Former UFC title contender Thiago Alves signs with Bare Knuckle Fighting Championships

TCE

"That's fucking illegal"
Pink Belt
Reaction score
Former UFC title contender Thiago Alves has a new fighting home after signing a deal to join the roster at Bare Knuckle Fighting Championships.

BKFC president David Feldman confirmed the news to MMA Fighting on Wednesday.

“I am very excited to have Thiago on the BKFC roster,” Feldman said. “He is very experienced and always has an entertaining fight. He will make his debut in April or May.

“We really expect big things from him. He’s a great fighter and a great person.”

Alves entered free agency following the end of his most recent contract with the UFC, which is where he spent the majority of his career.

Over the course of 14 years, Alves faced a litany of top contenders on the UFC roster including wins over UFC Hall of Famer Matt Hughes, Josh Koscheck, Chris Lytle, Patrick Cote and Jordan Mein.

He made his way to a title shot back in 2009 when he faced Georges St-Pierre at UFC 200 but came up short in his bid to become champion, losing a unanimous decision after five rounds.

His last appearance in the Octagon took place last December when he fell to Tim Means by submission and then afterwards said he was going to test the free-agent market before deciding where he would fight next.
https://www.mmafighting.com/2020/1/...igns-with-bare-knuckle-fighting-championships

Nice.... He'll be a stud over there.

Pre USADA alves was a beast
hqdefault.jpg

Alves was awesome back in the day. Then he was wrestlefucked by GSP and Fitch and he was never the same.

Dude was in the UFC for 15 years though. Respect.

Oh boy. I’m really not loving this trend

Alves was awesome back in the day. Then he was wrestlefucked by GSP and Fitch and he was never the same.

Dude was in the UFC for 15 years though. Respect.

I had the pleasure of seeing him smash Matt Hughes in person at UFC 85.

This is just sad. Everytime a former UFC fighter signs with BKF I cringe

What's wrong with post-prime MMA fighters trying out bare knuckle?
They are mostly past their prime, and have suffered a careers worth of damage, then join a fight org where they won’t get paid much and will take a shit ton of damage. It just sucks to see fighters you’ve followed and cared about go down this path

I really dont understand this choice. Alves has always been in my top 5 favourite fighters but this is just weird.

He has a successful business, opening new gym, coaching at ATT, and has said he wants to get into the police force. He's always had boxing problems especially when fighting taller people but his kicks have always been the equalizer. Now he signs with BKFC instead of Bellator or PFL where he cant use his best weapons.

Disappointing end to an amazing career.

This is just sad. Everytime a former UFC fighter signs with BKF I cringe

There's something to be said too about how many cuts you get fighting in BKFC that makes it even worse.

I'm just waiting for them to sign BJ Penn, which will be a day of mourning :(

He looked great against Means, just ended up getting caught.
Hopefully he finds success with this.

Back