News Francis Ngannou confirms he will become a free agent in December

DaGsXFvUMAAgNNB.jpg

Would be a real shame to see Gane never have a chance to get that W back ... But I suppose this is for the best. The UFC needs a kick in the ass and this would actually be a pretty damaging blow, especially if it sets a precedent . That being said I think the UFC will sign him with a beefy contract . I just don't see them letting the best HW in the world simply get up and walk away with the belt to fight somewhere else .
We shall see though will be interesting .

I cannot say I blame the man. He deserves better than what he has experienced in the UFC. Dana's behaviour today has pretty much sealed my opinion on the situation. I hope Ngannau gets a big pay day...cannot guarantee he will. Man, it would be nice if the UFC ever faced some serious competition.

I'm not sure that fight gave him the negotiating capital he thought it would (barring there being few credible challengers), he will have to crush a few people this year if he wants to head off into new sports. Maybe pulev v Ngannou in triller next year

The more interesting story here: If Ngannou follows through, will this actually change anything with other fighters and the UFC going forward?

I’m gonna say no, the UFC brand is too powerful, they’ve positioned themselves perfectly to always have the leverage.

I hope he goes to bellator and throw the ufc belt in the trash on national television
I don't know that he has enough popular appeal outside people who already follow the sport for a gesture like that to change much in terms of the UFC's position dominating the sport.

From a purely financial perspective for Ngannou, however, yes that would be best case. He holds almost all the cards at this point with the UFC negotiation after the win but Bellator will bend over backwards to give him every boxing match or other non-standard contract stipulation he wants--because even if it doesn't change the sport, it would be their biggest signing ever (in terms of taking an active, dominant champ from the UFC in HW division no less).

The more interesting story here: If Ngannou follows through, will this actually change anything with other fighters and the UFC going forward?

I’m gonna say no, the UFC brand is too powerful, they’ve positioned themselves perfectly to always have the leverage.
Pretty much.
But for Ngannou personally, this is excellent. He will get Conor money from a boxing crossover fight and he'll definitely get that in his next contract if he wants it. He has all the leverage.

Reactions: Bia
Back