Former top Vatican official says pope should resign over abuse crisis

The Church needs to reform with vigor. But here's something you shouldn't miss: it always has needed to do so. Francis didn't invent this situation-- or any other situation involving clerical abuse, of which there have been myriad over the years.

And I don't believe the narrative that the abuses were caused by homosexual orientation in the clergy. I do not deny that there were abuses-- horrible abuses-- and that many were of a homosexual nature. But I think you miss the point that has been made several times in this thread: there is no evidence that priests, overall, committed statistically more abuse than the general population. There is evidence (not even evidence... it is widely known) that a higher percentage of Catholic priests are homosexual in orientation that the general population, but the vast majority of these priests did not abuse anyone-- and presumably maintained their vows of celibacy just as often as heterosexual priests.

I believe that the abuses that have been recently uncovered, and abuses like it, have been part of church history for centuries. Look at the situation in Ireland where thousands of infants were forcibly removed from unwed mothers by convent schools and their mothers were told it would be a grave mortal sin to try to contact their children. That is a scandal every bit as outrageous to the people of Ireland as an other, and it has absolutely nothing to do with homosexuality.

I understand the desire for purification. But no human organization is ever going to be truly pure-- if such a thing were possible we would have no need for a Savior.

"Woe to the world because of scandals. For it must needs be that scandals come: but nevertheless woe to that man by whom the scandal cometh." Mt 18:7

There is no excuse for any sort of institutional cover up. None. If it turns out that Francis is unwilling to be open and forthcoming in the wake of scandals, I would support his decision to resign (if it comes to that).

In terms of his ecclesiastical work on "irregular situations," we are not going to see eye to eye. I understand your point. I have also know children driven from the Church and declared bastards because their parents divorced... To take a teenager, Catholic from birth, whose parents have divorced (due to a mother fleeing physical abuse, btw), declare her a bastard, and tell her she is unwelcome to the communion rail until she has retaken all her sacraments is abuse. This is precisely the type of situation Francis refers to when he says pastors must not be too "pharisaical." And don't tell me it's not a real thing, because I've seen it, and I've seen vulnerable, wounded people driven from the Church when they needed Her most. That is also abuse.

Why all the strawmen? I never said Francis invented it. Quite the contrary if you read my post. I also never said that homosexual orientation caused the abuses (although many of the convicted and accused pedophiles were active homsexuals and were protected by others homosexuals). I never said that the homosexuals were in the majority of the priesthood. I also never said the priesthood had a higher rate of pedophiles than other professions. I've been on the record to say public school teachers are a bigger threat than priests. Finally I never said this was a new phenomenon.

It appears to me that while being a orthodox Catholic you have these soft spots for those who seem by all accounts "good people" but wallow in sin. Active homsexuals and adulterers. While I have compassion for them. Same sex attraction I'm sure is a terrible cross to bear. As is being divorced. But I have to go with the dogmatic teachings of the church. If the marriage can't be nullified any subsequent marriage is false. They are in a state of mortal sin. Also active homosexual relations is also sinful. But compassion doesn't mean allowing them to sin and continue that path. You don't take care of the sick by giving them poison. By coddling the sinful that is what you are doing.

I also have never ever heard of a child born of a legitimate marriage being called a bastard that is BS. It not even within cannon law.

Finally I'm glad you would see him face justice and resign if guilty. But why won't you actually respond to my documented facts. He clearly has favored homosexuals and heterodox priests.

@luckyshot why are you so quick to discount the statements of Archbishop vigano? You do realize he made these statements in front of a United States Court official so that they would be legal documents. his accusations are not merely quotes from an interview but actual legal statements. These statements have been corroborated by other high-level Vatican officials.

@luckyshot why are you so quick to discount the statements of Archbishop vigano? You do realize he made these statements in front of a United States Court official so that they would be legal documents. his accusations are not merely quotes from an interview but actual legal statements. These statements have been corroborated by other high-level Vatican officials.
Per NPR:
Viganò belongs to a conservative faction that blames clerical sex abuse on the presence of homosexuality in the church and believes Pope Francis is too lenient on gay people.

