Found this vid about Palhares, interesting.

No. If pierce didn't tap and got fucked up, it's on him.

People aren't complaining because it's dangerous, we're complaining because there's multiple times Palhares held on to a dangerous submission.

Exactly, he can't understand that it isn't the fact that the submission it's dangerous, but the fact that him holding on to the submission long after the fighter has tapped and the ref has called the fight.

You mean like sobral?

Like BJ over Pulver? How about strikes like Rampage landing a couple more shots on Wanderlie when the ref was actually holding him? I didn't see any talk of banning them. So it's all about Palharis's past and people were just waiting and watching so they could have something new to bitch and whine about. That's what MMA fandom has become, a major whine-fest.

he's a prick and has a history of doing that shit. + he looks roid'ed up.
glad UFC got rid of him.

Was this actually bad ? he hurt him for sure but didn't hold on longer

the point on this video isn't that he held on it after the referee stopped him.
the problem is that he could have made the other guy tap and release the hold, instead of going all the way through with it making sure it's broken.
Watch it again, you can clearly see the knee pop, and he keeps on pulling to the max.

Like BJ over Pulver? How about strikes like Rampage landing a couple more shots on Wanderlie when the ref was actually holding him? I didn't see any talk of banning them. So it's all about Palharis's past and people were just waiting and watching so they could have something new to bitch and whine about. That's what MMA fandom has become, a major whine-fest.

Whining about MMA fandom being a major whine-fest.

Good stuff, bro

When has it ever been the refs job to pry someones hands off of a submission? When does anyone else need that type of treatment?

I loved his fight last night
I never saw a fighter in such pain
It's the refs job to stop that sub
Not the fighter
Hope he comes back soon

dimwit. i'd like to see you or just about any other human being try to pry the hulk's arms off of some guy's leg when he is refusing to let go.

it's the ref's job to signal the end of the fight and the fighter's job to let the fuck go when that happens.

I don't think he's a bad guy and he's holding on to intentionally hurt his opponent, I just think he's too strong and too good for his own good. The moment the sub is locked in his opponent is tapping whereas usually it takes a second or so to get the tap. The problem is its like he's mechanically executing the sub and won't let go until he's done but his opponents tap much, much faster than they usually would against another fighter. I don't think he's a bad guy and I wouldn't have cut him but after seeing the replay of the Pierce sub I change my mind o it and he definitely deserved to be severely reprimanded. I would've fined him heavily and suspended him but I don't think the cut was too egregious and he does need to learn to let go sooner.

He's also one of the very few guys who commits to those leg lock subs and is expert at them. Other guys make halfhearted attempts but Palharis locks them up extremely fast.

If the submission is so damned dangerous they should ban it's use. I think the UFC doesn't want to be seen as making more rules for the sport because the idea it's like a real fight is what sells it. Instead they ban the one guy who knows how to use these submissions effectively.

If they were really worried about fighter safety they'd be penalizing guys for landing crushing blows on obviously defenseless opponents too. Instead they cheer that. It's hypocritical.

Only, when these blows happens the referee hasn't waved off the fight. Unnecessary? Maybe, illegal? No. Continuing to fight after the ref has said stop is illegal, point blank.

I think people are looking at the wrong moment in the Toquinho/Avellan match. When Toquinho gets the kneebar, he lets go when he should. That's not the issue. The issue is that when they roll out of bounds, the ref says stop, puts his hands on Toquinho, AND THEN Toquinho cranks the heel hook.

Then the ref restarts them in a sunk submission, which is weird, but not Toquinho's fault. Cranking the heel hook during a break IS his fault.

I mean, I didn't know about that other 2 times in the past...

[YT]GP9ypltzRoM[/YT]

#5 is a little excessive ALL others are fine!!!

Also, keep in mind just because the guy taps doesn't mean you let go right away. You wait for the ref to stop you!

Another thing, the fight with Herb Dean as ref, as a ref you need to grab the arm-bar with muddiest stop fight not just put your hands on the submission.

I mean, I didn't know about that other 2 times in the past...

[YT]GP9ypltzRoM[/YT]

Not sure who made the video, but that transition from straight armbar to heel hook was sick.

Most of those were clean stoppages

This has nothing to do about striking after someone is out versus holding a sub too long. It's about doing something sketchy/unsportsmanlike (Hold sub too long, strike after someone is out, groin shots, eye pokes ...) multiple times after being warned/fined/suspended.

I don't see many disputing what Rampage and BJ did was wrong. They would be called out as well if they did it multiple times.

Nothing "new" to bitch about with Palhares, he usually wins or loses in spectacular fashion, so it's only him holding subs too long.

Still cannot believe people are defending his actions. Pierce didn't do the phantom tap. He started tapping and continued to do so. Any other fighter would have let go of the sub after the third or fourth tap

Totally uncool. Glad he's gone.

Used to be a fan.. Enough with this hurting people bull shit. The dude should be ostracized from mma/bjj

Back