Force all influencers to go to college

I agree heuristics are needed but what I'm talking about is the inability to adapt the heuristics learned in the classroom to different but similar problems.

Strange... Most of my students can do that. Some can't, but they shouldn't be science majors.

It would be too expensive to send everyone to college and especially good college, so you have to start with their leaders
Really, it’s more than there has been a concerted anti-intellectual movement taking hold in the US for the past couple decades. I’m not saying everyone has to go to college. But as many people who can should, and everyone should understand critical thinking, and that smart people aren’t in fact stupid. Or that the more money you make the smarter you are. Because people actually think that shit. Americans mostly.

On a related note I read on LinkedIn all the time about how people with degrees don't have any real world nous or experience. I wonder how many times this is said by people without a degree?

On a related note I read on LinkedIn all the time about how people with degrees don't have any real world nous or experience. I wonder how many times this is said by people without a degree?
The value of a degree went way down and the price went up.

That's when a thing like experience becomes more valuable.

What it really comes down to though is connections and being accepted if you get that people will take you under their wing and show you the way.

The people that rule the world for the most part went to a handful of boarding schools. That includes Elon Musk and Zuckerberg.

That is true but seems to me like it was less of financial thing and more of aristicratic thing where the people who get better education are the ones who are wealthier and can afford to go to private and charter schools.

One theory I have heard is that public schools were invented to take care of factory workers kids when women were encouraged to go into the work force. As time goes on the education is geared more towards sending kids to mid level jobs as accountants or managers.

I don’t think there’s any malevolent plan to purposefully dumb down education. I think it’s just a natural consequence of the fact that it is extraordinarily hard to teach in a creative way, which requires an ecosystem of not only brilliant teachers, but involved parents, curriculums that have been refined over many years, equipment, standardization from the government that isn’t terrible, and even a culture of respect for knowledge

The value of a degree went way down and the price went up.

That's when a thing like experience becomes more valuable.

What it really comes down to though is connections and being accepted if you get that people will take you under their wing and show you the way.

The people that rule the world for the most part went to a handful of boarding schools. That includes Elon Musk and Zuckerberg.

You make fair points and I agree with a lot of it. Though it's worth saying that not all degrees were made equal, and I think degrees are often created due to student demand, not industry demand which causes over and under supply in some areas.

That said assuming people with degrees don't have hands on experience is not always true. Though when I consider it it's not always a bad thing, often an advantage if someone is underrating you in a work situation.

With the amount of college grads I’ve hired over the years who looked great on paper and interviewed well but were borderline retarded once the job began, I honestly barely look at post secondary education and just focus more on experience and certificates.

More liberal teachers would do our impressionable youth some good..

You make fair points and I agree with a lot of it. Though it's worth saying that not all degrees were made equal, and I think degrees are often created due to student demand, not industry demand which causes over and under supply in some areas.

That said assuming people with degrees don't have hands on experience is not always true. Though when I consider it it's not always a bad thing, often an advantage if someone is underrating you in a work situation.
I think demanding experience, was a way to devalue new hires so you get the labor for cheaper.

From an employers position it's super expensive to train people just so they can leave you once you've built them up.

The fact is the next generation now gets all their information from influencers.

People have always resorted to listening to authoritative figures for their choices (god forbid they have to think analytically to decide what is good for them), only the influencers of yesteryears were actually trained professionals

Now influencers are, I’m not going to say idiots, more like smart but unscrupulous fame whores. So I propose a law which forces all influencers to attend and pass some of the highest education this country has to offer before they can continue to influence. It’s not perfect, it’s not like a high level education is guaranteed to make you a more conscientious human being, but it’s a start

Discuss

PS Also throw in some hard labor

Too cumbersome.

Just cut off all their tongues.

I don’t think there’s any malevolent plan to purposefully dumb down education. I think it’s just a natural consequence of the fact that it is extraordinarily hard to teach in a creative way, which requires an ecosystem of not only brilliant teachers, but involved parents, curriculums that have been refined over many years, equipment, standardization from the government that isn’t terrible, and even a culture of respect for knowledge
Its not easy but tge soviet union figured out how to give a world class education to talented kids in rural areas without immediate access to talented teachers 60 years ago. As did the Hungarian schools did by creating classsrooms that taught math to young children through board games and bit of self exploration (combinatorics).

Not a commie by the way I just believe in taking the good things from other cultures.

LOL what isn’t

Haha fair enough!

Seriously though, the easier it is for young people to bypass gatekeepers, the better. Obviously I want healthcare professionals to go through extensive gatekeeping, but most professions shouldn't have to go through it.

These influencers found a way to directly reach their audience without having to go through the typical bullshit of sucking up to bosses or "paying their dues." That's awesome! Twenty years ago, they'd have to suck Harvey Weinstein's dick, but now they can completely cut through that nonsense. They don't need education to do their role, so college would be pointless for them. I'm all for this new decentralized future.

Its not easy but tge soviet union figured out how to give a world class education to talented kids in rural areas without immediate access to talented teachers 60 years ago. As did the Hungarian schools did by creating classsrooms that taught math to young children through board games and bit of self exploration (combinatorics).

Not a commie by the way I just believe in taking the good things from other cultures.
Hmm would be interested in reading more about this if you have some articles etc

Lol there's definitely a lot of cope by people who don't have degrees. Though there's also a lot of cope by people who have degrees but little skill.

Haha fair enough!

Seriously though, the easier it is for young people to bypass gatekeepers, the better. Obviously I want healthcare professionals to go through extensive gatekeeping, but most professions shouldn't have to go through it.

These influencers found a way to directly reach their audience without having to go through the typical bullshit of sucking up to bosses or "paying their dues." That's awesome! Twenty years ago, they'd have to suck Harvey Weinstein's dick, but now they can completely cut through that nonsense. They don't need education to do their role, so college would be pointless for them. I'm all for this new decentralized future.

I can appreciate the not needing to go through gatekeepers that have no purpose other than serve themselves, but at the same time they influence how people behave and interact, so it would be nice if they were “better” human beings

Back