Seventy-seven-year-old Viganò, has previously been controversial.

As NPR reported in 2016, Viganò came under fire for setting up the pope's meeting with controversial Kentucky county clerk Kim Davis in the fall of 2015. Weeks before the meeting, Davis had been put in jail over her refusal to issue marriage licenses to same-sex couples.

According to the New York Times, this is part of the reason why he was removed from his position in the United States by Francis in 2016 and sent back to Rome.
https://www.npr.org/2018/08/26/6420...-long-knew-about-abuse-calls-on-him-to-resign

I'm not saying Vigano is a bad priest or a bad man, but he is an ideological conservative who has had an axe to grind with Francis since the beginning of his papacy. This doesn't automatically make his accusations false, but it does make me take them with several grains of salt.

As far as the brazen insubordination of calling for the Pope's resignation rather than for the situation to be remedied-- only God can judge him, but priests have been excommunicated for less. As a Catholic-- lay or ordained-- you don't just get to call on the Pope to resign, even if you think he has made grave mistakes. That is promoting disobedience, fractiousness, non-orthodoxy, and, ultimately, schism.

Last edited:
Per NPR:

https://www.npr.org/2018/08/26/6420...-long-knew-about-abuse-calls-on-him-to-resign

I'm not saying Vigano is a bad priest or a bad man, but he is an ideological conservative who has had an axe to grind with Francis since the beginning of his papacy. This doesn't automatically make his accusations false, but it does make me take them with several grains of salt.

As far as the brazen insubordination of calling for the Pope's resignation rather than for the situation to be remedied-- only God can judge him, but priests have been excommunicated for less. As a Catholic-- lay or ordained-- you don't just get to call on the Pope to resign, even if you think he has made grave mistakes. That is promoting disobedience, fractiousness, non-orthodoxy, and, ultimately, schism.

Quit digging that hole your in. You clearly stated earlier that you didn't believe in conservative or liberal Catholics. Now he's a conservative with an axe to grind. No he's an Orthodox Catholic bishop who made a binding legal statement. Which has now been corroborated by another official.

Why even try to fight against this anymore? You keep putting up strawmen and try to change the substance of the discussion. You still haven't provided a reason for Francis allowing Daneels into his inner circle or all the other questionable relationships he has with scandalous clergy. What about Cardinal Mahoney? Your aware he's been under cannonical punishment right. Maybe you should look into how he's ignored these punishments under Francis with no reprimand. But I guess that's just conservative conspiracy too.

You're coming off as an enabler trying to hide behind obedience. We all will answer to Christ I would rather side him and the eternal unchanging teachings of the Church. If that includes calling on a Pope to resign then so be it. The Church goes on (and probably for the better) without him

@luckyshot yes maybe that's what we should all do. Shut our mouths and say nothing in the face mounting evidence for the sake of obedience. Sounds just like what the perverts told their victims. The seminarians were told be obedient and don't say anything because it causes scandal. They told the poor children that the priest was right and to obey and not say a word. The more I listen to you I can see why this goes on at such levels.

This thread is fucking terrible. There are studies showing that celibates do not commit child sexual abuse at higher rates than heterosexuals and that gay men don't either. On top of that there are studies posted in this exact thread that show the Catholic Church does not have rates of pedophilia higher than other groups. Yet the same ignorant talking points keep getting spit out.

There are really two tragedies here and neither of them are specific to the Catholic Church. One- there is pedophilia in the world and it goes on way more than people think and we, the parents, are too fucking stupid to be careful about it. Two- pedophilia is so shameful and disgraceful that organizations cover it up.

Here though the Catholic Church ought to rightly be judged way more harshly than other groups. Not because they cover it up more but because the nature of the organization makes cover up massively more hypocritical and wrong. James 3-1 Not many of you should become teachers, my fellow believers, because you know that we who teach will be judged more strictly.

