***Found a rat in my bbq***

wlu29

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
I got these fat juicy strip loin steaks at the market today and was excited to bbq. My appetite was ruined and i'm thinking I have to get a new bbq.

Can't get that mental image out of my head.

Rats are good eating in some parts of the world

Had a squirrel in mine once. Cleaned it out, let it burn for a while, good as new.

I'd be more concerned with the fact that you have rats.

It was a live one....I'm pretty sure it came from the neighbour (they have a couple of tenants living with them)

I got these fat juicy strip loin steaks at the market today and was excited to bbq. My appetite was ruined and i'm thinking I have to get a new bbq.

Can't get that mental image out of my head.

Was it dead? I came back from out of town last week and there was a dead rat in my parking spot. When I pushed it the trash can with a swiffer it's gut busted open. what came pouring out? Yep you guessed it, maggots.

gas or charcoal?

You have 2 options....

1. Man up, clean the grill and enjoy your steaks.
2. Buy a new grill and BBQ tomorrow

Considering rats carry diseases, I'd take option 2 and not risk it.

hmm, if its gas.. was the rat up top on the grill part or down low/underneath where the propane tank is?

at my old house there was a rat family in the backyard but I never found any evidence of them being in the grill. I killed them all via mouse traps and kept with the grilling. and I'm still alive..

for you, if it was up top I would just sanitize the grill and then donate it/sell it, as you will never be able to get the image of the rat on your grill out of your head. if you donate it you can write off the full price of the grill on your taxes. if it was underneath then I wouldn't make such a big deal. just sanitize it and cook steaks tomorrow.

also, invest in a corral/and or cover for your bbq. those are probably what saved mine, even though they were intended to keep the little dogs from peeing on the bbq.

Last edited:
If it was alive I don't think that's as bad finding a dead one. Would just clean it honestly, doesn't seem that big of a deal.

John Spartan would've feasted on ratburger and never even considered buying a new grill.

You have 2 options....

1. Man up, clean the grill and enjoy your steaks.
2. Buy a new grill and BBQ tomorrow

Considering rats carry diseases, I'd take option 2 and not risk it.

Bbq on a Monday? Ehh, clean the grill man, you'll be alright. Should get hot enough to just burn it all away.

Reminds me of when I tried watching masterchef US and some guy's specialty during the auditions was cooking roadkill. The cherry on top is they actually let him in. WTF America.

Had a squirrel in mine once. Cleaned it out, let it burn for a while, good as new.

I'd be more concerned with the fact that you have rats.

I had a garbage can in my backyard and after a heavy rainfall dumped it out and a drowned squirrel fell out. poor bastard.

that story doesn't help you OP, but sounds like a good excuse to go buy a fancy new grill. If you're poor I'd probably take that thing apart and clean it with bleach or something, and rinse it, and then let that thing run as hot as hell for like 15 minutes and burn everything off.

Back