Former WEC fighters aren't making any money in the UFC

Chael Sonnen.

Thread derailed.

So a little controversy was created the other day when Alvarez's UFC offer was leaked online, and Ben Henderson took to Twitter to voice his displeasure over the fact that Alvarez would be making far more than him. This has been discussed in this thread right here: http://www.sherdog.net/forums/f2/ben-henderson-pissed-ufcs-offer-alvarez-2351605/

Here are the "big" former WEC fighters pay:

Ben: 39k/39k
Faber: 32k/32k
Cerrone: 30k/30k
Aldo: 24k/24k
Cruz: 20k/20k
Pettis: 10k/10k

These numbers are absurd considering 3 of those fighters are champs, and the other 3 are always at least co-main event or high up on the main card. Now McCall recently said that the UFC "sponsors" whoever are main event and pays those fighters main event sponsorship money, plus there is the possibility of receiving back room bonuses + KOTN,SOTN,FOTN so a fighter such as Cerrone can turn a reported 30k/30k into a reported 183k (plus all the unreported money) so the possibility to make money is there, but these guys base pay really needs to be increased. Also, of those fighters, I'd say only Faber + Aldo would be receiving PPV cuts, so these big fighters need to work very hard to make a lot of money. With what former WEC fighters are making in the UFC, I'd say it doesn't look too promising for former Strikeforce fighters coming over in the future as well.

Hmm.. Ben made a couple K less than I made in a whole year. I think we should start some sort of funding for these poor, needy people.

I just don't understand why athletes need to be millionaires. I get that the UFC as a company is probably a billion dollar company but that doesn't mean the athletes that work for them need to be paid ungodly amounts. I work for a million dollar company but I don't make hundreds of thousands a year. They are all paid more then I'll ever make and they get too many perks to count. I think they are fine.

I just don't understand why athletes need to be millionaires. I get that the UFC as a company is probably a billion dollar company but that doesn't mean the athletes that work for them need to be paid ungodly amounts. I work for a million dollar company but I don't make hundreds of thousands a year. They are all paid more then I'll ever make and they get too many perks to count. I think they are fine.

So you think Don King should earn $29,950,000 per fight while Mike Tyson receives $50k? :icon_neut

cause he dosnt finish fights
GSP.jpg

So you think Don King should earn $29,950,000 per fight while Mike Tyson receives $50k? :icon_neut

Idk. A boss is supposed to make more. And boxing I don't feel can be compared to other sports for so many reasons but mainly because the boxers aren't owned by a company the boxers are sold more or less to the highest bidder per fight to the best of my knowledge.

I find it pretty hilarious that humble, christian, "strength through christ!" Ben is getting into a furor over something as petty as money in another man's pocket.

these guys make way more then that.

I said their base pay. No mention of locker room bonuses, main event money, sponsorship, of of the night bonuses. I acknowledge that Cerrone turned 30k/30k into $183,000, but I'm saying their base pay is shit. And the only ones of them that I can think would be receiving PPV shares are Faber and Aldo. So just their base pay is shit is what I'm arguing

Back