Head to head, Mir has the edge.
In their primes, I believe Nog would do better against a certain variety of opponents.
Head to head counts, but only in case of a tie in long-term records, but I don't know if Nog's long term record is THAT much better than Mir's. So it could go either way.

In the overall game, Nog is as solid at the HW #2 as Fedor is at number 1.

Frank party's at the top 10 for a long time.

Nog is a staple though.

so say it. Man up.

Hallman is a better WW than Hughes.

Own your logic.

Or don't and expose yourself.

The fights between Hallman and Hughes showed that Hallman > Hughes. He finished him twice. Do the 2013 Broncos > 2013 Seahawks because of the regular season achievements?

then state Hallman the greater WW over Hughes and own your logic and point. Stand by it as if you honestly believe it and are not just trolling.

All time legacies are different thing altogether. I never brought up Mir's legacy in comparison to Nog's; nor did the thread's OP. This is an isolated comparison between two fighters who happen to fight each other twice. Situations like can exist:

Mir > Nog
Nog > Barnett (Poor example because Barnett beat him via split decision in another fight, but the point stands)
Barnett > Mir

Serra's best win was GSP.
Mir's best wins are Nog.

GSP's worst loss is Serra.
Nog's worst losses are Mir.
Sadly it's Nelson now... It used to be Mir though.

The fights between Hallman and Hughes showed that Hallman > Hughes. He finished him twice. Do the 2013 Broncos > 2013 Seahawks because of the regular season achievements?

All time legacies are different thing altogether. I never brought up Mir's legacy in comparison to Nog's; nor did the thread's OP. This is an isolated comparison between two fighters who happen to fight each other twice. Situations like can exist:

Mir > Nog
Nog > Barnett
(Poor example because Barnett beat him via split decision in another fight, but the point stands)
Barnett > Mir

Except... that's unpossible!

Id actually have to agree Mir > Nog.
But using the two wins is kind of a bad example, because thats like saying
Hendo > Shogun, which we all know is not true.
Or Hallman > Hughes.

Does this mean Wand > Rampage? I forgot just how good Wand used to be lmao.

Back