Found a thread on Nike Talk about people wearing MMA clothing

Since stores like champs started selling tapout and affliction shirts i have seen tons of posers wearing mma clothes. Don't get me wrong that is ok 4 the fighters cuz they r the same price as online just without shipping , for instance I got a pair of SPRAWL shorts at spencers to have a decent pair of shorts for when i go to my kickboxing class cuz i dont like thai trunks and with b-ball shorts half my ass is showing when im done training.
But when i leave my Kenpo class i see this short chubby kid walking with tapout and sinister clothes they sell at the mall. and i see tons of fat-asses and old ass men wearing the tapout shirts walkin around like they hard, but you can tell they don't even hit wieghts or any of that.
what pisses me off the most is when i see lil punk-asses actin hard and sayin theyre goin 2 do this and that to someone and dont know how to even knock someone out. and the fat cholos lookin at me like they are goin 2 jump me. i was at academy looking at hangin bags and some were starin at me and trying to hit the bag, so i went over and hit another bag and they turned their heads pretty quick once they seen me kill the bag givin an 8th of what i got and not even be tired whereas they gave it all they had , which wasnt much and were winded.
i got to where i wont wear my tapout shirts unless that is all that i have clean cuz i don't want to be looked at as a wannabe by wannabes and too many of them wear them, so it is just like someone said earlier bout the kids wearin pro b-ball shoes and suck it. is more of a trend than anything.

The only 2 pieces of mma type clothing i have are 2 pairs of vale tudo shorts i bought for 35 bucks each bc they save me from doing a lot of extra laundry

I used to think that way too, tbh, but now I don't mind supporting the fight wear companies if I had to pick between, say, Nike or Sprawl. If it makes me look more like a 'fighter' to random folks, then so be it.

i agree 100% :)

Since stores like champs started selling tapout and affliction shirts i have seen tons of posers wearing mma clothes. Don't get me wrong that is ok 4 the fighters cuz they r the same price as online just without shipping , for instance I got a pair of SPRAWL shorts at spencers to have a decent pair of shorts for when i go to my kickboxing class cuz i dont like thai trunks and with b-ball shorts half my ass is showing when im done training.
But when i leave my Kenpo class i see this short chubby kid walking with tapout and sinister clothes they sell at the mall. and i see tons of fat-asses and old ass men wearing the tapout shirts walkin around like they hard, but you can tell they don't even hit wieghts or any of that.
what pisses me off the most is when i see lil punk-asses actin hard and sayin theyre goin 2 do this and that to someone and dont know how to even knock someone out. and the fat cholos lookin at me like they are goin 2 jump me. i was at academy looking at hangin bags and some were starin at me and trying to hit the bag, so i went over and hit another bag and they turned their heads pretty quick once they seen me kill the bag givin an 8th of what i got and not even be tired whereas they gave it all they had , which wasnt much and were winded.
i got to where i wont wear my tapout shirts unless that is all that i have clean cuz i don't want to be looked at as a wannabe by wannabes and too many of them wear them, so it is just like someone said earlier bout the kids wearin pro b-ball shoes and suck it. is more of a trend than anything.

I see where u coming from.But i look at it like this:).More money for mma brands cause of this means more exposure for the sport,and more money for the fighters that are being sponsored.Thats what happens when a sport takes off.Same goes for basketball,hockey and other sports.I know the nature of the sport is different,this one is a fight sport meaning it may bring more badass wannabees to wear the clothes.But in the long run i believe it does more good for the sport than bad(given the first 2 sentences).

It is no different than how it is/was in the Skateboarding sub-culture. When I was a kid, and skated, if you saw anyone wearing skate stuff, they probably skated. With the rise in popularity, of jackass, Bam, and X-games, it got 'sold out' by mall walking posers. I used to be able to wear a Gracie Academy tee, and have no one but the random fighter comment, but now everyone gets on it. In the end, to be popular and make $$$, you need 1000 posers to buy your product.

People that don't train and wear MMA gear are just supporting the sport that we all love...to bring this sport to the levle of the NBA, MLB, etc...we will need as many people as we can get to support MMA. At one point everyone on this foum was once a newbie...I remember when I bought my first fairtex shirt...it was like my prize posession! Sure there is a few guys who go out and by a tapout shirt and give you hard looks when they walk by...but there will always be guys like that. One day that guy might go and start training and will get a serious humbling the first time he steps onto the mat. That is when he will gain a true appreciation for the sport and become "one of us".

As far as Nike goes, they have been sponsoring guys in Japan for a long time now and it is only a matter of time before they jump into the MMA game here in the US. Hopefully we will have our brand blown up enough to competer by that time..haha!

Basically, I know that it irks people who train to see someone who doesn't wearing a MMA shirt and trying to look the part...but everyone has to start some where.

Clothing websites have forums?
And people post on them?

People that don't train and wear MMA gear are just supporting the sport that we all love...to bring this sport to the levle of the NBA, MLB, etc...we will need as many people as we can get to support MMA.

I don't like this idea. Too much popularity means more idiots attempting it, and the difference between some idiot playing basketball and some idiot knowing how to fight, is that the latter is dangerous.

I'm a huge MMA fan. And yes, I am guitly; I ordered 1 tapout shirt before I started any training. I decided to get into muay thai so I ordered 1 or 2 pairs of sprawl shorts and a couple shirts from fairtex and actually a few fighters that I like; punishment athletics, chute boxe.

I didn't feel like I had to try and look cool; I'm just a huge fan and also was curious about sprawl shorts; what was so great about them. I have to say they are extremely well made and I now prefer them over 'nike' shorts when going to class. The nike shorts still make their way on if I'm just going to do some cardio or something.

I use the tapout shirt to wash the car now; as I'm not a huge fan of the brand anymore due to I'm not really training BJJ and too many tools are wearing these shirts. I see fat people in tapout shirts and hats and laugh. Why aren't these guys in shape if they are sweating their balls off in a GI 6 days a week somewhere?

Isn't it cheaper to wear fight gear than Nike shit anyway?

Yeah singce my "fight gear = walmart shorts and t-shirt. I dont even like to wear a belt (black or otherwise).

kickboxing ftw.

I buy all that MMA gear, but I do train and I also buy it because it looks good on me and its different than what most people are wearing. I have had people who don't know shit about MMA compliment me if they saw me with a nice Wandy or Chute Boxe shirt.

I would not wear Full Contact Fighter gear in public though.

NT members talking shit, when they discuss shoes? WTF STFU.

and their are a ton of those fuckers on the game I'm playing online. LPC lost power city. fucking douches.

Back