Former WEC fighters aren't making any money in the UFC

markg171

Gold Belt
@Gold
Reaction score
So a little controversy was created the other day when Alvarez's UFC offer was leaked online, and Ben Henderson took to Twitter to voice his displeasure over the fact that Alvarez would be making far more than him. This has been discussed in this thread right here: http://www.sherdog.net/forums/f2/ben-henderson-pissed-ufcs-offer-alvarez-2351605/

Here are the "big" former WEC fighters pay:

Ben: 39k/39k
Faber: 32k/32k
Cerrone: 30k/30k
Aldo: 24k/24k
Cruz: 20k/20k
Pettis: 10k/10k

These numbers are absurd considering 3 of those fighters are champs, and the other 3 are always at least co-main event or high up on the main card. Now McCall recently said that the UFC "sponsors" whoever are main event and pays those fighters main event sponsorship money, plus there is the possibility of receiving back room bonuses + KOTN,SOTN,FOTN so a fighter such as Cerrone can turn a reported 30k/30k into a reported 183k (plus all the unreported money) so the possibility to make money is there, but these guys base pay really needs to be increased. Also, of those fighters, I'd say only Faber + Aldo would be receiving PPV cuts, so these big fighters need to work very hard to make a lot of money. With what former WEC fighters are making in the UFC, I'd say it doesn't look too promising for former Strikeforce fighters coming over in the future as well.

Last edited:
Ben's the highest paid WEC Fighter then huh..

Im surprised with Faber tho.. didnt he make more when he was champ?

i'm a HUUGGGGEEEEE Benson Nuthugger, but he obviously gets Paid wayyy more then 39k....

It's hard to feel bad for Cruz while he's driving around in a 100k car. He should feel bad for me.

So a little controversy was created the other day when Alvarez's UFC offer was leaked online, and Ben Henderson took to Twitter to voice his displeasure over the fact that Alvarez would be making far more than him. This has been discussed in this thread right here: http://www.sherdog.net/forums/f2/ben-henderson-pissed-ufcs-offer-alvarez-2351605/

Here are the "big" former WEC fighters pay:

Ben: 39k/39k
Faber: 32k/32k
Cerrone: 30k/30k
Aldo: 24k/24k
Cruz: 20k/20k

These numbers are absurd considering 3 of those fighters are champs, and the other 2 are always at least co-main event. Now McCall recently said that the UFC "sponsors" whoever are main event and pays those fighters main event sponsorship money, plus there is the possibility of receiving back room bonuses + KOTN,SOTN,FOTN so a fighter such as Cerrone can turn a reported 30k/30k into a reported 183k (plus all the unreported money) so the possibility to make money is there, but these guys base pay really needs to be increased. Also, of those fighters, I'd say only Faber + Aldo would be receiving PPV cuts, so these big fighters need to work very hard to make a lot of money. With what former WEC fighters are making in the UFC, I'd say it doesn't look too promising for former Strikeforce fighters coming over in the future as well.

I can't believe Faber makes more than Cruz or Aldo, but maybe that's because I despise him and his face.

Eh, that's the deal though. He can draw better than they can.

Pettis only makes 10k to show and 10k to win, if any of them should be complaining its him.

It's hard to feel bad for Cruz while he's driving around in a 100k car. He should feel bad for me.

Really? Didn't he go around saying he drives a Honda Civic and is always going to drive one no matter how big he gets? If so that's embarassing

The difference is that Eddie has options.
It's business.

Pettis only makes 10k to show and 10k to win, if any of them should be complaining its him.

Completely forgot to include Pettis as I haven't seen him fight in awhile. I'll add him in, his pay is especially shit as he was supposed to immediately get a title shot upon coming to the UFC. Imagine a champ making 10k/10k... Sherdog would explode :D

Really? Didn't he go around saying he drives a Honda Civic and is always going to drive one no matter how big he gets? If so that's embarassing
Did you just get Cruz mixed up with Diaz? That's a first.

I seen an interview and he had a siick Nissan Skyline so im sure he got rid of his civic

I would be interested to know if any of them have had contract extensions since coming over to the UFC? If not, then I'm not really surprised by these numbers. I don't think many would object to the initial perception that the WEC held tier-2 talent and I don't think many people expected them to have the kind of success they are currently having, so their initial contracts were set accordingly.

The UFC is trying to recruit Eddie, so the deal has got to be sweet. If I remember correctly, the WEC guys were just kinda brought over, it's not as if they had Bellator trying to go after them. The UFC had the opportunity to offer them whatever they wanted without fear that another organization might try and snag them.

I quickly looked up old WEC payouts and Henderson got $15K to show plus an $11K win bonus for his second fight with Cerrone. He's now getting double that to show, how is this not a pretty sweet deal? I would be surprised if the money for those guys doesn't increase after their next contract extension.

Last edited:
Remember the days of Evan Tanner. That man fought to be a fighter. Would not take sponsorships to prove he could achieve greatness on his own and he did. Never once bitched about money. Not the best business man though.

Back