Form Check please

Discussion in 'Strength & Conditioning Discussion' started by Balkos, Oct 11, 2013.

1. Balkos

Balkos White Belt

Any input is appreciated.
    I know I'm rounding my back doing the cleans. I am thinking of switching to hanging cleans or getting some boxes to place the weight on. With the 10lb plates on there the bar is too low to the ground.

[YT]aSHQbvzOjZA[/YT]

[YT]qIT9zCEqKXs[/YT]

thanks

2. SirDiddymus

SirDiddymus Banned Banned

3. JauntyAngle

JauntyAngle International man of mystery

My advice would be to not do any of the things you are doing in this video. :)

Very roughly:

- Start with the knees in line with the elbows, or just past- i.e. a bit lower. Lower back a bit straighter. Weight on the mid-foot.
    - As you lift, draw the hips back as well as up, and shift your weight onto your heels. The hips and the bar should still rise with the same velocity, but the movement and hips and shifting of weight should cause the bar to move inward towards you
    - Once the bar gets to the knees, straighten/extend your back causing the bar to track up your thighs
    - Once the bar is close to the crease of the thighs, move your hips forward and up slightly as fast as you can, and then back- they will make some contact with the bar at this point, and at this point you can also pull with your hands
    - As soon as you have popped your hips forward and back, and pulled with your hands, drop down under the bar. For the power clean, it's just a small drop, but it's still a drop. Pop and drop.
    - As you are coming under the bar, bring elbows up, finish with the bottom of your arms parallel with the ground, bar resting around about between your collar bone and deltoids

I really like this video for explaining all of this:

Squat looks basically okay, maybe your upper back could be tighter (grip narrower, squeeze the shoulderblades) although it's hard to tell from this angle. You probably need to use a bit more weight to see what is going wrong, if anything.

Last edited: Oct 11, 2013
  4. toonie

toonie Tuesday

Your walk out and set up is good.

Your descent looks a little unstable. It looks like you're favouring your left side slightly. It also looks like you shift your weight forward a little bit. Sit back a bit more onto your heels. More angles and more weight would be helpful in seeing where your form falls apart.

I also agree that you can always tighten your upperback more.

Also, personal preference, but are you able to squat without your face being two feet from the wall? That would drive me bonkers.

5. NurseKnuckles

NurseKnuckles My Mom's stronger than you belt

6. Balkos

Balkos White Belt

Ok thanks for all the input. For the cleans that is really the first time i have ever done them. I just watched some vids and read about them and kind of winged it. I will work on the pointers thanks.

This is also the second time i have done squats since breaking my right ankle about 8 months ago. I did them 2 days before and i think that hindered me a bit in this vid as I was still very sore/stiff. I will post another video in a couple of weeks once I have had some more time practicing and see if it makes any difference.

2 questions. Sirdiddymus how do I open my hips more? Just stand wider?

Also how can you tell my back is not tight? I thought I was pushing my shoulder blades together like a mofo.

And ya I guess I don't need to be that close to the wall lol my rack has to sets of Jhooks maybe I'll use the ones on the other side.

7. SirDiddymus

SirDiddymus Banned Banned

To open the hips more, point the feet a bit outwards, and let the knees follow the feet in the same angle when you go down. Feet should be at shoulder width, maybe even a bit mor. Point the feet outwards slightly, and when you go down let the knees go out in the same direction as the knees. not straight forward. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zoZWgTrZLd8 When you do it right you will feel it right away. When you go below parallel, the tension switches to your hip and the glutes, Hams and hips really drive you out of that deep bottom.

For a tighter back do snatch grip deadlifts, it really forces thoracic extension.

Nurseknuckles pic is actually good advice. You should put your toes at the wall and be able to squat down without any other part of your body touching the wall. Knees included.

Last edited: Oct 11, 2013
  8. Balkos

Balkos White Belt

Ya I tired what the guy in Nurseknuckles pic is doing and i fall backwards once i get close to parallel. Is that lack of mobility? shitty balance?