Frank Bruno v Michael Moorer

please bear in mind the biggest puncher he fought was Herbie Hide, who had him in trouble at one point

he took a lot of shots off fighters who had decent power, and was hurt more than once

that's true, but fighters do get hurt by otherwise average fighters, even Ali said it was normal to be stunned a couple times in any fight with anyone. Especially in that division. If you've seen the second Golota fight, you can see he was durable, he had absolutely nothing left in the tank except heart and desire and his ability to take punishment. He was absolutely shot, weight drained and still, after taking titanic punishment, he only went down once in that fight if I remember correctly. To be honest, that was a sad fight to watch, it was like watching Ali vs. Holmes where one guy is clearly not healthy and takes a beating.

Moorer got careless against Foreman because he wasn't being challenged and didn't feel threatened.. I don't think that's the best example..Moorer was better than that fight made him look.. well..thats not true.. first 6-7 rounds, his footwork was decent.. he was moving around Foreman and Foreman was having issues putting gloves on him..he just got careless.. and you don't do that against somebody that can hit like FOreman... I heard Foreman actually split his mouthpiece into two pieces with that right

Foreman was ancient he was super slow at this point he was a slow starter by nature it wasn't only Moorer getting careless. First of all he got careless in many fights it's in his nature not just a one fight thing so most liekly the same thing would happen vs Bowe at one point.
But also it wasn't just Moorer being lazy but also Foreman starting to adjust his punches and he started to time Moorer who offered little movement and stood infront of him.
Again it was 100 yea rold foreman everyone moved around him for a few rounds it doesn't matter what matters that after like 6 rounds which is barely half of a championship fight he stopped moving and started to get timed.
And Bowe was faster than that version of Foreman and he fought at a higher pace.
Atlas was screaming the shit out of Moorer because he saw Moorer starting to get tagged it isn't like no one warned Moorer what was happening he simply didn't break out of character that's jsut the fighter it was youa re assuming he would suddenly develope a higher fight IQ and more discipline that's like giving Wlad infighting and a chin in fantasy matchups that's just not the fighter he was.
You basically confirmed why Bowe woould probably win with this post

ya, moorer just had it all his way, he started circling right and never stopped until he was kayoed, no one saw that coming, he was dominating and easily beating up on the old man. George also landed enough punches that had no effect that moorer could have made the assumption that he couldn't hurt him, that was a mistake.

Foreman was ancient he was super slow at this point he was a slow starter by nature it wasn't only Moorer getting careless. First of all he got careless in many fights it's in his nature not just a one fight thing so most liekly the same thing would happen vs Bowe at one point.
But also it wasn't just Moorer being lazy but also Foreman starting to adjust his punches and he started to time Moorer who offered little movement and stood infront of him.
Again it was 100 yea rold foreman everyone moved around him for a few rounds it doesn't matter what matters that after like 6 rounds which is barely half of a championship fight he stopped moving and started to get timed.
And Bowe was faster than that version of Foreman and he fought at a higher pace.
Atlas was screaming the shit out of Moorer because he saw Moorer starting to get tagged it isn't like no one warned Moorer what was happening he simply didn't break out of character that's jsut the fighter it was youa re assuming he would suddenly develope a higher fight IQ and more discipline that's like giving Wlad infighting and a chin in fantasy matchups that's just not the fighter he was.
You basically confirmed why Bowe woould probably win with this post
That Foreman would have given a lot of young fighters problems.. and did.. so lets not act like he was bum...

The point was that Moorer got careless because he got bored.. because it was too easy up to that point... but Foreman knew just how to take advantage of that situation..

That Foreman would have given a lot of young fighters problems.. and did.. so lets not act like he was bum...

The point was that Moorer got careless because he got bored.. because it was too easy up to that point... but Foreman knew just how to take advantage of that situation..

Meh, I think comeback Foreman is arguably the most overrated fighter in the history of boxing. He took a lot of pretty bad beatings, its seems that people forget that somewhat.

If he could hit a guy clean, he could win and that generally involved some tomato can with no skills standing in front of him.

just watched the mercer/lewis fight, never saw it, very good heavyweight fight but Lewis won by a couple rounds I think. Mercer started strong and showed a lot of grit but Lennox took it down the stretch.

He was no bum no but he wasn't a fast starter because he was simply too slow physically at that point nor did he have much reflexes left or anything he like Hopkins today fought on experience and timing. Winning the first 6 rounds in a 12 round fight convincingly against him isn't something extraordinary for someone who fights at the level Moorer did.
No he did not get bored because it was "too easy" he lost concentration in almost all of his fights, he had trouble sticking to a gameplan, he was lazy by nature and didn't like to move a lot and he had falling outs with basically all of his trainers because his trainers were frustrated as fuck to see him do those things.
It wasn't a sudden ko loss you could see Foreman landing more and more with each round from round 6 onwards of course Moorer saw what was going on he just either couldn't adjust or didn't want to and Atlas was getting frustrated as hell in each of the rounds after round 6 because he saw it coming as well.
It wasn't prime Moorer but he got knocked out by Tua for the same reason and don't tell me he was bored 30 seconds into the fight vs one of the biggest punchers the HW division has ever seen but he still didn't move his feet and fought lethartic and lazy against someone he was superior technically even at that point of his career and he got knocked out in under a minute for it.
He also managed to get in real trouble vs Cooper and when he got hurt he still didn't (want to?) adjust and still somehow managed to beat Cooper while fighting the worst way he possibly could.
he also got lazy and did nothing but stand infront of the other guy vs Mike WHite after he ahd him in trouble early on decided to take 9 rounds of (while standing infront of the other guy so that the other guy would still have the chance to land a big punch of course) and decided to do something again in the last 30 seconds or so of the fight in which he basically knocked White out who was saved by the bell.
Moorer was super talented but had really bad fight IQ, was lazy in and outside the ring and wouldn't listen to any trainer and to top it off his chin wasn't good enough to get away with those things against elite opponents.

ya, moorer just had it all his way, he started circling right and never stopped until he was kayoed, no one saw that coming, he was dominating and easily beating up on the old man. George also landed enough punches that had no effect that moorer could have made the assumption that he couldn't hurt him, that was a mistake.

It wasn't out of nowhere, George had landed a few stunning one-two's before the knockout, people just weren't paying attention because the fight had been so one-sided up and until that round.

It wasn't out of nowhere, George had landed a few stunning one-two's before the knockout, people just weren't paying attention because the fight had been so one-sided up and until that round.

ya, I know but no one thought George would pull that off, he was landing good punches throughout but just not enough, he picked it up in that last round for whatever reason, maybe he knew he'd lose if it went to a decision. He was measuring Moorer for that last right hand and he did it with a discipline and self control he didn't have when he was young. It was one of my favorite boxing moments. When he went down, I expected him to get up, it was only right before the ten count when I saw he couldn't do it. No one expected that, no one. In fact, George played the dreamer role coming into the fight, does anyone remember his pre-fight reciting of the song "The Impossible Dream"? And yes, Moorer was an underachiever, a real force in the lightheavyweight division who moved up and barely beat an injured Holyfield, in fact, I always thought Holyfield won that fight. But really, how does a guy fighting for a title come in so uninspired, makes no sense.

I remember watching that live and it sure seemed like it came out of nowhere to me. I had 20 bucks on Moorer for some reason. That was a big WTF moment imo.

Back