Fortnite (incl Battle Royale) thread ***UPDATE: Released on Android***

Played for the first time in a few months and I have no idea how anyone could play blackout and come back to this.
I don't even see the point in comparing games like BLOPS 4 to Fortnite. One is inevitably expressing a preference for genre as much as for the game.

Google (via a Digital Trends article) will tell you H1Z1 was the "first" of this genre, because it was devoted to it, but if that's the definition, technically Fortnite: Battle Royale isn't one of the genre since it's still just a game mode. Besides, I think Minecraft-- which is mentioned in that article-- has the strongest case as the true innovator, and maybe that shouldn't be surprising considering the point of that game is to innovate games themselves using the building blocks of its world just like Legos are used to build plastic castles. PUBG brought it to dominance, while Fortnite piggybacked, but after all the evolution that has taken place within Fortnite, there's no point in comparing the two (if there ever was, which there really wasn't, and I was guilty of taking cheap shots at Epic for what I perceived as them opportunistically capitalizing on a zeitgeist with a half-hearted knockoff aimed at leeching profit from a fad with minimal effort because their zombie horde game was otherwise an underperformer).

Point being that I have come to perceive "Battle Royale" as describing a format, not a game type, just like capture the flag. So I wouldn't see the point in comparing World of Warcraft to Halo, for example, just because both contain a King of the Hill PvP skirmish mode.

Fortnite
is completely unlike the Twitch shooters. Compare Blackout to PUBG. That's the competition.

I don't even see the point in comparing games like BLOPS 4 to Fortnite. One is inevitably expressing a preference for genre as much as for the game.

Google (via a Digital Trends article) will tell you H1Z1 was the "first" of this genre, because it was devoted to it, but if that's the definition, technically Fortnite: Battle Royale isn't one of the genre since it's still just a game mode. Besides, I think Minecraft-- which is mentioned in that article-- has the strongest case as the true innovator, and maybe that shouldn't be surprising considering the point of that game is to innovate games themselves using the building blocks of its world just like Legos are used to build plastic castles. PUBG brought it to dominance, while Fortnite piggybacked, but after all the evolution that has taken place within Fortnite, there's no point in comparing the two (if there ever was, which there really wasn't, and I was guilty of taking cheap shots at Epic for what I perceived as them opportunistically capitalizing on a zeitgeist with a half-hearted knockoff aimed at leeching profit from a fad with minimal effort because their zombie horde game was otherwise an underperformer).

Point being that I have come to perceive "Battle Royale" as describing a format, not a game type, just like capture the flag. So I wouldn't see the point in comparing World of Warcraft to Halo, for example, just because both contain a King of the Hill PvP skirmish mode.

Fortnite
is completely unlike the Twitch shooters. Compare Blackout to PUBG. That's the competition.
Despite the building and the differences in art direction they play very similar, when I am in game a comparison feels right.
PUBG is such a mess I don't even put it in the same discussion.

My problem with fortnite has always been the controls. I constantly feel like I am having to wrestle the game into doing what I want where with blackout the actual running and gunning just feels like it works.

Fortnite is completely unlike the Twitch shooters. Compare Blackout to PUBG. That's the competition.

COD:Blackout, PUBG and FortniteBR are the same genre. Theyre at best examples of differences in consumption among varying age groups. With a game type so simplistic that it easily spans individual skill classes within these age demographics.

Closest example to this was the original rise of Minecraft and COD in the mid to late 2000's. FortniteBR today has bridged those two genre demographics while expanding upon it further with Mobile accessibility.

COD:Blackout, PUBG and FortniteBR are the same genre. Theyre at best examples of differences in consumption among varying age groups. With a game type so simplistic that it easily spans individual skill classes within these age demographics.

Closest example to this was the original rise of Minecraft and COD in the mid to late 2000's. FortniteBR today has bridged those two genre demographics while expanding upon it further with Mobile accessibility.
No, they're not. There's no building in PUBG or Blackout. There isn't any third person mode in Blackout while I've never seen anyone play Fortnite in first person for more than a game as a novelty. Remember when that alone was enough to divide genres?

You literally just argued game genres according to demographics and platform. That's dumbfounding. That doesn't even pretend to conform to the definition of the word. You clearly confuse game mode with game genre.

No, they're not. There's no building in PUBG or Blackout.

Inclusion of an additional game mechanic doesnt introduce a completely new genre.