Because of this I say burn them down legally and socially as harshly as you like (as long as what you say it true and not bullshit) and keep doing it until the entire problem is eradicated, until the Church is by far a safer place than the boy scouts, girl scouts etc....

We don't know that. To this day, new cases are coming to light. So using the currently known numbers, Catholic priests are actually less likely to molest a child than the general population. There's clearly something wrong with that statistic, since we can be more certain about the incidence of child molestation among the general population due to vastly more data, than we are about the incidence among priests, because - as we've seen - that abuse is frequently covered up and only is made public many years after it has occurred. The same article from psychology today also says that virtually all the abuse happened in the 60s and 70s, once again, the abuse we know about. At this point, there's more than enough reason to warrant an independent inquiry in which the Vatican is forced to give full access to its records.

how about just turn over those fucking pedo asshole priests to the authorities and quit covering shit up.

We don't know that. To this day, new cases are coming to light. So using the currently known numbers, Catholic priests are actually less likely to molest a child than the general population. There's clearly something wrong with that statistic, since we can be more certain about the incidence of child molestation among the general population due to vastly more data, than we are about the incidence among priests, because - as we've seen - that abuse is frequently covered up and only is made public many years after it has occurred. The same article from psychology today also says that virtually all the abuse happened in the 60s and 70s, once again, the abuse we know about. At this point, there's more than enough reason to warrant an independent inquiry in which the Vatican is forced to give full access to its records.

I agree -- the Vatican ought to be forced to cooperate in every way.possible.

Data driven are the watch words though. Right now according to all the data we have the problem is not bigger than anywhere else.

We have to go by the data.

I agree -- the Vatican ought to be forced to cooperate in every way.possible.

Data driven are the watch words though. Right now according to all the data we have the problem is not bigger than anywhere else.

We have to go by the data.

I feel the problem with breaking this crisis down to a numbers comparison draws away from the fact that there is a huge problem with sexual morality with leaders of the Church. This problem is glossed over and hidden because it's not politically correct to point fingers at homosexuals for their wrong doings.

The fact is and even Abp Vigano stated the problem is more with these homosexuals hunting and grooming young males all the way from Jr high age to seminary. Most cases aren't true pedophilia. Some cases yes, and in those cases the homosexual cabal would close ranks and protect. These vile men took a job where they wouldn't be questioned took control of seminaries, promoted from within their club, and bullied everyone else. These are facts.

McCarrick was having gay sex parties at beach houses where they would assault young seminarians. This is all documented. Is it no wonder all of his protoge's ( Tobin, Cupich, Wuerl) are scrambling for cover and pointing the fingers back at their accuser. They are next up you can't hide this stuff.

And as for Pope Francis, I encourage everyone to look at his inner circle of people the most vile being Dannels and Maradiaga. These men are guilty at the very least of covering up for these predators! We need to keep at these men to find the truth and get them out!

I feel the problem with breaking this crisis down to a numbers comparison draws away from the fact that there is a huge problem with sexual morality with leaders of the Church. This problem is glossed over and hidden because it's not politically correct to point fingers at homosexuals for their wrong doings.

The fact is and even Abp Vigano stated the problem is more with these homosexuals hunting and grooming young males all the way from Jr high age to seminary. Most cases aren't true pedophilia. Some cases yes, and in those cases the homosexual cabal would close ranks and protect. These vile men took a job where they wouldn't be questioned took control of seminaries, promoted from within their club, and bullied everyone else. These are facts.

McCarrick was having gay sex parties at beach houses where they would assault young seminarians. This is all documented. Is it no wonder all of his protoge's ( Tobin, Cupich, Wuerl) are scrambling for cover and pointing the fingers back at their accuser. They are next up you can't hide this stuff.

