Forrest: Greatest/biggest ever back to back upsets? Page/Shogun

Sokodjou over Arona and Diet Nog was WAY bigger upsets. Also, ridiculously enough in hindsight, Fedor beating Herring and Big Nog were both fairly notable upsets.

On the reverse note, I'm pretty sure Randy Couture's back to back losses to Barnett and Rodriguez were fairly large upsets -- he was 4:1 favourite over Rodriguez iirc.

I'd argue Serra over GSP.

Not even close

The betting lines were something like

Nog -2000
Soko +1600

There's never even been a fight with odds like that since(save for Cormier saturday) let alone that big of an underdog winning

Well I am sticking with the original contention in the thread. I think Forrest beating Shogun and Rampage back-to-back constitutes the biggest two upsets in the UFC. Yeah, put Serra vs. GSP in there too.

Consider the Sherdog rhetoric at the time. "How can a reality tv show winner beat the elite Pride FC MWs?(LHWs)"

Not even close

The betting lines were something like

Nog -2000
Soko +1600

There's never even been a fight with odds like that since(save for Cormier saturday) let alone that big of an underdog winning

I don't understand this betting odds system? Can you convert that into odds in the simple odds against form? (e.g. 2:1)

Well I am sticking with the original contention in the thread. I think Forrest beating Shogun and Rampage back-to-back constitutes the biggest two upsets in the UFC. Yeah, put Serra vs. GSP in there too.

Consider the Sherdog rhetoric at the time. "How can a reality tv show winner beat the elite Pride FC MWs?(LHWs)"

Well to be fair Forrest was fortunate

Shogun wasn't in shape to fight

And after watching it probably 7 or 8 times I still think rampage won 3 rounds

I don't understand this betting odds system? Can you convert that into odds in the simple odds against form? (e.g. 2:1)

16:1.

Doesn't come close to Douglas' 42:1 over Tyson, but still ridiculous odds.

Last edited:
lol @ soko ... glad to see pride fanboys still exist, either that or fightfinder is to blame.

just did a quick google search, betting odds were around:

shogun (-350) vs forrest (+280)
rampage (-275) vs forrest (+215)

nogueira (-2500) vs soko (+1250) !!
arona (-330) vs soko (+260)

soko got this.

just did a quick google search, betting odds were around:

shogun (-350) vs forrest (+280)
rampage (-275) vs forrest (+215)

nogueira (-2500) vs soko (+1250) !!
arona (-330) vs soko (+260)

soko got this.

Where'd you get those from?

Cuz the line I looked up yesterday was nog -2001 soko +1600

Soko was a big upset but you have to remember that the odds were based on that he was an unknown.

When a fighter you know makes upsets it means more because then you had a proper opinion about that fighter. Forrest's upsets were both against the #1 LHW in the world (Rampage took that spot after Shogun) so that's bigger than Sokoudjou in my book (which is in no way diminishing the latter).

I agree with TS Griffin was the biggest upset I can think of

I think next comes already mentioned Conzaga vs CC

I think it was clear Page as the underdog...or would lose at least.

Wow, just checked out of curiosity and Forrest was around +250 for each of those fights (slightly bigger dog against Shogun). Sokoudjou was +1600 against Lil Nog.

I think Sokoudjou was/still is ( ? ) the biggest betting underdog to hit in MMA. I could be wrong though.

Randy against Big Tim/Gonzaga were two pretty big upsets at the time. Timmeh was defending his belt for the third or so time against a much smaller, older, retired Randy and Gonzaga earned his shot by KOing Crocop (who was a big name then).

He destroyed them both Randidly.

I thought randy was the favorite for both

I honestly disagree with the people saying Sokoudjou. Granted he made a career out of knocking out two fighters back to back that he shouldn't have, I have to give it to Forrest. He beat the better competition when no one gave him a chance. Was Sokou the bigger underdog as far as betting goes? Sure. Doesn't make his victories more impressive than Forrest's, though. The two guys he beat were both guys who beat Sokoudjou's competition. Shogun had beaten Lil Nog while Rampage had beaten Arona both earlier in their careers. If anyone disagrees, I can pefectly understand why, though.

Edit: Not to mention that Shogun had beaten both.

Yeah, but Forrest beat the #1 LHW in the world and then the UFC Champion back to back.

With those two wins Forrest totally rewrote the future of LHW. Shogun didn't fight Rampage for the title, Forest did TUF (as he was definately marketable too), Rampage lost and his career went downhill. This gave the championship to Rashad, who although great (and imo #2/3 LHW) may have had trouble with Shogun/Rampage at the time.

An underdog for a #1 fight/champ fight is big especially if it's an upset.

Soko upsets were also huge (a virtual unknown inbetween losses to Machida and an unknown Glover), not sure about the impact though. They were punchers chance victories that created hype more than anything. Nog went on a 2 year unbeaten streak with about 7/8 fights. Arona said he had Dengue fever before, but he retired pretty soon after.

I like the Frankie comment...

Last edited:
lol @ soko ... glad to see pride fanboys still exist, either that or fightfinder is to blame.

WTF?

What does being a fanboy have to do with anything?

We are dealing in facts here. Soko's upsets were much bigger and more surprising than Forrest's. Not that you would know because you probably weren't into MMA yet.

Forrest's were unlikely and amazing as well. Nobody is denying that. But Soko was an unknown beating 2 top LHWs in a row in devastating fashion in barely over 2 minutes combined.

Back