forearm conditioning

Push

White Belt
Reaction score
Recently while grappling my forearms have been burning out really fast. I don't gas out, just my forearms and it makes gripping and finishing harder. What are some exercises that I can do at home to increase the stamina in my forearms?

Another exercise you can do to build endurance is to rapidly close and open your fingers, for repetitions in the dozens or hundreds.

It doesn't seem like much of an exercise at first, but it does require and develop endurance. Some very, very strong judo men have done it as a part of their training.

Throw some forearm curls in to your lifting workout. Do them with an underhand grip forward out in front of you and the same grip behind your back.

I've started using the shrug gizmo with the parallel handles to do some FW style supporting grip work. It's completly unknurled and some twat went as far as to chrome the thing so even with chalk it's quite fun once you get up over 200kgs.

pick up something heavy. hold on to it till you cant hold on to it anymore. repeat with different heavy object.

One I learned at Judo is to hold your arms out and open and close your hands keep doing this until it starts burning and then smash through the pain barrier and keep doing it.

Hanging from a bar and holding on as long as you can. Add a towel to add a bit of grip work to it. Erm, I suppose very light high rep wrist roller and wrist curls might help. Knuckle pushups.

Another thing similar is to hold your arm out straight forward...palms facing away from you...move your wrist up and down until your forearm feels like its gonna cramp the hell up.

+1 to rock climbing and any variations you can think of

On top of all of this conserve your energi.

I don't know how long you have been grappling for, so you may already have learned this, but I've always been very choke happy, so I used to keep burning my arms out going for all sorts of brabo, anaconda, guillotine, rear naked and side chokes. I'm not saying you should stop going for the kill, but don't stress your forearms unless the opportunity truly is there. Wait for it and then go for the kill, and remember that you forearms are the first part of you body to tire when grappling.

Try using other muscle groups for movements - when you're fighting for the armbar pull with your posterior chain, not your arms etc.. Use underhooks and overhooks instead of struggling to hold on to wrists. The forearms are sort of a precious resource in grappling in my experience.

Another exercise you can do to build endurance is to rapidly close and open your fingers, for repetitions in the dozens or hundreds.

It doesn't seem like much of an exercise at first, but it does require and develop endurance. Some very, very strong judo men have done it as a part of their training.

Yeah, that's pretty old school.

Wrist rollers, farmers walk, coc grippers, pinching and holding onto the end of a dumbell with your fingers, etc...

or you could also practice grip drills with a partner, that's if you are wearing a gi.

Towel-pull-ups
Heavy cable choppers (holdin' a rope)
DOH grip deadlifts
Shrugs
Gripper work
Sledge work

And everythin' everybody else has said

try this itll get your grip and foreamrs real strong.

<object width="425" height="355"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/UlcQ3mxlNfs&hl=en"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/UlcQ3mxlNfs&hl=en" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="355"></embed></object>

Back