Gold Belt
@Gold
Reaction score
My picks:

FOTY: Condit/Hendricks
SOTY: Chael/Shogun
KOTY: Weidman/Silva

Yours?

I wasn't near as whacked off by Condit/Hendricks as some of you were. I can honestly name a handful of fights that I thought were better or on par, but maybe not as high profile:

-McDonald/Pickett
-Poirier/Koch
-Natal/Tor
-Healy/Miller
-Brown/Mein

JDS/Hunt for KOTY.
Maybe Silva/Stann for FOTY
Can't think of SOTY right now.

FOTY - Wand/Stann
KOTY - JDS/Hunt
SOTY - Barao/McDonald

Last edited:
FOTY is Grice/Bermudez
KOTY I would pick Vitor over Rockhold

KOTY: Travis Browne vs Alistair Overeem or Travis Browne vs Gabriel Gonzaga(no im not a Travis Browne nuthugger I just love these KO's) or JDS vs Hunt or Vitor vs Rockhold

SOTY: Sergio Moraes vs Neil Magny or Erick Silva vs Jason High

FOTY: Cub Swanson vs Dennis Siver or Johny Hendricks vs Carlos Condit or Wanderlei vs Stann

FOTY
Wand vs Stann

KOTY
Belfort over Rockhold

SOTY
Sergio Moraes over Neil Magny (coolest)
or
Pettis over Ben Henderson

SOTY is Pettis Henderson for me. One of the fastest, slickest armlocks I've seen in a champsionship fight, let alone any fight. (not including Fedor)

My picks:

FOTY: Condit/Hendricks
SOTY: Chael/Shogun
KOTY: Weidman/Silva

Yours?

In terms of SOTY, I always saw it as best technique, difficult submissions, ect. Chael didn't do anything extremely spectacular. He doesn't usually do subs, but he got one. Don't see all the hooplah, honestly.

FOTY: Bermudez vs Grice.
KOTY: Cigano vs Hunt.
SOTY: Henderson vs Pettis.

I wasn't near as whacked off by Condit/Hendricks as some of you were. I can honestly name a handful of fights that I thought were better or on par, but maybe not as high profile:

-McDonald/Pickett
-Poirier/Koch
-Natal/Tor
-Healy/Miller
-Brown/Mein

Brown vs Mein was absolutely crazy, just as Bermudez vs Grice was

Hopefully Paul Taylor vs Anthony Njokuani will be a great fight

Also loved Condit vs Kampmann more than Condit vs Hendricks

In terms of SOTY, I always saw it as best technique, difficult submissions, ect. Chael didn't do anything extremely spectacular. He doesn't usually do subs, but he got one. Don't see all the hooplah, honestly.

OTY awards are very subjective. Some value technique and such like you, and others like me value context. There's no real right answer for which is the better method of choosing OTY. Just depends on your personal preference.

But I chose Chael/Shogun for SOTY because before the fight everyone said his only chance of winning was a 5 round wrestlefuck and instead he submitted Shogun, a black belt who all his fans thought was going to submit Chael, faster than anybody's ever beaten Shogun (barring that Coleman arm break)

OTY awards are very subjective. Some value technique and such like you, and others like me value context. There's no real right answer for which is the better method of choosing OTY. Just depends on your personal preference.

But I chose Chael/Shogun for SOTY because before the fight everyone said his only chance of winning was a 5 round wrestlefuck and instead he submitted Shogun, a black belt who all his fans thought was going to submit Chael, faster than anybody's ever beaten Shogun (barring that Coleman arm break)

Ah. Well in terms of context, I say Werdum vs Nog

FOTY: Wanderlei/Stann

KOTY: JDS/Hunt (c'mon, a HW using a spinning heel kick to knockout the strongest chin in MMA? You can't deny that.)

SOTY: Pettis/Bendo.

Honorable mention goes to Rolles Gracie for receiving a contender for KOTY and doing the Ric Flair

FOTY: Cat Zingano/Meisha Tate
SOTY: Jang Yong Kim/Mark Striegl
KOTY: Derrick Mehmen/Rolles Gracie

sub? I like Barao/Macdonald
KO? Gotta go with the great one....Wanderlei over Stann
Fight? Gotta give it the man fighting a different fight right now...Matt Grice/Bermudez

Honorable mention goes to Rolles Gracie for receiving a contender for KOTY and doing the Ric Flair

Classic for years to come......Eilers move on over

Back