And as for Pope Francis, I encourage everyone to look at his inner circle of people the most vile being Dannels and Maradiaga. These men are guilty at the very least of covering up for these predators! We need to keep at these men to find the truth and get them out!

I cant say anything about Pope Francis's inner circle of people but the rest of your post I am in total agreement with. Like I said- the catholic Church needs to pay dearly for covering this up.

"Former top Vatican official says pope should resign over abuse crisis."
So, what good would that do? The Pope would just be replaced by another Pope. Is that going to solve the problem?
I think the Catholic Church needs to come up with some sort of 'reporting' system for the parishioners and an Inspector General (IG) type body to investigate sex abuse cases.
And the only reason most want to displace this Pope is because he isn't "old school" enough for them. They don't like his humanitarian outreach and attempts to modernize Catholic politics.

And the only reason most want to displace this Pope is because he isn't "old school" enough for them. They don't like his humanitarian outreach and attempts to modernize Catholic politics.

Another sad statement about the Catholic Church IMO. Playing politics with the present pope while using the pedophilia scandal as leverage. Sickening really.

Can you imagine seeing something this horrible as anything other than a deep need for reflection and change?

In my opinion it would be good if the whole Catholic Church dismantled. The theology is so far off.

Worship of Mary, and this belief that they need to do works or penance for forgiveness of sins. It's heretical teaching and leads people to believe they are saved by their own works. Not saved by grace, through faith in Christ alone.

The unbiblical requirement of celebacy has recruited priests with "other attractions" besides women that has led to the homosexual and pedo problem that's rampant in the church.

The Catholic church is the perfect example of how money and power can corrupt.

Really it's not the fact he's surrounded by a homosexual cabal that has committed and hid the abuse of children and young men for the last few decades? I find it funny no one has even acknowledged the facts and names I have presented. You are judged by the company you keep and his is horrible.

What's sad is that you, lucky shot, and apparently Franklin's tower see everything through a political spectrum instead of what's right or wrong.

Would you say the reverse? That Benedict was forced out because hes too old school? Did a liberal faction force him out using scandal to do so? And if so was it wrong even if it brought light to a problem in the church. My answer is no because I'm not a hypocrite who sees everything through my political ideology.

Quite frankly if your not a Catholic the politics shouldn't even involve you. On the other hand all mankind should take interest in any world wide institution that has a billion members being run by a secretive group who encourages sexual crimes and deviancy. While using the institutions power and money to do so.

I would guess the entire church leadership is as guilty of this as the Pope.

Another sad statement about the Catholic Church IMO. Playing politics with the present pope while using the pedophilia scandal as leverage. Sickening really.

Can you imagine seeing something this horrible as anything other than a deep need for reflection and change?

No one is playing politics, these accusations are credible and have been substantiated. Even if it was political if it's true who cares.
Yes I can see it as a need to purge the filth from power. Clean the whole house. Leave no stone unturned. I don't want a witch Hunt, but any and all valid claims should be immediately delt with up to and including the Pope! Then you can reflect. But what good is reflection with no action?

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/08/28/opinion/pope-francis-catholic-church-resign.html

During the Catholic Church’s synod on the family in Rome in 2015, a rough-and-tumble affair in which Pope Francis pushed the assembled bishops to liberalize Catholic teaching on remarriage and divorce, one of the attendees, by the pope’s own invitation, was the retired Belgian Cardinal Godfried Danneels.

Danneels was a natural pick in one sense: One of the church’s prominent liberals, he had been part of a circle that supported Jorge Bergoglio in the run-up to his election as Francis, and in a synodal fight with conservative bishops, the pope needed all the allies he could get.

In another sense, though, Danneels was a wildly inappropriate choice, because at the conclusion of his career he was caught on tape trying to persuade a young victim of sex abuse not to go public with allegations against the victim’s uncle, Bishop Roger Vangheluwe of Bruges, Belgium. For Pope Francis, who talked a good game about disciplining bishops for covering up sex abuse, hauling a cover-up artist out of retirement for a synod on the family was a statement that ideological loyalties mattered more to him than personal misconduct: Sex abuse might be bad, but what really mattered was being on the correct side of the Catholic civil war.