Believe youre misinterpreting my last paragraph. Im speaking on who's consuming the products, not the products directly.

No, they're not. There's no building in PUBG or Blackout. There isn't any third person mode in Blackout while I've never seen anyone play Fortnite in first person for more than a game as a novelty. Remember when that alone was enough to divide genres?

You literally just argued game genres according to demographics and platform. That's dumbfounding. That doesn't even pretend to conform to the definition of the word. You clearly confuse game mode with game genre.
No snark here but have you played all three? I have fairly extensive time in all three with PUBG the most and fortnite the least and when your in game they are very close.

So yeah we are close mpsring games with differences but it isn't apples to oranges it is much closer.

For my comment questioning why someone would play fortnite it isn't in the game style it is in the fit and finish blackout displays compared to the competition.
I am a giant supporter of Indy gaming and willing to put up with a lot if the game has a hook and fortnite doesn't have a hook for me.

No snark here but have you played all three? I have fairly extensive time in all three with PUBG the most and fortnite the least and when your in game they are very close.

So yeah we are close mpsring games with differences but it isn't apples to oranges it is much closer.

For my comment questioning why someone would play fortnite it isn't in the game style it is in the fit and finish blackout displays compared to the competition.
I am a giant supporter of Indy gaming and willing to put up with a lot if the game has a hook and fortnite doesn't have a hook for me.
I don't play Blackout, but I've watched Doc play it enough (I'll admit not much) to apprehend the base mechanics, and it's basically a PUBG clone, now, though to be fair, PUBG cloned a hell of a lot of COD, then mapped it into the a Battle Royale mode. Do they even have a redeploy mechanic in Blackout? I don't recall spotting one.

Genre isn't about feel. It has to be objectively defined. The common denominator here is the highly similar game mode style.
Inclusion of an additional game mechanic doesnt introduce a completely new genre.

Believe youre misinterpreting my last paragraph. Im speaking on who's consuming the products, not the products directly.
Humbug. Building changes everything. Besides, I already cited player perspective which has historically been a far greater delineation in genre than anything else.

I wouldn't object to Overwatch being called a first person shooter, the same as your beloved CS:GO, but I'd dare the say the addition of CD abilities-- in the vein of MOBAs or WoW-- is sufficient by itself to make it distinct.

Nobody misread your last comment. You're at the "it's for kids" inferiority complex again with Fortnite by your allusion to Minecraft and COD implying those two games were of the same genre with different demographics. You're confusing genre, or you're conflating demographics. It's one or the other. You're always wearing a CS:GO inferiority complex. Destiny when it came out, Blizzard always (Overwatch most recently), PUBG, Fortnite...it's interminably exhausting. Get over it.

Last edited:
Humbug. Building changes everything. Besides, I already cited player perspective which has historically been a far greater delineation in genre than anything else

Fragmentation existing in genre communities from slightly altered game mechanics across titles creating sub-genres died these past few years.

Fragmentation existing in genre communities from slightly altered game mechanics across titles creating sub-genres died these past few years.
See, there you go again conflating genre with consumer markets.

Consumer tendencies don't define genre. Game mode isn't game genre. Genre is genre.

See, there you go again conflating genre with consumer markets.

Customer mentality has changed towards their game explanation. In a game review article we'll only see this. For such content is only designed for people within the gaming space.

The (marshmellow) concert fortnight had a couple days ago was really cute. It was a good idea, and it was well executed. I hope they keep doing things like that moving forward.

Latest update destroyed the game. Better fix.

Fornite is a trash game. Srs.

tenor.gif

{<jordan}

@jei @Lethal

Epic Games response to this mechanic(pun intended):
"The mission of Fortnite is to bring players of all skill levels together to have a fun experience where anyone can win. "

xnlYK9.gif

The damn mechs are more of a nuisance than the sword was. Only way to counter is try to run up on them and self destruct it or carry boogie bombs all the time. Those fucking misskes have range too so mid range sniping the driver is fuck hard.

Epic Games response to this mechanic(pun intended):
"The mission of Fortnite is to bring players of all skill levels together to have a fun experience where anyone can win. "

xnlYK9.gif

Damn, I didn't realize it was so easy. You could have won $3 million dollars at the World Cup.

Instead you hang around Sherdog whining about how those damn kids and their pesky dog are ruining videogames. Goddamn kids playing videogames. Who do they think they are?

Back