Former Strikeforce Champion Cung Le Announces His Retirement

Discussion in 'UFC Discussion' started by Arkain2K, Jan 21, 2015.

1. Arkain2K

Arkain2K Si vis pacem, para bellum Double Yellow Card

Former Strikeforce middleweight champion and UFC fighter Cung Le announced his retirement from fighting on Tuesday through his management, Athletic Management Representation Group.

In a prepared statement, Le thanked his family and several others for their commitment and dedication through his 17-year fighting career that began in kickboxing in 1997 and ended with his last outing inside the UFC Octagon in 2014.

“After several months of thought and discussion with my wife and family, we realized our future includes many things, but active competition in mixed martial arts is no longer one of them. Therefore, I am officially announcing my retirement from active competition,” the 42-year-old wrote. “Fighting will never be far from my heart, and martial arts will always continue to be a part of my daily life. I have thoroughly enjoyed the career that I have been blessed with due in large part to all my fans and the many people who have helped me on my journey.

“I want to personally thank my wife, Suzanne, my three little ninjas, my mother, sister, and the rest of my incredible family for their support, prayers, and inspiration,” Le added. “I’d like to take this opportunity to personally thank Scott Coker for his long-time friendship and support of my career, Gary Ibarrra for your tenacity, to Khoa Do for everything, Scott Sheeley, you know, and to Jane Estioko, thank you for your loyalty. I’d also like to thank all of my past and present USH Team family members. I am grateful for every round.”

Le fought four times in the UFC. He was defeated in his promotional debut by Wanderlei Silva,*but*won his next two fights against Patrick Cote and Rich Franklin. He last fought at UFC Fight Night 48 in August, losing to Michael Bisping.

In December, Le was among the fighters that filed an anti-trust lawsuit against the UFC.

“I’m honored to be part of this lawsuit against the UFC for all the past UFC fighters like Carlos Newton and Nate (Quarry) and for all the future fighters,” said Le during a press conference announcing the suit. “And potentially one day if my kids want to pursue the same path as I do, they would have a better situation to be in. I’m just very excited to get this going.”

Despite his legal grievances with the fight promotion, Le recognized and thanked the UFC in his retirement announcement.

“I'd like to recognize the UFC for the opportunity they have provided me, the sport of mixed martial arts, and more importantly the fans who love it, you will never be far from my heart. It has truly been my honor and my privilege to entertain you,” he said.

http://sports.yahoo.com/news/former...g-le-announces-retirement-002256970--mma.html

Last edited: Jan 21, 2015
  2. Necrocrawler

Necrocrawler Purple Belt

Well, his spinning back stuff will be missed.

3. LegendOfThePast

LegendOfThePast White Belt

I would say that was A nice Career overall well done Le and may you enjoy your retirement

4. melvinj0

melvinj0 Gold Belt

Regardless of PED use Cung was an exciting fighter to watch. Was hoping he would take a few more fights outside of the UFC, but I'm guessing he is gonna go do movies full time.

5. Bushpig

Bushpig Migrating Platinum Member

^this. Scorpion king 5

One my favourite fighters in strikeforce. A mate of mine will always remind me of how he nearly decapitated wanderlei with a spinning head kick in their fight.

War Cung le

6. UJustGotChaeld

UJustGotChaeld Steel Belt

Personally I put no stock in the PED stuff for him. The people doing the test were clueless.

7. Outsider524

Outsider524 Brown Belt

He was old and didn't really care about fighting it was probably just a way to increase his brand and get more movies. Probably why he was busted cuz he didn't really see his man career worth more then his movie career..
    I'm probably way off but that's how it felt to me.

8. Arkain2K

Indeed.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

And ofcourse...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    Too bad the UFC screwed Cung Le's career over by using an unaccredited Chinese drug testing lab who performed the wrong test and then destroyed the test samples, the UFC then misread the result and publicly smeared his name when the test result (written in Chinese) is in fact well within the normal range, and then refuses to apologize when they realized that they've fucked up royally and forced to rescinds his suspension instead of embarassing themselves any further in Arbitration, while claiming that they did their best.

Which means a year later, even after Cung Le asked to be released from the UFC and announce his retirement from the sport, we'll STILL undoubtedly have ignorant Shertards coming in this thread just to display how little they know about the entire debacle. That's how damaging that botched test was to his image.

9. Tranaas

Tranaas Blue Belt

Can't really respect a PED user.

10. SherdogGoat

SherdogGoat Platinum & Braco Belt Banned

Le was awesome. He didn't live up to the hype but his spinning back kicks were a thing of beauty. I wish him well in whatever he plans to do in his future.

11. bzrkr

bzrkr Black Belt

Guess you're a saint then huh?

12. Alexandergreat3

Alexandergreat3 In Fedor We Trust, amen™

Became a fan of Le since his kickboxing days. Exciting fighter to watch. At his age, I think he made the right choice in retiring from MMA.

13. Tranaas

Tranaas Blue Belt

[​IMG]

Just a fight fan, bro.

14. Arkain2K

Called it.

It never cease to amaze me how some people just love to jump face-first into subjects they knew nothing about, just so they can get publicly humiliated.

15. Tranaas

Tranaas Blue Belt

Well, if this is true, I've been mistaken, and I apologize.

16. bjjHERRERA

bjjHERRERA Red Belt

dang- if only he were 10 years younger

17. melvinj0

melvinj0 Gold Belt

You will be missed

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

18. Arkain2K

I'm sad that we didn't get to see that scissor take-down in the UFC.

Perhaps one day somebody else will figure out a way to work it into an ankle-lock or knee-bar.

19. Phrozenspite

Phrozenspite Black Belt

If only he didnt duck jake shields in strikeforce

20. Arkain2K

UFC execs Dana White, Lorenzo Fertitta comment on retirement of Cung Le

[​IMG]

Cung Le