The Danneels case is useful context for thinking about the bomb that went off on an already cratered Catholic landscape over the weekend, when the former papal nuncio in the United States, Archbishop Carlo Maria Viganò, published a “testimony” accusing a raft of high Vatican officials of longstanding knowledge of the sexual crimes of Cardinal Theodore McCarrick.

Viganò’s document, extraordinary in both content and tone, claims that after years of failed American attempts to get Rome to take action, Francis’ predecessor, Benedict XVI, placed the already retired McCarrick under some form of sanctions — moving him out of his residence, restricting contact with seminarians, limiting public appearances. It further claims that despite being told that McCarrick was a sexual predator, Francis removed those sanctions, raised McCarrick’s profile and relied on him for advice about major appointments. Oh, and it calls on Francis to resign.

As yet none of the Vatican figures named in the document have stepped forward to either confirm or deny the meat of Viganò’s account. Francis himself offered only a deflecting comment on his flight back from post-Catholic Ireland. However, Cardinal Donald Wuerl of Washington, D.C., already embattled over sex abuse cover-ups in his own past, has issued a statement denying that Viganò ever communicated directly with him about restrictions on his predecessor.

Meanwhile the pope’s defenders have pointed to Viganò’s own anti-Francis conservatism (manifest in some of his sweeping claims) as reasons to disbelieve his charges, while noting that McCarrick appeared at many events, including with Benedict himself, in the period when he was supposedly under sanctions.

But at the same time evidence in favor of Viganò’s account is trickling out — including a claim of confirmation from people close to Benedict himself. And given the distracted and ineffectual way that the last pope ran the church, it’s very easy to imagine a distracted and ineffectual attempt to restrict McCarrick being subverted and ignored by the cardinal and his allies in the hierarchy.

In which case it’s also easy to imagine a scenario in which Francis didn’t technically “lift” those sanctions so much as acted in ignorance of them, or of their seriousness. He might have been given some knowledge, by Viganò and others, of the allegations against McCarrick but either assumed they couldn’t be that bad (at this point the cardinal mostly stood accused of imposing himself on seminarians, not teenage minors) or else chose to believe a denial from the accused cardinal himself. Why? In part because of perceived self-interest: Francis needed allies, McCarrick was sympathetic to the pope’s planned liberalizing push, and the pope wanted his help reshaping the ranks of American bishops.

In this scenario Francis would be guilty of self-deception and incuriosity but not as nakedly culpable as Viganò implies. And if it’s easy to imagine this scenario because of the Danneels example, it’s also easy to imagine because that’s how things have proceeded consistently in the church since the sex abuse scandals broke: If a given predator or enabler is “on side” for either conservatives or liberals, he will find defenders and protectors for as long as events and revelations permit.

That’s a major reason John Paul II refused to investigate Father Marcel Maciel, the wicked founder of the Legionaries of Christ — because the Legionaries were conservative, and apparently a great success, and that was all that mattered. It’s why many conservative Catholics unwisely defended John Paul II-appointed prelates like Boston's Bernard Law in the early 2000s. It’s why a notorious traditionalist priest, Father Carlos Urrutigoity, could find a welcome from conservative bishops in Pennsylvania and then Paraguay, despite a trail of abuse allegations.

Now it’s why certain organs and apostles of liberal Catholicism are running interference for McCarrick’s protectors — because Francis is their pope, the liberalizer they yearned for all through the John Paul and Benedict years, and all’s fair in the Catholic civil war.

But the inevitable, even providential irony is that this sort of team thinking never leads to theological victory, but only to exposure, shame, disaster. Indeed, the lesson of these bitter decades is that any faction hoping to lead Roman Catholicism out of crisis should begin with purges within its own ranks, with intolerance for any hint of corruption.

