(Forrest griffin fight) Anderson vs lhw rumble

It's amazing how many threads question Anderson after so much time has passed. It used to be unthinkable to question whether Anderson could beat X fighter. He was just that good.

I would never bet against a prime Anderson Silva. I think he probably TKOs Rumble in 2 or 3.

Even if the stars align, Rumble will get overzealous when he hurts Silva and will blow his load unsuccessfully pursuing a finish. He'll then get picked apart and choked.
You say that like he often fails to get the finish when he hurts people. If Rumble hurts Andy the fight might be over. Rumble has great killer instinct, look how he swarmed Gus. If he clips Andy theres no reason to think he wouldn't get the finish. Not to mention that Rumble has a big wrestling advantage.

I think you need to watch that fight again. Henderson never lands a clean punch at distance on Anderson's chin. That's not as much of a statement on Dan's inaccuracy as it is on Anderson's ability to make strikers miss when they are at the limits of their range, and he had significant reach on Henderson.

However, history has shown that Anderson does significantly less well against fighters when he does not have that reach/length advantage. It's overlooked by a lot of his fans, but that's the simple fact.

In the actual Forrest/Anderson era, Rumble was still a kid, still fighting at ww, and I think Anderson would have exposed his inexperience; but in 2 or 3 years, as Johnson grew into his body and they were both in the low 200s cageweight, I think it's 50/50 that Johnson catches Silva and knocks him out cleanly. If Johnson hadn't already virtually abandoned his grappling base by that point, the percentage would have shifted into his favor. I do not think Anderson ever possessed the power to knock out Anthony cleanly.

I think you need to watch that fight again. There was a point in Silva-Hendo when Dan loaded up and tagged Silva with his "big right hand" and Silva just ate it and moved forward.

Anderson dies. Rumble wont be coming in off of a ko and on xanax. Rumble also has way way better hand combinations and boxing period. And ungodly power. He would sleep Andy easy.

Last edited:
I think you need to watch that fight again. There was a point in Silva-Hendo when Dan loaded up and tagged Silva with his "big right hand" and Silva just ate it and moved forward.

He rolled with it.

Rumble gets countered to bolivia.

You say that like he often fails to get the finish when he hurts people. If Rumble hurts Andy the fight might be over. Rumble has great killer instinct, look how he swarmed Gus. If he clips Andy theres no reason to think he wouldn't get the finish. Not to mention that Rumble has a big wrestling advantage.
Thing is, we're not talking about a fragile guy in Andy nor a guy that relies on his chin to block punches like Gus.

Anderson is a better striker than any opponent Rumble has ever faced, at the very least defensively. If Rumble decided to just strike, I can't say that I would favor him.

Rumble is good, but he's sloppy and a chronic choker, at least when DC was involved in his two title fights.

Matrix Anderson should get a KO win in a round or two.

Or a twist where we get something similar to the Cote fight.

Thing is, we're not talking about a fragile guy in Andy nor a guy that relies on his chin to block punches like Gus.

Anderson is a better striker than any opponent Rumble has ever faced, at the very least defensively. If Rumble decided to just strike, I can't say that I would favor him.

Rumble is good, but he's sloppy and a chronic choker, at least when DC was involved in his two title fights.
Rumble couldn't get it done against DC, but the style matchup is completely different. DC is a suffocating fighter who really pushes the pace and made a point of testing Rumble's cardio, whereas Andy's style plays much better to Rumble's strengths.

I said in my first comment that Rumble should have a good gameplan. He has a substantial wrestling advantage, and as we've seen, when Andy has to be aware of takedowns he becomes a lot easier to hit (Sonnen nearly dropped him for this reason).
Andy is definitely by no means fragile, but I don't think he can count on his durability in this matchup. Rumble might get sloppy, but he's very fast and throws in combination. It's very easy to see him landing.

"Loaded up and tagged?" Did not happen. Henderson lands one right hand at distance in the entire fight, in the second round. Dan was on his front foot, it does not land cleanly, Anderson is already slipping it to counter. There was never a clean shot that landed flush from Henderson in that fight.

people forget how good of a wrestler Rumble is; he controlled DC before gassing
people don't forget how bad of a wrestler anderoid is

Rumble takes Anderoid with ease and KOs him

Anthony Johnson now would give up and retire at the end of round 1, do a few cycles during rounds 2 and 3, and valiantly return to the sport in the last 2 rounds with 35lbs more muscle to win it.

Thats a tough one, Rumble can one hit anyone, but if Anderson sniped him a good couple counters then Rumble crumbles. Anderson round 2 tko

Others have already said it, but Anderson at that point would have tagged Rumble, hurt him and sent him into D1 Rumble mode. Followed by Rumble mentally folding and losing via RNC.

Watch Anderson/Hendo or Vitor/Rumble for examples.

It's amazing how many threads question Anderson after so much time has passed. It used to be unthinkable to question whether Anderson could beat X fighter. He was just that good.

This.

Prime rumble in a lhw fight?? My moneys on rumble.

I would never bet against a prime Anderson Silva. I think he probably TKOs Rumble in 2 or 3.

Yea maybe ww rumble, lhw rumble absolutely mauls any version of Andy. Lhw rumble is a nightmare match up for someone like Anderson, anderson doesn’t have the wrestling nor the power to hurt lhw rumble let alone a chin to take those shots... this isn’t slow mo Forrest Or scared to death Okami or one hand hendo.

people forget how good of a wrestler Rumble is; he controlled DC before gassing
people don't forget how bad of a wrestler anderoid is

Rumble takes Anderoid with ease and KOs him

It really is amazing how people discount rumble, lhw rumble is another level from any version of Silva

Back