Frank Bruno v Michael Moorer

Discussion in 'Boxing Discussion' started by treelo, Jan 3, 2015.

1. treelo

treelo //Do something here

Was just sitting here thinking about fights that didnt happen from the mid 90's in the HW division and this one popped into my head

Would Moorer have too much movement and power for the always ambling Bruno, or would Bruno be able to land a big right hand to end Moorers night early?

I think if Bruno landed it would be curtains as Moorer didnt take a shot on the chin too well, and one from Bruno would have hurt him bad

But then i look at the Moorer who boxed rings around Foreman for 10 rounds, and i dont think Bruno would have stood up to the sort of punishment Big George did that night

who you got and why?

2. Cracky

Cracky Fanny Pack

it's a toss up imo.. Moorer was the better all around fighter, but Bruno had range on him and could really swat from behind his jab.. It's a battle of whos chin fails first really

3. mozfonky

mozfonky We oughta be fightin' a bottle of Geritol.

hard to say when both guys had a way of losing their biggest fights. Bruno came along in an era when the brits were not taken seriously at all but when you look back at his career, he did damned good against americans. He was winning every round vs. Bonecrusher smith until he got caught in the last round, he was beating Tim Witherspoon until he got caught and he gave us one of the few Tyson defenses where the guy actually tried to take Mike's head off. Moorer was a smaller heavyweight who brought up some of his power and had good skills. I'd pick Moorer but not without a great fight.

4. PivotPunch

PivotPunch Red Belt

Either bruno via stoppage early on or Moorer via stoppage late. Bruno had a very good jab but Moorer being a southpaw could have made it hard for him to land also Moorer was faster.
    I think Moorer would have won but who knows

5. Cracky

Cracky Fanny Pack

something Moorer had that Bruno really didn't is a second wind.. so I give the edge to him.. I can see him getting hurt in the fight and coming back to knock Bruno out

6. TRYHARD 2001

TRYHARD 2001 Silver Belt

One of my fave HW tilts of all time.

7. ssx

ssx Brown Belt

Both guys could crack and be cracked...I'd favor Moorer, but it would be a coin flip.

8. djacobox372

djacobox372 Gold Belt

Moorer hit harder, but Bruno could take a shot a little better... that much is a toss up.

BUT moorer was a much smarter and better boxer, he'd win most of the time.

9. AznCezi187

AznCezi187 Brown Belt

I agree that it would be a toss up but I if I had to pick it would be Frank.

10. Seano

Seano Hands of bone Yellow Card

I think Moorers HW run had as much to do with being lucky at cathing Holyfield when he did as his skill. I never thought much of Moorer and always thought he was more on the level of guys like Bruno and Tony Tucker. Decent but lucky he never fought guys like Lewis, Tyson or Bowe.

11. cottagecheesefan

cottagecheesefan Gold Belt

I agree. I think Tyson is the worst possible style match up for Moorer. Tommy Gunn, Mercer, Tucker, Bowe, Rudduck, lost to Foreman, lost to Evander in rematch.

His best HW win outside of the first Holyfield fight is Botha.

edit: I might still pick him though. Bruno has no good wins at all.

12. TRYHARD 2001

TRYHARD 2001 Silver Belt

Frank Bruno was by far my fave fighter to watch get KO'd. The guy wouldn't drop to the ground, he'd just eat about a million huge bombs against the ropes until the ref jumped in and you really got to realize just how fucked up he was. He also has the deepest voice of anyone I've ever met. It's comical, really.

13. mozfonky

ya, one of the more interesting characters in a sport that's full of them. I used to be a bit brainwashed by all the talk of british heavyweights being nothing more than lovable losers. But looking back at Frank objectively, he was a huge man, all muscle, an honest bloke who worked hard at his craft and it enabled him to do very well against the fighters of his era. If it weren't for the twin weaknesses of unreliable stamina and chin, he could have been a much stronger force in the division. I still remember his fight with McCall, he got tired at the end but he'd learned from his mistakes in the past and held on for dear life to win the title. He was crying and I was happy for him because he had so many bad breaks. Singular speaking voice, he could do voiceover work with it.

14. Cracky

Cracky Fanny Pack

with bowe's habit of fighting on the inside.. and throwing uppercuts, I think he would have been a sucker for Moorer's right hook

15. Seano

With Moorers weak chin and small size, I think Bowe would have rolled over him.

16. PivotPunch

PivotPunch Red Belt

I think the same.
    Moorer would probably win some rounds vs Bowe possibly even be winning but he would get stopped sooner or later

17. mozfonky

the bowe who showed up for the first holyfield fight would be a brawl for just about anyone you can think of. However, for all the hype, that was one of his few great performances. You cannot count the Ferguson and Dokes fights or the many post-title showings which were plain horrible, Moorer would have had a shot.

18. Cracky

Cracky Fanny Pack

I think the smart money is on Bowe.. but Bowe didnt have the best chin either... and he was vulnerable because of his lead uppercuts on the inside... I think Moorer has a decent chance just because of the style match up

19. Seano

Bowe had a great chin. You're on dope obviously.

20. Seano

I think you guys are insane. Bowe would ruin Moorer if they fought prime for prime. Look at how much trouble Moorer was in against Cooper, I don't even know why that wasn't stopped really, Moorer hanging there lifeless as Cooper unloaded on him. Bowe would have sent him to the hospital there.

Bowe imposed himself on guys, there's no way Moorer could go to war with Bowe the way Holyfield did.

I see no way Moorer wins that fantasy fight.