Francis, alas for everyone, did the opposite. Elected by cardinals eager for a cleanup at the Vatican, he wanted to be a theological change agent instead — which led him to tolerate the corrupt Roman old guard (whose names fill Viganò’s letter) and to rehabilitate liberal figures like Danneels, McCarrick and Cardinal Oscar Maradiaga of Honduras (a dubious figure with a predator among his underlings and a scandal at his seminary) who deserved the sidelines if not a penitent’s cell.

Now those allies may be the ruin of his pontificate. But this doesn’t mean that the pope should resign — not even if Viganò is fully vindicated. One papal resignation per millennium is more than enough. That cop-out should not be easily available to pontiffs confronted with scandals, including scandals of their own making, any more than it should be available to fathers.

Instead the faithful should press Francis to fulfill the paternal obligations at which he has failed to date, to purge the corruption he has tolerated and to supply Catholicism with what it has lacked these many years: a leader willing to be zealous and uncompromising against what Benedict called the “filth” in the church, no matter how many heads must roll on his own side of the Catholic civil war.

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/08/28/opinion/pope-francis-catholic-church-resign.html

During the Catholic Church’s synod on the family in Rome in 2015, a rough-and-tumble affair in which Pope Francis pushed the assembled bishops to liberalize Catholic teaching on remarriage and divorce, one of the attendees, by the pope’s own invitation, was the retired Belgian Cardinal Godfried Danneels.

Danneels was a natural pick in one sense: One of the church’s prominent liberals, he had been part of a circle that supported Jorge Bergoglio in the run-up to his election as Francis, and in a synodal fight with conservative bishops, the pope needed all the allies he could get.

In another sense, though, Danneels was a wildly inappropriate choice, because at the conclusion of his career he was caught on tape trying to persuade a young victim of sex abuse not to go public with allegations against the victim’s uncle, Bishop Roger Vangheluwe of Bruges, Belgium. For Pope Francis, who talked a good game about disciplining bishops for covering up sex abuse, hauling a cover-up artist out of retirement for a synod on the family was a statement that ideological loyalties mattered more to him than personal misconduct: Sex abuse might be bad, but what really mattered was being on the correct side of the Catholic civil war.

The Danneels case is useful context for thinking about the bomb that went off on an already cratered Catholic landscape over the weekend, when the former papal nuncio in the United States, Archbishop Carlo Maria Viganò, published a “testimony” accusing a raft of high Vatican officials of longstanding knowledge of the sexual crimes of Cardinal Theodore McCarrick.

Viganò’s document, extraordinary in both content and tone, claims that after years of failed American attempts to get Rome to take action, Francis’ predecessor, Benedict XVI, placed the already retired McCarrick under some form of sanctions — moving him out of his residence, restricting contact with seminarians, limiting public appearances. It further claims that despite being told that McCarrick was a sexual predator, Francis removed those sanctions, raised McCarrick’s profile and relied on him for advice about major appointments. Oh, and it calls on Francis to resign.

As yet none of the Vatican figures named in the document have stepped forward to either confirm or deny the meat of Viganò’s account. Francis himself offered only a deflecting comment on his flight back from post-Catholic Ireland. However, Cardinal Donald Wuerl of Washington, D.C., already embattled over sex abuse cover-ups in his own past, has issued a statement denying that Viganò ever communicated directly with him about restrictions on his predecessor.

Meanwhile the pope’s defenders have pointed to Viganò’s own anti-Francis conservatism (manifest in some of his sweeping claims) as reasons to disbelieve his charges, while noting that McCarrick appeared at many events, including with Benedict himself, in the period when he was supposedly under sanctions.

But at the same time evidence in favor of Viganò’s account is trickling out — including a claim of confirmation from people close to Benedict himself. And given the distracted and ineffectual way that the last pope ran the church, it’s very easy to imagine a distracted and ineffectual attempt to restrict McCarrick being subverted and ignored by the cardinal and his allies in the hierarchy.

