1. The official Sherdog Store is back! Check it out! » Discuss it here! »

Forgotten Promotions-Extreme Fighting

Discussion in 'UFC Discussion' started by ferrisjso, Oct 13, 2021 at 2:35 PM.

1. ferrisjso "Brewer"

Extreme Fighting was the first promotion in the US that introudced weight classes. Operating between 1995 and 1997 for only 4 events both the UFC HW and LHW would fight the former EF champions in their first title defenses. While LHW champ Igor Zinoviev was KO'd within seconds by Frank Shamrock and never fought again HW champion Maurice Smith won the UFC belt over Mark Coleman.

2 of Frank Shamrocks other title opponents had prior fights in EF, John Lober who fought Zinoviev to a draw and Kevin Jackson who finished Lober. Another notable is Mario Sperry who after losing to Zinoviev for the inagural EF LHW title in 1995 never lost again until Pride 20 where he was stopped by Murilo Rua.

Last edited: Oct 13, 2021 at 9:18 PM
  2. PicoPulse Bellator Shill

Soon to be

The UFC

y.91 likes this.
  3. Get To Da Choppa Black Belt

It evolved into the ultimate form of combat and athleticism, Extreme Arm Wrestling

Speedy1, CaptHANDSUP and Exarch01 like this.
  4. Fioretti Beef

Sperry was a good fighter. Always forget about him.

rjmbrd and ferrisjso like this.
  5. Scouseknight Green Belt

I recall buying a VHS of World Combat Championship - Renzo Gracie was in it - first time I'd seen him fight - thought he was a bit of a dirty fighter in that. I believe that was the one and only event that promotion held but it was tournament format like early UFCs were.

Grappling Magic and blurple like this.
  6. Exarch01 Purple Belt

[​IMG]

7. Grappling Magic SAKU BELT

Yes, I remember this. I also remember Renzo stepping over the back of Ben Spijkers neck after choking him out because Spijkers almost beat him. Cecil Peoples (referee) was PISSED and started calling him a dirty fighter and that Renzo disgraced the Gracie Family by doing that.

Last edited: Oct 13, 2021 at 3:22 PM
    Scouseknight likes this.
  8. Scouseknight Green Belt

Brings back memories for sure. I have the VHS still just don't have a means to play it. Didn't realise it was Peoples refereeing though! Thanks for the information there much appreciated!

Paolo Delutis and Espresso like this.
  9. Pliny Pete Puts Butts In Seats

Isnt Extreme Fighting the promotion that messed up the UFC's deal to eventually hold a show in NYC?
    If I remember the story correctly, and I may be way off cause its been a long time, the original UFC promoters had a deal to hold shows in upstate New York as a test case and then slowly work their way down to the bright lights of New York City but Extreme Fighting came in outta nowhere and scheduled a show in Brooklyn and that caused the state commission to break the deal and outlaw MMA completely

10. Joshuaace Geezer Belt

Zinoviev escaping mount from Sperry multiple times prior to kicking his head off, kind of marked the 1st time I really remember anyone escaping full mount from a top end BJJ player.

tasticles, Goatenstein and Fioretti like this.
  11. kingghidrah Purple Belt

The fight wasn't even close, don't lie and say Spijkers almost beat him. It was barely a fight, Spijkers gave up his back immediately.

They had some beef before the fight, so Renzo was a dick. No worse than Hendo's H-bomb on an unconscious Bispiing certainly in terms of damage.

HockeyBjj likes this.
  12. kingghidrah Purple Belt

Mark Coleman, not Severn

13. Goatenstein Black Belt

It was unheard of at the time. Mount was almost automatically a fight ender.

14. Espresso @Terrorist Rat Led BathtubBrothers #DefendorVacate

Casual confirmed

15. Bullitt68 Senior Moderator Staff Member Senior Moderator

Extreme Fighting is also the organization where Matt Hume transitioned from Pancrase to NHB and beat Erik Paulson and Pat Miletich. (And if you want to talk about forgotten promotions, Pancrase is right up there with the UFC and PRIDE for me as one of the GOAT and a lot of my favorite fights of all-time happened in the Pancrase ring between 1993 and 1996.) Though Hume fought once more a few years later, his fight with Miletich - who going into the fight was 15-0 and would suffer the first loss of his career to Hume, about whom he could never be complimentary enough - essentially capped off the fighting career for the man who would go on to be the excellent trainer of, most notably, Josh Barnett and Demetrious Johnson.

You mean Mark Coleman. Coleman took the title from Severn then Mo took the title from Coleman.

To be fair, Sperry only fought a handful of times between those years. It's not like he fought 25 times and was just smashing fools left and right.

Yes and no. They certainly didn't help things, but New York politicians were doing their best - and the media was making things even worse - to keep the UFC out of NYC before Extreme Fighting came into the picture.

16. Pitier of Fools Brown Belt

Wow, I didn't know Renzo did that. What a low class move.

Probably the only thing I've ever agreed with Cecil Peoples on.

Last edited: Oct 13, 2021 at 6:56 PM
    Grappling Magic likes this.
  17. dildos Titanium Belt

rio heroes.

SL1200 likes this.
  18. Bullitt68 Senior Moderator Staff Member Senior Moderator

Back then, the Gracies were like a gang. And none of them even seemed remotely familiar with the concept of good sportsmanship. Tons of diva behavior demanding special rules that suited them while at the same time breaking rules that they didn't like.

In short, there's a reason that there's always been a lot of Gracie hate: They unfortunately earned a lot of it.

Exarch01 likes this.
  19. ferrisjso "Brewer"

My bad.

20. ferrisjso "Brewer"

Yeah people tell history like it was a UFC v Pride showdown but that was only the case in the very end in the early 2000s Rings and Pancrase were big. Pride only clearly surpassed Pancrase when they absorbed majority of RINGS roster.