Foreman Vs Ali, new impressions

Discussion in 'Boxing Discussion' started by Hirashin, Jul 17, 2020.

1. djacobox372 Gold Belt

This fight wasn't nearly as one-sided in the beginning as people claim. Ali was landing lead right hands at will... he won the first couple rounds, then foreman got angry and took a few rounds while Ali played possum. Ali was in control the entire night, and when he decided to turn it up a bit, he stopped George rather easily.

Ultra O’Dia and SandaKicker like this.
  2. mozfonky We oughta be fightin' a bottle of Geritol.

i'll never believe angie said foreman would have won a rematch, even if he did, he'd be wrong. Angie was delusional when it came to his fighters.., and he knew it, calling himself a "biased bum". We're talking about a guy who Ferdie Pacheco quoted as saying that Ali should have beaten holmes a year after that fight, no way. Unless we're talking about Foreman-Ali '90.

3. Oogie Sharp Double Yellow Card Double Yellow Card

Foreman didn't look that hurt, but like a man who just completed a 50 mile run. EXHAUSTED. You can see his chest heaving up and down violently, while he's on the ground.

Hilarious hearing that limey guy screaming throughout the fight... watch it Ali...Bbeeee caaarrrreefuulllll. Everytime George threw a punch. George was terrifying back then.

David Frost is who it sounded like.

Roids likes this.
  4. spacetime Double Yellow Card Double Yellow Card

We know that Foreman wouldn't have won the rematch. He wasn't the same afterwards and he lost to Jimmy Young.

5. TheGreatA Silver Belt

You could see that even when George was old, he still had complete faith in his power. He always felt like he was just one punch away from winning.

It hurt him on the scorecards at times, but he rarely needed to worry about them.

The way he dropped Moorer as an old man, after barely winning a round in the fight, it pretty much solidified everything about him and his style. He had a lot of doubters believing that his power was overrated at that point. Foreman himself though looked like he was completely expecting to drop Moorer, he just didn't know when. Then he started mumbling randomly about the three knockdown rule and how he needed to finish it in one punch, which probably only made sense to him.

He had a very eccentric way of viewing boxing and it showed in his boxing commentary. He could never admit that a fight was lost, even when the losing fighter had pillow hands. In his mind, the fight was always just one punch away. I'm not sure if he ever even paid attention to how the fights are scored, because to him, the fight ends in a KO.

Hirashin and Ultra O’Dia like this.
  6. TheGreatA Silver Belt

Foreman was gassed as hell, and done. Part of that is probably because he got dehydrated, his trainer Dick Saddler was old school and subscribed to the view that heavyweights ought to weigh under 220 pounds, otherwise they're fat and out of shape. So they always trained Foreman down to around 220, even though he was naturally probably more of a 230+ pounder.

It shows in the fact that he had better stamina as an old man even though he was carrying extra weight. And I think his ability to conserve himself is a little over-estimated at times, he was still swinging haymakers as an old man, fighting a very high-paced fight against Holyfield. He just didn't gas out.

Oogie Sharp likes this.
  7. mozfonky We oughta be fightin' a bottle of Geritol.

god bless ol' george, i was overjoyed, maybe one of my happiest moments in the sport when he kayoed Moorer.

8. Heath Robinson journeyman poster

Foreman had punched himself out by then and was running on fumes. Not a drop left in the tank. Ali would have finished him soon enough afterward.

Roids likes this.
  9. spacetime Double Yellow Card Double Yellow Card

I think there was a loss if you get up and go into a corner.. There was something on the rules that made Foreman lose on the spot even if he beat the count. I don't remember what it was exactly

10. spacetime Double Yellow Card Double Yellow Card

I think it's a variation of turning your back against your opponent.

11. Ultra O’Dia Brown Belt

that does describe him as an announcer for sure.

i think the Ali fight was a real one off from him. He paced himself well usually, and especially as an old man. He went fucking bananas vs Ali, and with the heat added in.... he looked straight up weak for long periods of that fight. Ali was leaning on him and even pushing him around.

I wasnt around then, but it seems like people didnt really know just how tough Ali was yet, either. Had he fought Shavers and Lyle first, Foreman might have known that he was in for a long night. I know Ali had been dropped by Joe and had his jaw broken by Norton by then, but i think this was the first fight where he just stood still and let a huge puncher wail on him.

12. mb2621 Green Belt

Boxers beat sluggers and this fight was a textbook example. Foreman would not have seen the end of the ninth round at that rate of exhaustion.

13. Heath Robinson journeyman poster

Foreman's most recent 12 fights prior to fighting Ali lasted a combined 24 rounds. He just didn't have the stamina for a long fight.

The bigger picture is Foreman was 40-0 prior to fighting Ali and had only ever seen the 8th round 4 times.

SandaKicker likes this.
  14. Hirashin This is not a profession

Yes, Goergy was exhausted, but who's to say Ali was much fresher of the two?

I think that more times than not, Foreman wins this fight. Ali was a genius that could fight the odds, but he had an iron chin and will to do it.

This may be a big underlooked factor then..

15. droolingliver Blue Belt

Cus D’Amato advised Ali to hit George with the hard punch as soon as the fight started. Ali called him to see what he thought about the match. Not sure if that was a regular occurrence, but he definitely had respect for Cus’s opinion.

Shael likes this.
  16. mozfonky We oughta be fightin' a bottle of Geritol.

i remember kenny norton saying something about how ali and frazier had most likely gained a couple pounds after "drying out" for Manila, i thought, "why would a heavyweight dry out? " maybe they just used to do it for appearances. Ali, the older and more slovenly he became, the weight was harder to hide and keep off. In fact, Ferdie Pacheco recalled how the ever so vain ali wanted to spar with no cup because he thought it made him look slimmer.

17. Shael Silver Belt

Just to piggyback off this post Foreman maintains to this day that and no point in his career could he have defeated Ali. Whether that's an assessment of his skills vs Ali's or, his mental disadvantage, I'm not sure

18. Cylence Flying Arlovski Belt

Ali honestly punked George in that first round. Those right hand leads had a lot of power on them, and most of them were fast as hell.

Overall, it was an absolute masterclass of a performance by Ali. At range, he would shoot straight jabs down the middle, something Jimmy Young would later use to bedevil George. While tied up, he would pull down on George's head/neck to take away his stability and sap his strength. Against the ropes, he would talk shit and then cover up while George wailed away and caught mostly arms and elbows. A few times throughout the fight, after George had swung himself into temporary exhaustion, Ali would pick it up and land fast, ripping combinations to the head, which would semi-stagger George.

That said, George landed a lot of blows that would have sent most heavyweights in history to the shadow realm. Ali was just so determined that night though, he did a great job of acting unaffected. It looked like a fully developed professional fighting a talented amateur.

As far as a rematch goes, I have two wildly different opinions on it. If it happened immediately, I always saw Ali winning. I just thought he was in George's head at that time, and there's a reason why George didn't box for fifteen months, aside from the Frightful Five spectacle. If it happened after Manila, I favor George, but I could see Ali pulling another rabbit out of his hat. He was running on fumes at that time, but still did have enough to stand up to Shavers.