Frank Mir "Cain Velasquez showed that Junior Dos Santos has no ground defense"

well if Mir wants to go off one fight and say JDS has no ground defense than Marcio Cruz showed Mir has no ground defense when they fought

I'm a JDS fan, but how do you really dispute that the Cain fight did expose something of Junior's ground game? You can sit there and laugh at Mir, saying he couldn't find that out or saying that JDS showed that Mir has no stand up defense, but it doesn't take away from what the Cain fight showed us.

Cain will do that to a lot of guys, so I'm not ready to call Junior a fish out of water on the ground. He is supposed to be a black belt in BJJ from the Nogueira brothers, we definitely didn't see a black belt on the ground in that fight. I wouldn't say he has no ground defense, but I will side with Mir on the fact that the Cain fight did show us something about Junior's ground game.

JDS stood up MULTIPLE times with an elite level wrestler on top of him while he was rocked.

That is great ground defense IMO.

I'm guessing the same guys who talk shit on JDS' ground game for getting whooped for 5 rounds are going to criticize Bigfoot for getting owned and finished in one right? Right?

If JDS ground game was exposed so was bigfoots (in worse fashion)

Brock Lesnar showed us that Frank Mir has no ground defense. Junior Dos Santos showed us that Frank Mir has no striking defense. Brian Bowles showed us that Frank Mir has no voice after the Miguel Torres fight.

Get em!

And Mir would have any response to Cain's GNP? Doubt it.

Brock Lesnar showed us that Frank Mir has no ground defense. Junior Dos Santos showed us that Frank Mir has no striking defense. Brian Bowles showed us that Frank Mir has no voice after the Miguel Torres fight.

Not just Brock:

Ian Freeman
Marcio Cruz
and Shane Carwin... all showed that Mir has no ground defense if he gets GnP :cool:.

JDS did really well, considering he took all that beating till the end and did not get TKO.

Mir couldn't get the fight to the ground to exploit this "weakness". As soon as he knew it was a standup fight, he should have just played dead.

Mir should have ruined the fight by flopping every other second like Werdum did against Overeem. Mir should do that next time during the rematch.

He is right, he is also not making excuses he said "i know what i did wrong" without giving further explanations, different to JDS excuses alike explanations, Frank Mir is one of the best HW ever thanks to his ground game, even if people like it or not.

I think Mir should come to his fights at least 10 pounds lighter, his striking tends to be slow and his evasion sucks, but against Cornier he will need all the weight possible, or else we

Solid ground defense.

tumblr_m4ol22LyJf1r81fefo1_400.gif

What a joke.

I don't know how so many people can love Mir so much. He's about as likable as Tito Ortiz.

/thread on first fucking post

Mir being critical of JDS' performance is laughable. This is coming from the guy who lost to Brock fucking Lesnar

The disrespect A-Holes like you show for Brock is disgusting.

Mir couldn't get the fight to the ground to exploit this "weakness". As soon as he knew it was a standup fight, he should have just played dead.

Agreed and Werdum knows the deal. He knows all about begging.

th

JDS was rocked pretty much the whole fight and for someone with no "ground defense" he still was able to get back to his feet against the best wrestler in the ufc?

ok than.

JDS stood up MULTIPLE times with an elite level wrestler on top of him while he was rocked.

That is great ground defense IMO.

I'm guessing the same guys who talk shit on JDS' ground game for getting whooped for 5 rounds are going to criticize Bigfoot for getting owned and finished in one right? Right?

If JDS ground game was exposed so was bigfoots (in worse fashion)

Cain really is not a smothering type of MMA wrestler like Brock was who wants to keep you on the ground, so I really would not make that big of a deal about JDS getting back up because Cain really wasnt "on top of him". Cain rather breaks you down through multipe take downs and in the process causes damage.

Last edited:
I'm a Mir fan but this is just embarrassing. Cain refused to stand at all with JDS?? Cain landed some big shots early, hurt JDS badly, and that pretty much established the course of the remainder of the fight.

Mir must really dislike Cain because this is the second time Cain completely destroyed a fighter who completely destroyed Mir in a title fight.

I love it when the first response is the best response.

Mostly what I see in this thread is a bunch of nobodies expressing their opinions all day long criticizing a fighter who actually knows what he is talking about for voicing his opinion.

Mostly what I see in this thread is a bunch of nobodies expressing their opinions all day long criticizing a fighter who actually knows what he is talking about for voicing his opinion.

Pretty much this.

Its like Mir is not allowed to have some objective criticism of another fighter's ability in one area (which has been questioned by everyone) unless he himself is infinitely better than that fighter in every way possible

Sherdoggers are retarded

Perfection right here, amazing.

Pretty much this.

Its like Mir is not allowed to have some objective criticism of another fighter's ability in one area (which has been questioned by everyone) unless he himself is infinitely better than that fighter in every way possible

Sherdoggers are retarded

Some people (not JDS nuthuggers) are able to see that JDS does not have anything close to a good ground game. I have been saying it for years as well. Mir is totally correct. JDS has always relied upon throwing hands and TD defense. It is not totally surprising that he is terrible on the ground concerning BJJ.

Cain really is not a smothering type of MMA wrestler like Brock was who wants to keep you on the ground, so I really would not make that big of a deal about JDS getting back up because Cain really wasnt "on top of him". Cain rather breaks you down through multipe take downs and in the process causes damage.

I'm a little late in posting, but I just have to disagree with you here.

Cain's style is the very defintion of smothering. He's constantly applying pressure and never relents. No one has given Cain as much trouble as JDS, and Cain would tell you that himself.

Junior's defense on the ground is solid. That's why Cain was unable to finish him during the 5 rounds of fighting, and why he had so much difficulty holding him down. It's awfully hard to finish your opponent on the ground if you can't keep him there.

Back