Rumored Former ONE WW Champ and former Bellator WW Champ is not a top 10 UFC WW ?

Is there anyone Askren can beat from the current UFC welterweight top 10 ?

gxY2Yjj.png

I want to say no, but he is still an elite wrestler and if he can get someone like Edwards or Ponzi down, I could see him getting a UD

Oh my god, that maybe be the worst WW ranking I have ever seen. Masvidal at #3???????? He lost to the now ranked #10 and #11. He beat #9 who was always extremely overrated. How can anyone with at least one living brain cell rank him higher than #8? And Diaz at #6 without even fighting a WW and he's about to face a LW but at WW! Who in the hell came up with these rankings? And yes, Askren would have a good chance against many of them. If you look at those rankings and think Askren can't beat any of them you have to be an idiot. Not that Askren is the best WW out there, but that ranking is a joke.

He just lost to #10 but let's reward him with #5
It's not as simple as that. It has a lot do so with who is scheduled already, are they both coming off losses, how did they look, and what would actually be interesting to fans. I think it would be an intriguing matchup.

It's not as simple as that. It has a lot do so with who is scheduled already, are they both coming off losses, how did they look, and what would actually be interesting to fans. I think it would be an intriguing matchup.
RDA coming off of 1 dec loss, Askren went out cold in his last 2

Ben wouldn't do shit against Diaz
Nate got ragdolled like a helpless puppy by pretty much every top grappler he ever faced while not having the power in his punches to put someone out cold when getting into close range. He's a guy that wins the stand-up with relentless volume, pressure and a granit chin, thus he's a bad match-up for lots of strikers but a very favorable match-up for strong grapplers

Nate beats up Pettis and gets #6? The UFC's internal rankings never cease to amaze me as use as a marketing/promotional tool.

Last edited:
If we really want to see whether Askren can actually be competitive he has to go through the WW gatekeepers.

He failed against Maia but RDA looms in the distance.

Ben came here to see if he stacks up so let’s find out. It’s not going well so far but srsly let’s not baby him.

Nate beats up Pettis and gets #6? The UFC's internal rankings never cease to amaze me as use of a marketing/promotional tool.
He also got to stick around in the top lightweight ranks until Conor had lost the belt and his own fight with Poirier was off, which was two years after his last fight at the time, and that fight was a loss. Meanwhile, McGregor is still in the PVP top 15, being 2-2 in his last 4 MMA bouts (alternative way to put it: in the last 3 and a half years). And Paige VanZant just re-entered the flyweight top 15 after Maycee Barber called her out.
Legit rankings, guys!

Nate got ragdolled like a helpless puppy by pretty much every top grappler he ever faced while not having the power in his punches to put someone out cold when getting into close range. He's a guy that wins the stand-up with relentless volume, pressure and a granit chin, thus he's a bad match-up for lots of strikers but a very favorable match-up for strong grapplers

Askren didn't last even 10 seconds against only elite striker he has faced in his career and got lighted up on feet by Demian Maia. Nate may have been ragdolled in past many years ago but he has improved lot since and his takedown defense is much better than Askren's striking defense.

I've seen Askren 3 times on UFC and none of those fights showed any signs that he could beat very well-rounded fighter like Nate with his extremely one-dimensional style.

Last edited:
Askren was a Bellator champ in 2013 and ONE champ in 2017. Retired, then came back. I wouldn't exactly say he's as good as he once was, to be fair.

He’s probably not championship material, but could easily be a gatekeeper n beat 1/2 of the guys on that list

mostly strikers

Rankings have been a joke since the Pride vs UFC rivalry when Dana would use his influence to pull press credentials from websites like sherdog for not acting as a marketing and propaganda outlet for them.

At one point, pride had 4 of the top 5 heavyweights for a few years.

Fedor, Big Nog, Kharotonov, Cro-cop.

These guys all would have obliterated Tim Syvlia and Frank Mir at the time. Arlovski would have been killed too.

But if you looked at the UFCs rankings at the time they had Tim Sylvia at #1 or 2.

Sylvia was at best #4-5 heavyweight in the world at his peak.

Love RDA, but Ben would wrestlefuck him worse than Khabib did. Ben also wins the rematch against Jorge, the knee was a once in a lifetime occurrence. Unless either of these guys land a knockout strike, they are toast, and I don't see either of them doing that (again).
What are you basing this on? He's fought 3 times in the UFC and got put out 3 times

Back