1. The official Sherdog Store is back! Check it out! » Discuss it here! »

Francis Ngannou: Won't fight in UFC again under current deal after title defense

Discussion in 'UFC Discussion' started by Dbreiden83080, Jan 13, 2022.

1. Nabs Brown Belt

This will work out in his favor big time ONLY if he beats Gane.

2. Last Falconry look what you made me do

anyone who calls Ngannou a diva is a dumb asshole. Shitasses

3. Patman Black Belt

The thing is that MMA needs to attract talent. Otherwise the talent pool will degrade. We don’t hear about actor pay because the stars are well taken care of. Otherwise we’d be left with shitty actors too. That’s where the UFC needs to get to.

icemun and vivi like this.
  4. Ruthless Ryan Blue Belt

I'm sure the UFC knows how the game is played by now. It all depends on crunching numbers of course and valuing a fighter of what they can bring to the table...its not a charity. Sure fighter pay has been creeping up...but now ppv's are too.

Patman likes this.
  5. snackgod Gold Belt

you acting like he make 100 million like conor did.

6. Oddmonster Green Belt

Take out the religous angle, and Dustin and Khabib is on the same level of stardom. I know lotsa muslims who love Khabib, but they have NEVER watched MMA besides Khabib youtube clips.

7. El Fernas Gold Belt

He will fight for how many fights he signed for, period, its either that, or sit his prime years waiting for someone to take his money fight with Fury, then take the UFC to court where he is going to lose even more money, ask Hunt how his thing went.

8. Dirty Frank el ballsbreaker

He's saying he won't sign unless there's a contractual stipulation allowing him to box, which isn't provided for in his present contract, which, in turn, is automatically extended if he wins this championship fight. He's literally contravening the terms of the automatic extension.
    Catch up, keed

9. Ackmed Red Belt

Ok cool so you agree that it's not mainly due to Conor...that's what my earlier post was about.

10. SKITZADACTYL Yellow Card Yellow Card

HAHA YA BRO I LOVE IT STICK IT TO THE BALD PINK GOOF!!

I HATE THE UFC AND DONT WANNA WATCH FRANCIS FIGHT UNDER THE BEST MMA ORG IN THE WORLD!!!

some of you are so boring and pathetic its like you dont even like MMA lmao, fuck off if thats the case?

11. DestinedAussie Brown Belt

As champion Stipe would have likely doubled his pay with PPV points. So he likely was paid significantly more than a million dollars.

12. spinitch Brown Belt

Francis a formidable HW who has good cause to feel under valued but his negotiation approach seems clumsy. Why drag this into public now ? Wait for outcome. Now UFC will be weary how they deal with him and make things tough.

13. chinarice Steel Belt

Francis Ngannou: Won't fight in UFC again under current deal after title defense vs. Ciryl Gane (espn.com)

No,'' Ngannou said, when asked if he would keep fighting under the deal. "I will not fight for $500,000 [or] $600,000 anymore. It's over. I took this fight for personal reasons, because I want to make sure that regardless of [whether] it's fair, I can make my case that I have completed the fights."

14. Oddmonster Green Belt

Well, as I said in my first post, the one you replied to, it is a combination of Conor + religion.

15. GSPSAKU Brown Belt

Ngannou is talking base pay. He did not make $500,000 or $600,000 in his last two fights, that's for sure. The "official" numbers released to the athletic commission was $730,000 against Stipe and that isn't counting his cut from PPV. I think it's absurd someone with a 2010 join date would think Ngannou was making $500K or $600K. Couture was making $250K + $250K in 2008 and that was his purse, not counting backroom bonuses nor PPV cut.

While it would be great for the athletes to get paid more, the boxing model is not the model one should strive for. The top fighters refuse to fight one another, the top fighters make everything and the undercard makes nothing. There is no structure and nothing to build from. Stay away from the boxing model.

lsa likes this.
  16. chinarice Steel Belt

That's the point. That is literally what he is talking about.... He should get more than 500k for a base pay, as the HW champion of the world of a company worth 10 billion.... the biggest organization in the world of the respective sport.

17. GSPSAKU Brown Belt

Funny thing is, why won't Francis tell the world what he is making then? Because $500K sounds alot less than $3-$5million but in his most recent comments, all he says he me can't fight and "make $500,000".

Randy Couture did the same thing when he was champion and wouldn't fight out his contract. Randy lied about how much he was making and it went to court and that's when it became public that the champion's clause exist BUT the champion's clause also gave the champion a cut of the PPV. All the fans that sided with Randy, myself included, found out Randy lied when he said he was only getting $250K. Dana, Lorenzo, and then CFO John Mulkey came out with checks proving Randy made just over $1.4 mil for the Sylvia fight and then Randy refused to do interviews. 4 months later, Randy came back to fight and finish his contract.

lsa likes this.
  18. chinarice Steel Belt

Yes, I understand. "UFC! UFC! UFC!". I so very much understand.

19. JosephTessaro Silver Belt

No. I said what I said, not what you think I meant by what I said.

It's on him for signing the contract, stop the bitching. If he wanted to make Fury money, why didn't he just focus on boxing? Because he isn't a boxer. If he wasn't UFC champ, Fury wouldn't be calling him out.

20. joeson Yellow Card Yellow Card

He signed a contract that he honored. The contract is expired after the next fight. He's negotiating a better contract. How is that "bitching". How do you think negotiations work?