In which case it’s also easy to imagine a scenario in which Francis didn’t technically “lift” those sanctions so much as acted in ignorance of them, or of their seriousness. He might have been given some knowledge, by Viganò and others, of the allegations against McCarrick but either assumed they couldn’t be that bad (at this point the cardinal mostly stood accused of imposing himself on seminarians, not teenage minors) or else chose to believe a denial from the accused cardinal himself. Why? In part because of perceived self-interest: Francis needed allies, McCarrick was sympathetic to the pope’s planned liberalizing push, and the pope wanted his help reshaping the ranks of American bishops.

In this scenario Francis would be guilty of self-deception and incuriosity but not as nakedly culpable as Viganò implies. And if it’s easy to imagine this scenario because of the Danneels example, it’s also easy to imagine because that’s how things have proceeded consistently in the church since the sex abuse scandals broke: If a given predator or enabler is “on side” for either conservatives or liberals, he will find defenders and protectors for as long as events and revelations permit.

That’s a major reason John Paul II refused to investigate Father Marcel Maciel, the wicked founder of the Legionaries of Christ — because the Legionaries were conservative, and apparently a great success, and that was all that mattered. It’s why many conservative Catholics unwisely defended John Paul II-appointed prelates like Boston's Bernard Law in the early 2000s. It’s why a notorious traditionalist priest, Father Carlos Urrutigoity, could find a welcome from conservative bishops in Pennsylvania and then Paraguay, despite a trail of abuse allegations.

Now it’s why certain organs and apostles of liberal Catholicism are running interference for McCarrick’s protectors — because Francis is their pope, the liberalizer they yearned for all through the John Paul and Benedict years, and all’s fair in the Catholic civil war.

But the inevitable, even providential irony is that this sort of team thinking never leads to theological victory, but only to exposure, shame, disaster. Indeed, the lesson of these bitter decades is that any faction hoping to lead Roman Catholicism out of crisis should begin with purges within its own ranks, with intolerance for any hint of corruption.

Francis, alas for everyone, did the opposite. Elected by cardinals eager for a cleanup at the Vatican, he wanted to be a theological change agent instead — which led him to tolerate the corrupt Roman old guard (whose names fill Viganò’s letter) and to rehabilitate liberal figures like Danneels, McCarrick and Cardinal Oscar Maradiaga of Honduras (a dubious figure with a predator among his underlings and a scandal at his seminary) who deserved the sidelines if not a penitent’s cell.

Now those allies may be the ruin of his pontificate. But this doesn’t mean that the pope should resign — not even if Viganò is fully vindicated. One papal resignation per millennium is more than enough. That cop-out should not be easily available to pontiffs confronted with scandals, including scandals of their own making, any more than it should be available to fathers.

Instead the faithful should press Francis to fulfill the paternal obligations at which he has failed to date, to purge the corruption he has tolerated and to supply Catholicism with what it has lacked these many years: a leader willing to be zealous and uncompromising against what Benedict called the “filth” in the church, no matter how many heads must roll on his own side of the Catholic civil war.

Thank you for providing an article that vindicates what I have been saying all along. Except he knew how horrible these men were and was in effect complicit. I still feel he should resign.

Oh, another friend of Pope Francis, Msgr Battista Ricca. Brought in by Francis himself to oversee the vatican bank. Has been outed for his many homosexual trists. Including being caught in an elevator with a homosexual prostitute. The names of close associates who also happen to be active homosexuals with more perverse leanings keep coming out.

No one is playing politics, these accusations are credible and have been substantiated. Even if it was political if it's true who cares.
Yes I can see it as a need to purge the filth from power. Clean the whole house. Leave no stone unturned. I don't want a witch Hunt, but any and all valid claims should be immediately delt with up to and including the Pope! Then you can reflect. But what good is reflection with no action?

Dude. .. I said reflection and change. See if you had reflected on what I wrote before you tried to assert your position you would not have missed that.

Back